odyssey extremes with Rev4 TVC, and Promitheus NOS DAC

jmck407

Hello,

I have a Rev4 TVC, and a promitheus NOS DAC, fed by the digital coax out of a SqBx3, and might be looking to purchase different SS monoblock amps...looking at a pr of odyssey mono extremes.  I would like to know if they are a good match for the promitheus passive.  I currently have a pr. of monarchy SM-70 pros, and like the the sound of them matched with the promitheus gear, but am curious how  a quality higher power SS amp will differ.  I have a group of crown XLS-402's  for home theater duty, and used them with the promitheus pre/DAC and it sounded fine, but combination of monarchy and promitheus, definitely is better.  Funny thing is, even though the crowns are fairly rated at 260 w/ch into 8ohm, the 80w/channel monarchy's hold up at just about the same levels as the crowns.  Figure it has something to do with the amp sensitivity level or gains, but to be honest am confused as to which spec is better suited to determine the best match with the pre (if they differ at all).  Would appreciate comment on this amp, and also generally what specs should I be looking at when trying to find a good match for the promitheus TVC.  I can't seem to find gain or sensitivity specs on the odyssey site, but did see this post on the odyssey circle on the extreme's gain:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=3275.msg27024#msg27024

According to the above link the max power of the extremes would be at an input voltage of 1.44v, and from the TVC FAQ, I see that they will drop the input voltage to the TVC at a varied rate depending on the transformer step, e.g 90% voltage drop at 10% of total volume, 50% voltage drop at 50% total volume, etc.... does this mean that  the 2.1v rms output of the SB3 would need about 70% of the TVC's total volume to get the 1.44v needed for full power on the odyssey amps. 

Thanks,
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2008, 09:49 am by jmck407 »

pbrstreetgang

Re: odyssey extremes with Rev4 TVC, and Promitheus NOS DAC
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2008, 10:04 am »
What is the output voltage and resistance of your dac. Thats what its going to be connected to right? Also is that right the Odyssey has a 18Kohm input ?

Christof

« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2008, 02:46 pm »
F-100 (Derrick) uses Odyssey Extreme Mono's with his TVC...maybe he will jump in with his opinion.

I am playing around with a couple TVC's in my shop using both Odyssey Dual Mono amp and Symphonic Line RG4 amp.  I have good results, I am hesitant to give a review yet but so far I am just as happy with Promitheus as I am with my Odyssey Candela.  There seems to be good impedance matching between the two.  The missing link here is that neither Derrick nor I are using a Promitheus DAC (yet :wink:) but I feel that will not have a problem on the Promitheus/Odyssey matching.

-c

edit: Derrick is now using REF C-Core preamp.

jmck407

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2008, 05:07 pm »
What is the output voltage and resistance of your dac. Thats what its going to be connected to right? Also is that right the Odyssey has a 18Kohm input ?

You are right, it would get it's input from the DAC, not the SB3....and to think of all the time I wasted finding the output voltage of the SB  :duh:.                The promitheus ships with a default of 2v's out, but can be changed to either 1v, or 4v by jumpers.  Have not opened mine to check the output level, assumed 2v, but since I purchased it used, should probably check.  But at 2v's the calculations would be the same as used for the SB.  Not sure on the 18k input, but the value was measured on two amps by the poster.

F-100

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2008, 02:52 am »
I do have extensive experience with several version of Promitheus EI-core TVC and the new Reference C-core dual box TVC with my Odyssey Extreme Mono block.  I find the TVC and Odyssey combination is extremely musical and the transparency is remarkable. I can recommend the Promitheous TVC without hesitation.

I have tried various active tube preamp including Blue Circle BC3, Kora Equinox and several other Chinese made preamps and in my opinion, the TVC sound the best in my system. 

jmck407

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2008, 05:37 am »
Thanks for the reply Derrick.  If I am able to purchase the odyssey's, I will eventually try them with pre ordered Onix LS9's.  I currently have the monarchy amps hooked up to a pr of mini stratas and really enjoy the combination, it's just once in a while I begin to hear strain when I want to listen really loud.   Concerned that given the LS9's are not the same "intimate environment" design as the minis, the 80w/ch from the monarchy's won't allow me to get to that front row concert level sound I am hoping from the LS9's from time to time, and am looking for a quality amp that will have the power when matched with the TVC to get there.  I can't get that with the mini/monarcy combo (although they do play loud), but never really expected that from them.