Big Difference between running Dual Subs and Stereo Subs for Music?

biz97

I'm changing over to a setup that has bass management as well as pre-outs and main ins.  Assuming I can get a good blend using the built in bass management and run the same signal to both subs, is there is major advantage to going over to the pre-outs and main-ins  and running one sub per channel?  I'm running dual Force XLs.  Thanks!

flintstone

I've found, that it all depends,

If your using your subs for only the bottom octave (or so)...20hz-40hz, then mono, or stereo subs has little, to no effect on sound.

If you are crossing over at higher freq's than these...stereo bass gets the nod over mono bass (at least to my ear).

One other thing. Using the preamp outs, and depending on "your" system,  may offer  more flexibility of choice...ie, outboard crossovers, filter types, crossover points, bass EQ, ect...ect.

In a perfect world, none of this would matter, all subs, in all rooms would blend perfectly.

Dave

Mike Dzurko

Dave made good points.  It really does depend on the crossover frequency, room, placement. To generalize, I'd generally recommend stereo subs for musical applications, particularly if the crossover point is 60-80 or higher.  For HT, mono subs close together are often chosen for maximum clean output.