DC coupled preamps

AvsFan

Re: DC coupled preamps
« Reply #20 on: 6 Mar 2020, 05:48 am »
We have the hardware for it (IR receiver, FPGA block decode), but based on the cost of a custom remote, we’re discussing options, including a less expensive version without the remote.  So many of our customers use a streamer or PC to drive their audio system now, so they are covered as far as a remote volume control (phone/tablet/computer SW/app).  We also considered using a simple generic remote, but there’s the issue of accidentally controlling something else in the room.  A learning remote is also being discussed, so you can use a universal type or something you already own.  The original reason for the HSV DAC was to support transports, some portables, and disc players whose SPDIF outputs are always full scale.  The iPhone, for example, locks out the volume control when you play through its USB port directly.

I use a Node 2i these days.  That allows source switching, volume control, search and track select, playlist organization, album art display, etc.... from my phone, an old tablet, one of several PCs, or even one of my kids’ phones.  I pretty much don’t touch the system except to dust.  The amps (Cherry MEGA MK2 MONOs) sleep when the music’s off.   Everything except the turntable is controlled from remote, over WiFi.  The Node connects to the internet on its own. No need for SW running on a local computer.  It streams, does Bluetooth (yeah, I know), has an external digital or analog input, and plays from a NAS if desired.  The only thing it’s missing is solidarity of multi-sourced tracks.  That would be extra great if the purchase of offline music was integrated.  Add in Qobuz, and WOW!  Opens up a whole new world.  Please pardon any typos. It’s the end of a very long day.

Yeah, you've talked about the Node 2i before and it has got real good reviews. Does it have a subwoofer output? And it seems like the Node 2i and my streamer, the Yamaha WXC-50 are very similar. I really question if I even need a pre-amp. My Yamaha is the Pre-amp. It does it all. And it's great being able to, like you said, run everything off your iphone. It's hardwired via ethernet, I get all the settings right on my phone and can control things on the fly with it. Music, volume, subwoofer volume and so on. There are a lot of convenient features with this Yamaha. But because of so many things being put into this one box. Makes me question q&c. There has to be some compromises somewhere for offering so much for not a lot of money. 

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #21 on: 6 Mar 2020, 07:43 am »
For those of us that are not EE's, what is DC  coupling, and how is it good/bad?
This may be a bit technical, but explains the “why” (more than the “what”):
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=167261.0

Maybe I can elaborate more here.

uncola

« Reply #22 on: 6 Mar 2020, 10:46 am »
Remote control +1.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #23 on: 23 Mar 2020, 09:14 pm »

morganc

« Reply #24 on: 13 Apr 2020, 05:37 am »
Just use a generic or apple remote like other manufacturers.  Don't let perfection get in the way of good. 

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #25 on: 15 Apr 2020, 02:26 am »
Just use a generic or apple remote like other manufacturers.  Don't let perfection get in the way of good.
I agree.  Thanks.

NICKTENN

« Reply #26 on: 6 Aug 2020, 03:02 pm »
What’s the latest on the Cherry Amps Pre-amplifier?

AvsFan

« Reply #27 on: 6 Aug 2020, 04:00 pm »

I too am excited and anxious about that one!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #28 on: 6 Aug 2020, 05:52 pm »
Planning a Kickstarter very soon and details will be revealed then!

NICKTENN

« Reply #29 on: 15 Sep 2020, 12:02 am »
Planning a Kickstarter very soon and details will be revealed then!

Any updates on when the kickstarter for the preamp will begin? Or did the DAC DAC 3 take it’s place? I’m looking for a solution that has a DAC and analog inputs (to support home theater).

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #30 on: 15 Sep 2020, 02:53 am »
Any updates on when the kickstarter for the preamp will begin? Or did the DAC DAC 3 take it’s place? I’m looking for a solution that has a DAC and analog inputs (to support home theater).
The Kickstarter for DAC DAC 3 is running and ends soon:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalampco/cherry-dac-dac-3

Newsletter subscribers were given a link to the project in the last newsletter.  Here’s a link to subscribe:
bit.ly/1G8bsxZ

NICKTENN

« Reply #31 on: 15 Sep 2020, 02:45 pm »
The Kickstarter for DAC DAC 3 is running and ends soon:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalampco/cherry-dac-dac-3

Newsletter subscribers were given a link to the project in the last newsletter.  Here’s a link to subscribe:
bit.ly/1G8bsxZ

But there are no analog inputs on the DAC DAC 3 correct? That’s what I need, and thought the preamp would supply them based on this quote:
“We've made some radical changes to the design and plan to announce the new product at AXPONA in April.  It will have multiple inputs (digital and analog) and dual outputs.”

Is this product still in development?

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #32 on: 15 Jan 2021, 09:24 pm »
But there are no analog inputs on the DAC DAC 3 correct? That’s what I need, and thought the preamp would supply them based on this quote:
“We've made some radical changes to the design and plan to announce the new product at AXPONA in April.  It will have multiple inputs (digital and analog) and dual outputs.”

Is this product still in development?
Correct, and development was delayed a bit. We’re planning on introducing our digital preamp this year. It will have multiple inputs, including an analog input.  We’re getting close on the Cherry DAC3....

DEP14

« Reply #33 on: 15 Jan 2021, 11:47 pm »
The RME ADI-2 DAC and Pro versions DAC's are direct coupled, and have remote volume.  Additionally the Pro FS has a analog input that can be used.

So, while not a pre-amp... it can be used as one and is DC.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #34 on: 16 Jan 2021, 04:26 pm »
The RME ADI-2 DAC and Pro versions DAC's are direct coupled, and have remote volume.  Additionally the Pro FS has a analog input that can be used.

So, while not a pre-amp... it can be used as one and is DC.
I looked into this device and SNR is lower than the DAC DAC 1 HS.  There were also complaints on amazon about the complexity in using this product to do even the simplest things.  This is the opposite of the Cherry philosophy that simplicity leads to a happier experience as well as better performance.

A side note: as a previous amazon seller, I can say it’s a nightmare for manufacturers.  I feel bad for any company that “pays their ransom”, which has the tendency to either kill profits or jack up prices.

DEP14

« Reply #35 on: 20 Jan 2021, 04:39 pm »
Tommy, my apologies.  With the RME, I was just responding to the original thread regarding DC coupled pre-amps.  Certainly wasn't suggesting buying it over a cherry piece.  It just happens to have those extra analog in's so it could be used as a basic pre-amp.

Would LOVE to see a cherry dac with say one set of extra ins... and a volume control!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
« Reply #36 on: 20 Jan 2021, 07:37 pm »
Tommy, my apologies.  With the RME, I was just responding to the original thread regarding DC coupled pre-amps.  Certainly wasn't suggesting buying it over a cherry piece.  It just happens to have those extra analog in's so it could be used as a basic pre-amp.

Would LOVE to see a cherry dac with say one set of extra ins... and a volume control!
No worries.  We have two products under development currently: Cherry DAC DAC 3 and Cherry DPA (digital preamp)....  We’ll be posting updates here on Audio Circle.