Equalizer for hearing aid?

Mariusz Uszynski

Equalizer for hearing aid?
« on: 18 Jan 2022, 12:12 am »
Hi guys.Can equalizer make up for hearing loss?Instead of using hearing aid, I would like to adjust the sound of my system with equalizer.I don't really like using hearing aid, it's impossible to get it right.28 years of work in extremally heavy industry, damaged my hearing and spine.Thank you very much in advance.

Mag

Re: Equalizer for hearing aid?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2022, 12:59 am »
   With Bryston gear my experience is that an equalizer masks the sound or in other words the distortion levels are not low enough so what you're hearing is the lower in sound quality equalizer.

What I'm doing is using a mixer. With my secondary computer I use the mixer app Voice Meeter along with Amazon HD. I boost the mid-range to +6 bass +2 and treble +2. For my taste boosting the mid-range is where most of the music content is and I like the results.

With the main rig I'm using a Yamaha MG-10 which my findings has .01 distortion. Not quite as good as Bryston gear but to my ears I cannot tell if there is masking going on. Anyway I boost the frequency spectrum similar as above. However the real benefit of using the mixer is adjusting the line level. You'll have to play with it to get it right, not too high and not too low.

In addition to above on main rig up I upscale or unsample multiple times to get the transparency that I want and like in recordings.

Anyway try using a mixer and boosting the mid-range. You can thank me later. :smoke:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2022, 01:46 am »
Hi guys.Can equalizer make up for hearing loss?Instead of using hearing aid, I would like to adjust the sound of my system with equalizer.I don't really like using hearing aid, it's impossible to get it right.28 years of work in extremally heavy industry, damaged my hearing and spine. Thank you very much in advance.
As a hearing aid user, I can say that an equalizer, like hearing aids, will not work miracles. I do not wear my hearing aids while listening. An equalizer can boost those frequencies that I cannot hear so well. While some will say that's Bullshit, I can say it does work well. If you have a good Equalizer, give it a try. My equalizer does not "mask" the sound in any way. I'm using an SAE 2700B equalizer.

Everyone that has been here for a listening session is surprised that an equalizer can work so well. While your mmv I suggest you give it a try... A good Equalizer can be found for a reasonable price.
Post your thoughts and experience!

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2022, 02:02 pm »
This is an amazing toy.
It's not cheap, but studio gear never is. You can finetune the sound to fill the missing gaps in your ear's frequency response.

R. Daneel

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2022, 05:05 pm »
Hi guys.Can equalizer make up for hearing loss?Instead of using hearing aid, I would like to adjust the sound of my system with equalizer.I don't really like using hearing aid, it's impossible to get it right.28 years of work in extremally heavy industry, damaged my hearing and spine.Thank you very much in advance.

Hi Mariusz!

Let me first say I sympathize with the problems you are having. Sorry to hear that mate!

Onto your question. Unfortunately, an EQ for your audio system cannot compensate for the defficiency. Hearing aids are compensated for close proximity to the ear drum and the 'space' (for a lack of a better word) in which they operate is small so they can typically achieve this with minimal distortion and resonance. This is typically not the case with a room, even an acoustically treated one. As a result, you might solve one problem and create another. However, all of this is academic and the results would be highly dependent on your room and, of course, your goal.

The hassle is, human hearing is very adaptive, both in frequency and volume, so results inevitably vary and music, well, it can be hardly approximated by a pre-set list of test tones.

Still, I encourage you to try. Obviosuly, this is a highly personal topic and I thank you for your openness and raising awareness. It should happen to all of us more often I think!

Cheers - Antun

listenermark

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2022, 05:27 pm »
Steve Guttenburg just posted a pod cast that deals with this exact issue.  https://audiophiliacpodcast.buzzsprout.com/

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2022, 10:29 pm »
Guys, thank you very much for all the comments and sympathy.Lately, there's more than tinnitus, there's lot of headaches, bit of pressure in my head and vertigos.In two days, I'm getting hearing aid adjusted again and see the doctor about all the symptoms, some of them may be connected to 4 damaged disks and spinal cord.The idea of 5500 Stereo/Dual Mono equalizer looks and sounds really good, local music store has 30 days return policy, perhaps I should try it out.Again, thank you very much for all the help.

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2022, 12:44 am »
  I have an API 5500 dual channel graphic equalizer. I needed it to balance the room tones in our new condo. The room is cubical and without this device  everything was bloated . It has a fully balanced outputs as well as single ended RCAs It's specs match  my Brysyon gear for distortion values . It was a pricey 3200. bucks but well worth the satisfaction it has granted me  :thumb:

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2022, 12:54 am »
  I have an API 5500 dual channel graphic equalizer. I needed it to balance the room tones in our new condo. The room is cubical and without this device  everything was bloated . It has a fully balanced outputs as well as single ended RCAs It's specs match  my Brysyon gear for distortion values . It was a pricey 3200. bucks but well worth the satisfaction it has granted me  :thumb:
Thank you, good to know it's worth it.I believe, you also have Bryston BCD-3 and you're happy with it too.API 5500, does it come in 17" or 19" width?

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2022, 12:57 am »
 Oh  yes , for sure.  The BCD1 was a fine piece but the new unit digs out more subtle nuances and seems to have a more precise sound stage. , again , no regrets...LOL  The 5500 is 19". the BCD 3 is 17. And by the way, the loader in the BCD3 is a finer piece of gear as well.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2022, 01:00 am »
Oh  yes , for sure.  The BCD1 was a fine piece but the new unit digs out more subtle nuances and seems to have a more precise sound stage. , again , no regrets...LOL  The 5500 is 19". the BCD 3 is 17.
Ok, thank you.

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2022, 01:04 am »
Oh  yes , for sure.  The BCD1 was a fine piece but the new unit digs out more subtle nuances and seems to have a more precise sound stage. , again , no regrets...LOL  The 5500 is 19". the BCD 3 is 17. And by the way, the loader in the BCD3 is a finer piece of gear as well.
Did it take long get sound you like, lots of tweeking?Like I mentioned before, my hearing is bit damaged.

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2022, 01:50 am »
You likely be better off using an equalizer with headphones. Even so there's only so much that can be done to boost the frequencies where you have a hearing loss.

A number of years ago the Smyth Realizer was being marketed for addressing hearing loss but it looks like the company may have changed direction.

https://smyth-research.com/

mav52

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jan 2022, 01:28 pm »
Maybe a program like EqualizerAPO and the Peace Plugin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFCXWMV5YfQ.

I know a few that are using it and it seems to work well.

OldNick

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2022, 05:19 pm »
Some hearing aids (Widex for example) have phone apps that allow some equalization of the profile set by your audiologist.  I've used that to help with the fine tuning for music listening.  In addition, some (Widex again i know) have remote adjustment capability so that adjustments can be made via phone link while you are in front of your audio system.  I found this to be most helpful.