Sapphire XL and tube amps

Beav

Sapphire XL and tube amps
« on: 18 Jan 2007, 03:38 pm »
Mike,

Thanks again for getting my speaker fixed.   I am finding the sound to be as stirring musically as it was in my tube amp based system (60wpc).  These days I'm running them from my Pioneer Elite Receiver in bypass mode.   Came across an interesting tube Integrated amp 300B Integrated   and am wondering if a 30wpc amp would drive them effectively?

TONEPUB

Re: Sapphire XL and tube amps
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2007, 04:00 pm »
Hi there:

As a very happy owner of Sapphire XL's, and someone who has reviewed them with a lot of different amplifiers, I can definitely say that thanks to the very tube freindly crossover in these speakers, they will live happily ever after with a 30-40 watt tube amplifier.

However, this looks like a somewhat odd creation that someone built themselves, so beware.  I'ts like a hot rod that had a whole bunch of modifications done to:  If this ever breaks, you could have a heck of a time getting it fixed!  And there is no resale value on u-build em gear, so keep that in mind as well.

If you want to go the tube route with these speakers, consider one of the Prima Luna power amps, like the Prologue 5, which is about 1400.  This will be money well spent on a NEW amplifier with a warranty, that so far has had no field failures  in two years.

If this is a bit out of budget, consider an VT 60 from ARC, you can pick one of these up for about 900 on the used market, or perhaps an MV 50 or MV 52 from Conrad Johnson.  Here you are looking at spending 5-700.  Though used, both of these are from reputable companies that you can still get service and support.

When I first met Mike, the XL's were playing through a Prima Luna amp and they sounded great.

But I can tell you that these are good enough speakers, that should you decide to upgrade your
system a few levels in the years to come, the XL's have enough resolution that the speakers
will probably be the last thing you need to upgrade!

Good luck...

Beav

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2007, 03:31 pm »
this looks like a somewhat odd creation that someone built themselves

Yup, whoever heard of 300Bs driving 845s.  Best of both world sounds perhaps, but It would need a nice warranty before I'd fork over that early adopter price tag of theirs. 

TONEPUB

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2007, 04:04 pm »
Actually, I have seen that done on occassion, it's just a very expensive
way to implement the 845 tube!!

ScottyWatty

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jan 2007, 07:38 am »
Beav:
I am driving my new XL's with a Prima Luna 2 40w tube integrated amp and am extremely elated with the quality of sound and musicality. 
I highly recommend this combination with DH Labs BL-1 Series II interconnects and T-14 speaker cable.
I will be providing a more detailed review after a while.