Comparing Cherry Amps to ncore

OzarkTom

Re: Comparing Cherry Amps to ncore
« Reply #80 on: 4 Jul 2012, 09:53 pm »
I don't listen to measurements, so while they should be relatively good, I still make a purchasing decision based on how a product sounds, preferably in my system...

+1

Measurements don't mean a hill-of-a-bean if it sounds lousy.

cab

« Reply #81 on: 4 Jul 2012, 10:59 pm »
And if it measures as well as the ncore I doubt it will sound lousy....

OzarkTom

« Reply #82 on: 4 Jul 2012, 11:22 pm »

So what measurements do I look at to see how it images, musicality, transparency, quickness?

OzarkTom

« Reply #83 on: 5 Jul 2012, 12:12 am »

And if every amp made measures .000000000000000001% distortion, are you saying they will all sound the same? :scratch:

cab

« Reply #84 on: 5 Jul 2012, 12:23 am »
Define your subjective parameters, i.e., musical, quick, etc., in an objective context of an audio signal and I will oblige....

cab

« Reply #85 on: 5 Jul 2012, 12:25 am »

No, I am saying that if an amp measures as well as the ncore it is likely to not sound "lousy".

OzarkTom

« Reply #86 on: 5 Jul 2012, 12:30 am »
Define your subjective parameters, i.e., musical, quick, etc., in an objective context of an audio signal and I will oblige....

I just want to know what measurement I should look at to let me know what the amp is capable of in these sonic parameters. You are so keen on measurements. So do you know?

cab

« Reply #87 on: 5 Jul 2012, 12:32 am »
How can I possibly tell you if you can't define these subjective parameters in an objective way?

OzarkTom

« Reply #88 on: 5 Jul 2012, 12:44 am »
Forget it, no one knows what measurement to look at to tell these sonic parameters. You have to listen to it in your system.

cab

« Reply #89 on: 5 Jul 2012, 01:01 am »
Exactly, you can't judge subjective parameters that have an exact meaning known only to you with objective measurements. What does "musicality" or "quickness" mean? Can you define them precisely? I don't think so....Not everyone will like an amp as neutral as the ncore....that doesn't mean the amp is lousy, it just means some people prefer a colored presentation. An amp that measures as good as the ncore will probably sound similar to the ncore- that is, it won't have much of a sound at all. Such an amp can hardly be said to sound "lousy".....

Try reading some of Bruno Putzkey's comments on the relevance of measurements. Here is a start:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/hardware/bruno-putzeys-the-sound-of-music-extended-play

OzarkTom

« Reply #90 on: 5 Jul 2012, 01:31 am »
Exactly, you can't judge subjective parameters that have an exact meaning known only to you with objective measurements. What does "musicality" or "quickness" mean? Can you define them precisely? I don't think so....Not everyone will like an amp as neutral as the ncore....that doesn't mean the amp is lousy, it just means some people prefer a colored presentation. An amp that measures as good as the ncore will probably sound similar to the ncore- that is, it won't have much of a sound at all. Such an amp can hardly be said to sound "lousy".....

Try reading some of Bruno Putzkey's comments on the relevance of measurements. Here is a start:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/hardware/bruno-putzeys-the-sound-of-music-extended-play

Sorry, I don't listen to colored amps. :D

cab

« Reply #91 on: 5 Jul 2012, 01:35 am »
Sometimes the lawnmower is hard to start.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #92 on: 24 Jul 2012, 10:13 pm »
I'd like to hear the Hypex amps.  Then I can comment on how they sound to me.  Then I can compare them to my Cherry and the rest of the gear in my system.   I have found many amps lacking the smooth interpretation i like in the high frequency range. 

The article was interesting reading.  As an engineer he should be proud of his feat acheiving an extremely low distortion level.  I bought an integrated amp many years ago that had 100 times less distortion than any others at the time.  It did not make it the best sounding amp on the market.  Acording to Brunos logic that should have been the case.  It did show an improvement over other products in the same price point.  It was a good value product.  Certainly not the best.   I purchased from Digital Amp Company because it was that type of product that also had system synergy with the rest of my gear.   

When all the hype has slowed with Hypex I'm sure I can get a listen.

ua100k

• Industry Participant
    • Merrill Audio
« Reply #93 on: 14 Sep 2012, 02:58 am »
I'd like to hear the Hypex amps.  Then I can comment on how they sound to me.  Then I can compare them to my Cherry and the rest of the gear in my system.   I have found many amps lacking the smooth interpretation i like in the high frequency range. 

The article was interesting reading.  As an engineer he should be proud of his feat acheiving an extremely low distortion level.  I bought an integrated amp many years ago that had 100 times less distortion than any others at the time.  It did not make it the best sounding amp on the market.  Acording to Brunos logic that should have been the case.  It did show an improvement over other products in the same price point.  It was a good value product.  Certainly not the best.   I purchased from Digital Amp Company because it was that type of product that also had system synergy with the rest of my gear.   

When all the hype has slowed with Hypex I'm sure I can get a listen.

Where are you located. I have a pair of prototype Merrill Audio VERITAS Hypex Ncore NC1200 (yes, I had to say the whole thing) Mono Blocks.
It will be fun to have a shootout.

jackman

« Reply #94 on: 14 Sep 2012, 03:23 am »
Where are you located. I have a pair of prototype Merrill Audio VERITAS Hypex Ncore NC1200 (yes, I had to say the whole thing) Mono Blocks.

How about identifying yourself as a distributor or manufacturer when you post in another guy's circle? 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #95 on: 14 Sep 2012, 03:26 am »

According to Cheeseboy's profile, he's from Somoma, Ca., a bit of a stretch from Jersey.  :green:

ua100k

• Industry Participant
    • Merrill Audio
« Reply #96 on: 14 Sep 2012, 11:04 am »
How about identifying yourself as a distributor or manufacturer when you post in another guy's circle?

Sorry. Merrill Audio from NJ. Tommy knows me and has been at my place.
My profile has been submitted already for change since I changed my role as well. This is waiting for administrator to change the profile. 

I did include the change on my profile so you should be able to see the reference to the company at least till the administrator changes it to Industry something.

ua100k

• Industry Participant
    • Merrill Audio
« Reply #97 on: 14 Sep 2012, 11:07 am »
Haven't had a chance to read through this entire thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=105310.msg1095143;topicseen#new

I requested that anyone who has had the chance to A/B compare with Cherry Amps post about it, but nothing yet....

Seems we may have opened the door to tweaking Class-D for sound as opposed to bench measurements.

I'm excited to have a listen and compare not only to Cherry Amp technology but also to our NEW technology (will be released soon).  Just glad that Class-D is continuing to gain momentum as a superior type of power delivery.

Please let us know if you've had the chance to hear ncore amps and what you think its strengths are.  As we get ready to introduce our new class of amplifiers, we would like to know if the areas we have tweaked for are in common.

Thanks, and looking forward to your responses....

-Tommy O

Tommy, maybe we can do a shootout at your place?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #98 on: 15 Sep 2012, 06:06 am »

didn't you see under his moniker that he states he's an industry participant, as well as having a link to his merrill audio website?

doug s.

ua100k

• Industry Participant
    • Merrill Audio
« Reply #99 on: 15 Sep 2012, 10:05 am »
didn't you see under his moniker that he states he's an industry participant, as well as having a link to his merrill audio website?

doug s.

In fairness, that was just done either late yesterday or today. Prior to that it was in a pending state of approval on my side and showing Jr. on the public side.  Glad it is all showing up now.