Beware of Counterfeit ZenWave Cables!

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Beware of Counterfeit ZenWave Cables!
« on: 10 Mar 2020, 04:40 pm »
Wow! Well, I've been copied...

These pics were shared from Germany, the cables were purchased from ebay with the seller's address in Germany. The cables look like a poor copy so I'd guess this is a small scale enterprise, probably one guy copying a bunch of different cables and selling them on ebay. I was told the seller has multiple brands of cables for sale, they are probably all fake.

Some easy ways to tell they are fake: The plugs are not the same ones I use, the label isn't signed "Dave" above the ZenWave Audio, the model of the cable isn't on the label, the handwriting is a poor copy, my cables have a layer of pure cotton (or silver shielding material) under the techflex.

If anyone is not certain feel free to check with me, you can send pics to dave at zenwaveaudio.com

Here's some pics of the fake cables:

Plugs are not the same, in some early cables I used gold plated plugs but they were FP-101 or FP-126 Furutech models. I also use Caig progold or Furutech nano-liquid to protect the termination, not the black stuff in the photo:

No model number on the back of the label, no "Dave" signed either:

Writing is a poor copy:

The entire cable looks like a machine made cable with the outer jacket removed near the ends, my cables are handbuild with pure cotton filler so are soft and light compared to a machine made cable and the cable tapers near the ends instead of a sharp reduction in diameter:

pursuitofnow

Re: Beware of Counterfeit ZenWave Cables!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2020, 08:57 pm »
That's really unfortunate. You know you're on to something good when you get copy cats.

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2020, 09:00 pm »
Wow again!  Sorry to see/hear this, Dave.  Definitely not cool.  However the good Samaritan in Germany is to be lauded for coming forth on the counterfeiter.

What is that blob of black stuff that is in the end of the RCA body?  Melted plastic?  That has to be the worst job for soldering I have ever seen.

So if we find an ad for your cables do you want to be notified?  We may not recognize the poor craftsmanship but bad forgeries should be an easy pick.

I agree with pursuitofnow.

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2020, 11:46 pm »
Wow. SUPER lame. :shake: :cuss:

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2020, 11:48 am »
Even though this is more work for you that shouldn't be necessary, you should probably contact eBay with the auction number and try to have some pressure exerted on this seller.

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2020, 08:06 pm »
Thanks for your support and comments! I kinda feel flattered I guess, and I think this is a very small scale operation that will likely be shut down quickly.

The buyer has filed a compliant with ebay to get his money back and with the local law enforcement agency as he was the victim. Both buyer and seller are located in Germany so I don't feel I need to get involved unless ebay or law enforcement requests more information. 

JakeJ, I have no idea what the black stuff is, could be glue or tape? I only use Caig progold or Furutech Nano-Fluid to protect terminations. If anyone has any questions about authenticity feel free to send me pics, but I don't think this is a large scale counterfeit operation like many large brands are plagued with.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2020, 06:03 pm »
The black stuff looks like heatshrink tape to me.  I probably still have some of it laying around.