Hello, New Kismet Stereo amp owner :)

brad1138

• Don't forget to dance.... Don't forget to smile.
Re: Hello, New Kismet Stereo amp owner :)
« Reply #20 on: 10 Jun 2021, 11:16 pm »
Ok, we’ll if you’re not comfortable trying yourself, I’m sure you could send to Klaus for him to adjust it.

Klaus and I have discussed the bias, and he felt it was in a good place already.

Not that I couldn't do it, but I would only want to if I am certain it is necessary.

GentleBender

« Reply #21 on: 11 Jun 2021, 12:16 am »
How many hours do you have on it? It can take some time to get everything broken in.

brad1138

« Reply #22 on: 11 Jun 2021, 04:59 am »
How many hours do you have on it? It can take some time to get everything broken in.
It only had about 100 when I bought it, but it is well over 1000 now.

It sounds fantastic, it just isn't the rich character the ML had. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong or lacking with it, just different. ML is known to have "tubey" richness. My Moabs and Tekton spks in general are known to do well with tube equipment.

brad1138

« Reply #23 on: 1 Jul 2021, 11:09 pm »
Have you tried adjusting the bias on your Kismet? You can make it a warmer amp that way.

After thinking about it more, and reading the 6 Moon review, I have decided to play a bit with the bias adjustment. But not until I get the Candela and break it in. It is supposed to ship tomorrow  :D :green: :D

Are there instructions anywhere on adjusting it? I am comfortable with a volt meter, and getting in there, but need directions first.

6 Moon review refers to "a bias and a balance precision trim pot" (per side). I don't know if that is 2 separate pots, or 1 pot that controls both things.

GeneS

« Reply #24 on: 2 Jul 2021, 12:36 am »
There was an extensive conversation about this last year, I believe.
I think this is the link:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145802.0

genjamon

« Reply #25 on: 2 Jul 2021, 01:10 am »
It involves alternating back and forth several times for each channel on multiple trim pots. One pot adjusts DC offset, and another adjusts bias. You want DC offset as close to zero as possible. But when you adjust bias, it affects DC offset. So you have to go back and forth until you get the right bias setting and also a minimal DC offset.

brad1138

« Reply #26 on: 2 Jul 2021, 05:22 pm »
There was an extensive conversation about this last year, I believe.
I think this is the link:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145802.0

Thank you

brad1138

« Reply #27 on: 2 Jul 2021, 05:25 pm »
It involves alternating back and forth several times for each channel on multiple trim pots. One pot adjusts DC offset, and another adjusts bias. You want DC offset as close to zero as possible. But when you adjust bias, it affects DC offset. So you have to go back and forth until you get the right bias setting and also a minimal DC offset.

Doesn't sound too hard, reading bias mV is easy enough, although I have no idea (yet) how to read DC offset.

brad1138

« Reply #28 on: 13 Jul 2021, 12:10 am »
OK, Candela in and running, sounding good so far. What type of break in period should I expect?

sumoking

« Reply #29 on: 21 Jul 2021, 06:30 am »
What's your current impressions?
Curious?
Cheers...