power line treatment survey

vinyl_lady

Re: power line treatment survey
« Reply #40 on: 14 Nov 2011, 11:52 pm »
Dont want to start any arguments here but I am still a non-believer.

I have tried some 'stuff' ....different mega buck speaker wires, silver litz interconnects etc...some differnent power cords and some filtering....nothing to really make me say "WOW" gotta have this....it makes such a big difference."

I would buy into this stuff in an instant if I could actually, objectively hear the real improvement in real world tangible ways....

When I hear things like "it makes hearing the background details 'easier' to hear or things sound so clear or less conjested...well??? Whats a person to think?

I have an electrical engineering background and I like real data not emotion.
But yes I do get emotional when listening to well recorded and mastered music!!

There are so many other things to me make more of a real world difference and impact on sound quality than power line treatments.....

Maybe someday I will be close to some of you guys to actually hear what your really experiencing....

All the best
Alex
 :D

Alex,

Order a UberBUSS from Dave at PI Audio on a 100% money back guarantee and insert it into your system. Listen for a while and then take it out and listen again. If you are not convinced, send it back. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I know at least ten AC members who have taken the challenge and not one has sent the UberBUSS back. Many of those were initially non-believers. It really works to dramatically reduce the noise entering your system from the power line and you can hear the difference. In my system the difference was not subtle. More clarity and detail. Only one person has ever returned the Uber. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=86270.0

Give it a try.

Laura

vhiner

« Reply #41 on: 15 Nov 2011, 12:14 am »
Dont want to start any arguments here but I am still a non-believer.

I have tried some 'stuff' ....different mega buck speaker wires, silver litz interconnects etc...some differnent power cords and some filtering....nothing to really make me say "WOW" gotta have this....it makes such a big difference."

I would buy into this stuff in an instant if I could actually, objectively hear the real improvement in real world tangible ways....

When I hear things like "it makes hearing the background details 'easier' to hear or things sound so clear or less conjested...well??? Whats a person to think?

I have an electrical engineering background and I like real data not emotion.
But yes I do get emotional when listening to well recorded and mastered music!!

There are so many other things to me make more of a real world difference and impact on sound quality than power line treatments.....

Maybe someday I will be close to some of you guys to actually hear what your really experiencing....

All the best
Alex

I appreciate your post I hope everyone will simply respect your experience. We hear what we hear. I hear power conditioners and wires and consider them to be major components in my system. You don't. No big deal. What we have in common is the joy of listening to great music. That's all that matters!  :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #42 on: 15 Nov 2011, 05:42 pm »
Hi Laura...thanks for that recommendation!!

Now I have something to think about!!

Alex

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #43 on: 15 Nov 2011, 05:52 pm »
I have a Furman REF20i (for the amp, and all video stuff)
a PS Audio Premier Power set to the Multiwave ouput (for tubed stuff, and preamp) and a PS Audio P600 set to 90hz output (for the digital)
Living in a rental unit, i cannot change the electrical wiring. However i do have a set of four pairs of 12 gauge teflon Mil spec wires from a singleton 20 amp outlet to my stuff.
I started with just a few ferrite claps on A/C cords. Then bought a Adcom 315. Then a Monster 5000. Then the 7000SS. and on from there. The Furman REF20i  was purchased used, and the latest is a used PS Audio P600.
I wanted to try the P600 for the voltage frequency variations. Also the P600 is supposed to have a more 'warm' effect on the electronics with certain multiwave forms.
I am a conditioner nut.
I have several cryoed outlets, and the rest are Pass & Seymour.
I just purchased 20 Pass & Seymour 8200 with the original brass back strap and no plating on innards.. cheap, considering..(wish I could get them cryoed locally...)
Latest tweak to power is a few 'pigtails' off the A/C ends.

I also own the Furman REF20i and think it is great unit.   :thumb:

For my setup, everything (amps, speakers, preamp, digital front end) is plugged into a FurmanSound IT-REFERENCE 20i conditioner, which is plugged into a Pi Audio UberBuss, which is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp line.

George

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #44 on: 15 Nov 2011, 06:01 pm »
  Using a dedicated circuit to feed an Uberbuss. All Triode Wire Lab PC's. Alan Maher CBF's at panel [2, wire bundle]  one at junction box before panel and one inside outlet box feeding the Uber.
  A disclaimer . We are dealers of the Uberbuss and TWL PC's.  Have been hearing some good feedback of using a BPT with the Uber . Have no hands on experience with it so no comment. 

charles
SMA

audiobat

« Reply #45 on: 29 Nov 2011, 11:03 pm »
Anyone tried the Isoclean Zero Ohm power panel?
Nice looking so must have a positive effect?

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #46 on: 30 Nov 2011, 04:09 am »
Audio all running off Bryston BIT 20 isolatio transformer ( same as Torus ). Video / PS3 etc all running off Tice Solo conditioner.

D.D.

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 17 May 2012, 10:38 pm »
A few years ago I ran three 20-Amp dedicated lines, one on one leg and 2 on the other, to my musicroom.  Each line feeds 3 duplex outlets (DOs) spread across the front wall, so the 3 lines feed a total of 9 DOs in 3 locations.  Also improved the house's electrical earthing by adding two groundstakes at the breakerbox and anchoring those to the existing earth buss.  Used hospital-grade cryo'd outlets with the original dedicated lines; don't recall what brand.  For no particular reason, a couple years ago I moved the one line's circuitbreaker to the same leg as the other 2.  Stuck 5 PS Audio Noise Harvesters in various empty outlets.  Don't know that any of that improved the sound, but I definitely have fewer ground-loop problems than before. 

Bought a PS Audio Quintessence a few years ago and used it to feed all the frontend equipment.  The frontend feeds the poweramps thru long ICs, so one powerconditioner won't feed all my equipment. 

This year have bought an Audience aR12...

...to replace the Quintessence, have improved outlets and caps in it and the PC feeding it with higher-quality stuff.  Also added my Epson LCD-type projector to that p-con via a long DIY aftermarket powercord with 2 ferrites added to the PC.  (With 12 outlets, it has plenty of individually filtered and isolated outlets to feed various pieces.)  With the AR12, the sound has improved slightly, with a larger soundstage, slightly more detail (from lower noise?) and smoother high frequencies.

Am now feeding my main monoamps with an Audience aR2p-TO...
http://10audio.com/audience_ar2p-to.htm

Using that has also increased subtly the size of the soundstage and reduced edginess.  Have added Tripp-Lite 500-Watt isolation-transformer-based p-cons to feed the Vandersteen 5A woofer amps and center- and surround-channel amps.  To these very inexpensively built p-cons I added better DOs, noise-filter caps, and powercords.  Bought a Tripp-Lite SpikeCube to feed the subwoofer amp.  The frontend is fed by one circuit, the main and SW poweramps by the 2nd line, and all other amps from the 3rd.

My system has never sounded better, so I suppose all this attention paid to and money spent on improving the quality of my AC power has paid off.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2015, 10:14 pm by jeffreybehr »

jeffreybehr

• Facilitator
« Reply #48 on: 18 May 2012, 09:18 pm »
Forgot to mention that I've replaced powercords for all significant equipment to Neotec-UPOCC-copper, 11- or 13g., cable and Furutech ends...and the IEC inlets to Furutech rhodium-plated pieces, some with solder connections and the later stuff with compression-screw connections.

WOW this stuff gets expensive in a hurry.

Ern Dog

« Reply #49 on: 19 May 2012, 12:01 am »
I'm using a Porter Port receptacle and a Running Springs Haley power conditioner.  I'd like to have a dedicated line but I don't own my home- I'm a renter, so this isn't feasible.  I was very impressed with how much the $30 Porter Port improved the sound of my rig.... wider and deeper soundstage, more authority and weight.  The Haley added another big improvement and all my components are plugged into it.  I'm using a PS Audio Plus power cord from the outlet to the Haley.  I'd like to upgrade that to a Shunyata Black Mamba CX/HC very soon.  I recently upgraded all my component power cords to using Audience Powerchords.  Those made very noticeable improvement on everything.

I had a PS Audio Quintet before using the Haley and always had mixed feelings about the Quintet.  There were times that I felt that it degraded the sound from my system, other times I felt it didn't help or hurt, and other times I felt it improved it.  So, I don't know.  With the Haley, there was never a doubt because the improvement was so obvious and immediate.

There are so many satisfied people using the Uberbuss on this forum, so in the future, I think it would be interesting to try it out and see how it compares to the Haley.

As a point of reference, my source is a Modwright tube Oppo 83, Placette Active preamp, Pass Labs XA30.5, Tyler Acoustics Linbrook system and JL Audio Fathom 10" sub.

Freo-1

« Reply #50 on: 19 May 2012, 12:10 am »
This was discussed in other threads.  In my audio system, I use a line conditioner for the the preamp and input sources, but the power amp is plugged directly into the wall.  My experience is that the power conditioner does not help the power amp, and in fact can reduce it’s performance.

This is from the owner’s manual of the XA 30.5:
“All the usual performance metrics - power, distortion, noise, input impedance, damping factor and bandwidth have all been improved in this latest generation. The power supplies are larger, with fast rectifiers gating to larger capacitor banks. The increases in AC line noise worldwide have been addressed with heavier EMI filtering and dramatically quieter power transformers. In addition, through improved biasing regulation, the circuits give much more consistent performance under varying AC line voltages and over a variety of ambient temperatures. “

gooberdude

« Reply #51 on: 19 May 2012, 02:21 am »
The power line conditioning system in my home continues to evolve, but i'm thrilled with the current level of performance the effort brings about. 

I've placed 10 alan maher Infinity crystal boxes inside the main breaker panel, doubled up on 5 main legs.  Throughout my loft I have (3) Reference II wall wart parallel line filters from Alan Maher, and a Reference III plugged into the circuit in my living room.   With this system I cannot get any noise to be audible with an Audioprism NoiseSniffer, even at the highest sensitivity, on any outlet or circuit in my place.  A feat I could never achieve when I had (8) Audioprism wall wart filters installed.

Currently all my gear is plugged into a battery back-up psu previously used to power my office servers in the event the electricity went off.  The Opti-UPS 1500C-RM is plugged into a Felix conditioner that Big Red Machine built (maestro outlet).  All the outlets on the audio circuit are Oyaide, a few are the R1 with the WPC carbon fiber and aluminum frames.  Opti claims a perfect sine wave output when the UPS is plugged into the wall, operating in AC mode. A dubious claim no doubt, but the SQ improvement isn't subtle when compared to plugging directly into the wall.   

the Opti-UPS is the most recent addition, and a real shocker.  I have every component plugged in except the AQVOX 5V psu for usb connections.  For some reason plugging it into the Opti made the speakers hum.  Plugging the AQVOX into the spare Felix outlet solved that problem.   Running all my gear on straight batteries is no improvement, so I leave the UPS always plugged in.

Just my 2 cents, but I feel that treating the power line is as important as treating a room with acoustic products.  Before trying the UPS, all my analog gear was plugged directly into the wall and digital gear into the Felix.

matt

swelfelo

« Reply #52 on: 31 Jul 2012, 11:38 am »
Hello,

I have a dedicated 20 amp line which runs to a PS Audio outlet. This in turn feeds a Power Wedge II for all of my components except the amps which are connected directly to the PS Audio outlet. I use Larry Smith, Synergistic Research Master Couplers and Shunyata Mamba CX HC power cables.

I plan to add a second dedicated line and will continue to add more Mambas.

Regards,

Swelfelo

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #53 on: 23 Aug 2012, 07:31 am »
First at the breaker panel an Eaton whole home surge protector, bought from home depot.  Saw other more expensive ones out there, but this one seemed to do the job.  Think every home should have one of these as a first line of defense.

Supco surge protector for the AC condensor as well in the hope that when it cycles on / off it won't spike my ac to the rest of the house. 

Home Theater Basement:

Dedicated 20AMP romex 10/3 AWG
(2) Shunyata outlets
Furman 15 DM power conditioner. Everything goes into this except power amps, which are plugged directly to outlet.
All important components get Wireworld Aurora 5 power cables.

Living Room 2 Channel Audio Room:
Oyaide R1 power outlet
Wireworld Matrix power outlet strip
All important components including power outlet strip get Wireworld Aurora 5 power cables

Need to put a dedicated line to the living room system.  House has 70+ year old power cabling (at least it's somewhat thick).  I'm experimenting w/ an old Rotel power conditioner for the source components.

Would appreciate more explanation of what folks mean by "isolation transformers" and how to get / implement. 

Also if anyone would care to comment if Shunyata & Oyaide outlets are so important, or if in the future I can "get away" with using, for example, a regular hospital grade hubbell.  That would save me $35 - $70 right there.

AllynW

« Reply #54 on: 8 Dec 2012, 10:48 pm »
My home was built in 1997 and all the standard outlets are 20 amp. I use a single 20AMP dedicated circuit to power my amps.  My front end components are powered from PS Audio Power Premier which is connected to 20 amp standard household outlet. 

I installed the dedicated outlet because the Krell amp I had at the time caused a lamp to dim for a second when switched on. The Krell manual recommended 20AMP dedicated circuit. I've never noticed a difference in the music playback.  The PS Audio PPP is another story.  There was a marked improvement in my digital playback components after I started using it.

roscoeiii

« Reply #55 on: 8 Dec 2012, 11:13 pm »
I recently got an Equitech 2Q to use, and will be comparing it to my Running Springs Haley when I have the chance. Likely not for a week or so though....

Wasatch

« Reply #56 on: 8 Dec 2012, 11:26 pm »
I recently got an Equitech 2Q to use, and will be comparing it to my Running Springs Haley when I have the chance. Likely not for a week or so though....

Curious to hear what you think. I have an Elgar and was thinking about getting the Haley.

roscoeiii

« Reply #57 on: 8 Dec 2012, 11:50 pm »
Will do.

RPM123

« Reply #58 on: 9 Dec 2012, 01:04 am »
I have two 20 amp dedicated lines. The stereo line has an Uberbuss with a Triode Wire Labs cord (simply great!) and an Alan Maher device. The (plasma) TV line has an RSA Haley with Mongoose cord and an Alan Maher wall wart. I am happy with the way things sound and look, however, I wouldn't mind trying a different power cord on the Haley or perhaps another Buss in place of it. I replaced a RSA Dimitri with an Uberbuss and haven't looked back.

Glenn

JerryLove

« Reply #59 on: 9 Dec 2012, 03:47 pm »
I installed the dedicated outlet because the Krell amp I had at the time caused a lamp to dim for a second when switched on.
And did the dimming stop?