17x13 Space (Sound Treatment Suggestions)

Lance

17x13 Space (Sound Treatment Suggestions)
« on: 22 Feb 2020, 06:19 pm »
Happy Saturday in Atlanta! Please, see attached a photo of the room that is being upgraded (as it relates to design aesthetics) including going from a rug to a
Wood floor. As before, photography and one painting will be hung on front wall and between the two far windows. Also, another longer couch will be added to the space.
The seating position in the photo will be moved in front of the two far windows...this is the set up from before. Add Blinds, no drapes.

At this point really enjoying low level listening....both a combination to the equipment and the extra reflection in the room in its present (bare) condition.

So, what would be a good start to cut down on excessive reflection for this room...keeping it simple, as I do like hanging my photography. LOL! 

Equipment: DYS (sort of) 2-way speakers (Tuned by Gordon in Atlanta) that can absorb high power all day. Using a 400watt/700peak sub for lower end (below 50).
NAD-2200 AMP (recently mated) to a NAD C-370 as the preamp - amazing imaging! The only front end is a Marantz DV6001. Audi Quest cables. Nothing else for now.

So, about quieting the room? Your suggestions are welcomed! Thanks, everyone!

[/img]

Lance

Re: 17x13 Space (Sound Treatment Suggestions)
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2020, 06:20 pm »

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2020, 06:55 pm »
Priority # 1) Get some heavy sound and light absorbing drapes for the windows (floor to ceiling) which will help balance the open left side a bit.

Priority #2) Get a rather thick rug to place in front of the listening chair

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2020, 07:16 pm »
the seating / listening position will now be between the two windows ? so the gear / speakers will be where ?

toocool4

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2020, 07:17 pm »
Like John Casler said, Thick Rug on the floor.

Have you considered moving things round i.e. your back to the windows and the speakers in free space, this would give you an amazing deep sound stage. If that option is not good for you, try the other way speakers at the window end but place the speakers way into the room? Worth experimenting.

Lance

« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2020, 07:51 pm »
Hey, guys...the sitting position will remain as you see it. I mean, the chair you see now moves to the far windows and another longer, 6' couch takes its place.
So, I will have a couch and two windows and opposite end...the open threshold to the kitchen.

I like the drape idea....but does this idea still 'hold' knowing the couch will be there?  The Rug idea...perfect. I will begin shopping for one - and to match the drapes,
unless someone has another suggestion.

I will refrain from moving the speakers as I am really enjoying the "stage"...but, you know, i may experiment...nothing is set in concrete.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2020, 08:00 pm »
Agree on the rug - the bigger and thicker, the better.  Same with the drapes - the more of that wall you can cover with heavy drapes, the better.

The wall behind the speakers I'd use a combo of absorption and diffusion like these:

toocool4

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2020, 08:36 pm »
I will refrain from moving the speakers as I am really enjoying the "stage"...but, you know, i may experiment...nothing is set in concrete.

You have not heard soundstage till you put your speakers in free space and truly watch them disappear.
If your cables are long enough, just give it a quick try i guarantee you will want to keep them there.

My Speakers sits over 6 feet into the room, if i had more space i would move them even further into the room.

Lance

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2020, 03:22 pm »
True...a lot of people are not aware moving the speakers away from the back wall opens up both the 'stage' and overall 3-D or depth.

As you see in the photo, I have speakers moved out about 3' from wall - a normal recommended distance - but for this room and the fact
I will likely not change the sitting position, this is it. In my other listening room i have large traditional boxed speakers mounted on poles,
also moved out into the room, about  4' from back wall - with Rogue and currently NAD gear, enjoy OK width and good depth.
I feel the room needs a heavy amount of reflection control, but we will address this barely 15x15 square space at a later date.  :) 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2020, 03:25 pm »
Welcome!

Suggest looking at GIK products.  I own ten of their 244 absorption panels.  Note that most "acoustic" panels aren't worth bringing home.  GIK offers custom printing so your artwork can be transferred. 

Lance

« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2020, 04:13 pm »
Thank you, JLM, I will look into this shortly.  :)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2020, 04:22 pm »
Thank you, JLM, I will look into this shortly.  :)

The panels in the pic I posted above are GIK.  Agree with JLM they are among the best out there and are good people to work with.

toocool4

« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2020, 05:30 pm »
I too use a combination of GIK / DIY treatments. On the front and rear walls i have used GIK diffusers / absorbers. Side walls and ceiling i have gone for DIY absorbers. The absorber in middle front wall, i sent in an image i took for the artwork.