Special all-red Cherry USB

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Special all-red Cherry USB
« on: 20 Apr 2020, 08:28 pm »
We have a one-of-a-kind Cherry USB in a red/red case.  Special price.  Email Support@DigitalAmp.com for the price.  Thanks.

Wind Chaser

Re: Special all-red Cherry USB
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2020, 09:38 pm »
What does it do and why do I need it?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2020, 10:45 pm »
What does it do and why do I need it?
It’s a USB to isolated coax SPDIF converter for driving your audio system (DAC) with a PC/Mac.  (:

Details here:
https://www.cherryamp.com/usb-to-spdif-converter

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2020, 12:06 am »
I still spin silver discs and stream. No computer audio for me.  :D

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2020, 05:30 am »
I still spin silver discs and stream. No computer audio for me.  :D
I started on computer audio by stacking my CDs and ripping one every time I passed by my computer.  No, not THAT kind of ripping (:  .... I mean lossless copying into a hard drive. This went on for weeks, but eventually, I had a nice library built up.

These days, I recommend lossless streaming (only Qobuz has true lossless high-res/high-rate) because you can play just about any song you think of in a matter of seconds, with clarity only limited by your hardware.  That’s the beauty of digital audio.  Being able to listen to any song is amazingly liberating. ....and you can do it from the comfort of your listening chair.  It actually changed my life!  It’s that profound, if you love music like I do.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2020, 05:59 am »
I totally agree. And I'm glad my Aries Mini can do it without having to involve a PC or a Mac by feeding the stream right into my DAC DAC. Sometimes it can be very frustrating when things run amok but it as you say, it's well worth it when you can access pretty much anything you can think of without having to leave the comfort of your chair.

Qobuz isn't available here yet. It was supposed to have arrived here in Canada last year but we're still waiting.  I'm not buying anymore CDs though so maybe I should rip most of them to a SSD? How big of a drive do I need to rip 500 CDs?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2020, 06:04 am »
500x650Mb=3.25Tb

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2020, 06:19 am »
I guess that explains why people still buy HDs. :lol:

jseymour

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2020, 12:04 pm »
If you use FLAC the size will be much smaller.  My main music library has 1344 albums, almost all in FLAC.  333 of the albums are hi-res, meaning 24 bit with being 24/96 or 24/192.  All of this along with jpegs for album covers fits in 868G.  Examples of album sizes:  Revolver 16/44 is 208MB, Abbey Road 24/96 is 980MB.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2020, 05:54 am »
I guess that explains why people still buy HDs. :lol:
Most CDs take less than 650MB.  This is through lossless compression (like a ZIP file).  This does NOT affect audio quality.

A few examples (WMA format, 44kHz sampling, 16-bit data, 2-channel)....
  Diana Krall / From This Moment On / 312 MB
  Dire Straits / Brothers in Arms / 258MB
  Neil Diamond / The Jazz Singer / 244MB
  Metallica / Master Of Puppets / 372MB

So, 500 CDs will probably take about 300MB x 500 = 1.5TB

Intel 2TB 660P NVMe M.2 Internal SSD (fast as hell !!), <$220:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1437036-REG/intel_ssdpeknw020t8x1_660p_2tb_ssd_sata.html

To save space, I deleted songs on some albums that I'd never listen to (some one hit wonders "rest of the album", etc.).  That can really make a difference, but takes lots of time.

After subscribing to Qobuz, I have listened to my ripped CD library only a few times (getting close to a year now).