Supertweeter with your Daedalus speakers????

cheech

Supertweeter with your Daedalus speakers????
« on: 2 May 2021, 07:07 pm »
Is anyone using, or have tried a supertweeter with your Daedalus speakers> If so, I 'd appreciate any comments regarding which brand/model you use and your experience with SQ impact. Thank you

advanced101

Re: Supertweeter with your Daedalus speakers????
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2021, 12:07 pm »
Although I don't have any experience with super tweeters...

My Orpheus had two rear ambience drivers, my Zeus does not.  I have it on my list of things to try when the upgrade bug hits again to audition an Aperion super tweeter.  I will try it as a rear facing "ambience" driver.  They offer a generous trial period so there is little risk. 

Going back and forth with the Orpheus ambience drivers on and off led me to prefer it on the on position at the lowest volume setting, did some nice things.

cheech

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2021, 03:51 pm »
Thank you  for your response

guf

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2021, 05:28 pm »
There is a thread or chat on WBF about the super tweeter cult... I though it was funny wording. I have no experience with Daedalus speakers and super tweeters but i'd think most modern speakers should not need them. I tried with a pair of omega single drivers and in the end, after lots of experiments they were better without. I do use them with my vintage Altecs.

I LOVED my one experience with Daedalus. it was life changing.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2021, 06:41 pm »
There is a thread or chat on WBF about the super tweeter cult... I though it was funny wording. I have no experience with Daedalus speakers and super tweeters but i'd think most modern speakers should not need them. I tried with a pair of omega single drivers and in the end, after lots of experiments they were better without. I do use them with my vintage Altecs.

Yeah, ddk on WBF is a character to put it nicely. If not in public I might choose other words, lol...  He will denigrate anything he doesn't like, even though he has absolutely no technical understanding of pretty much anything. Examples are referring to people who use supertweeters as being part of a "cult", calling tube traps "room tampons", etc. It's classless.

IMO, both Omega and Daedalus extend too high to add a supertweeter, you'll get too much overlap. Some people don't mind the overlap but IMO it's undesirable.

NoDisco

« Reply #5 on: 3 May 2021, 07:01 pm »

Which supertwwets did you try? I have townshends with my omegas and they work together in spades!

advanced101

« Reply #6 on: 3 May 2021, 07:28 pm »
Good to see you on here Dave, a good voice of reason.  I like WBF, always entertaining. :popcorn:

I would say that if you are considering supertweeters for your Daedalus, and do not have the new tweeters, upgrade there first.  I feel the new tweeters are more extended, resolving and have a bit more "sparkle".  In a non-offensive way.

cheech

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2021, 11:58 am »
I appreciate those of you that offered comments and your input

cheech

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jun 2021, 12:42 am »
I went ahead and purchased Taket Batpro2 supertweeters to experiment with whether or not there was a benefit using them with my Argos V2s. I've only had them hooked up and playing for about 7 hours, but to my ears in my system and room there seem to be some added body and weight across the frequency range, no brightness or glare, no dulling , maybe a bit more depth. Net net , my initial reaction is that it was a worthwhile investment - roughly $700 including getting a speaker cable

I don't doubt that going for the upgrade to the newer tweeters and mid range is likely more worthwhile,  but given Lou mentioning in a different thread  that he is pretty booked up I went down this path at least for now

advanced101

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jun 2021, 12:46 pm »
Where do you have them placed?
Pics?

cheech

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jun 2021, 05:09 pm »
I haven't updated my system pic yet, but I have them on the front top edge of each cabinet centered directly in alignment with the Argos V2's 2 tweeters

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jun 2021, 10:44 pm »
Good to see you on here Dave, a good voice of reason.  I like WBF, always entertaining. :popcorn:

I would say that if you are considering supertweeters for your Daedalus, and do not have the new tweeters, upgrade there first.  I feel the new tweeters are more extended, resolving and have a bit more "sparkle".  In a non-offensive way.

The new tweeters ARE much more extended, as well as more linear and much lower distortion. Eton hit a home run with their upgrade of what was already a great tweeter. One problem with add on "super tweeters" is that there is no way to just add them and maintain linearity in the system, not to mention any phase anomalies they may introduce.
I apologize for being super busy and not having a large enough staff to handle the work load. I do my best to fit upgrades in the schedule and some are fairly easy so that is not a big issue. 
Cheech, I would suggest giving me a call and we can talk about upgrading your speakers and when that could be done. You can always sell the add-on tweeters you bought once your speakers are brought up to current spec.

As always thank you everyone for your patience and support! :thumb: