Balanced Audio Technology Preamp

Yomaha

Balanced Audio Technology Preamp
« on: 10 Jul 2018, 07:24 pm »
HI - I've been looking at the VK-33SE tube pre from them, but I haven't found a lot of reviews.  I'd be pairing it with a PS Audio DSD Sr. DAC, Dennis Had KT150 Fire Bottle amp, and Salk Songtowers RT.  Any input or experience ya'll could share would be much appreciated!

https://balanced.com/p-vk-33se

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Balanced Audio Technology Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2018, 07:58 pm »
Yes, there are sparse reviews but there is a good review on the VK-33.  The SE  version will be even better.  I own an older VK-51se and love it.  The SE versions are more dynamic and musical otherwise they will sound similar.

I tried a PS Audio DSD DAC in my system and it sounded great.  My amp is a Pass X250.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0115/Balanced_Audio_Technology_VK_33_Vacuum_Tube_Preamplifier_Review.htm

Yomaha

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2018, 09:22 pm »
Thanks - I'll check it out!  For the SE version, a BAT rep said there is a substantial change to the gain stage to accommodate the output transformers.

Upscale Audio has a video clip about the BAT pre's on their site.  I've had good dealings with them, but I always take things with a grain of salt when I know I'm asking the barber if I need a haircut :).

jtsnead

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2018, 08:20 pm »
How about the PS Audio BHK very very good pre

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2018, 08:28 pm »

Any input or experience ya'll could share would be much appreciated!
Years ago I have listened the 51SE for some hours and it had a nice sound and lot of features. As it use various tubes and not use hard wiring point to point, make sure the PCB is not burned, a new PCB is expensive.

Yomaha

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2018, 11:49 pm »
I PS Audio BHK Pre is on my short list as well. Plenty of solid reviews, plus PSA has a generous trade in program and in home auditions.

The BAT has a clear upgrade path where as BHK is the last stop on the PSA train...for now at least. Free in home demo is hard to pass up though

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2018, 02:47 am »
Years ago I have listened the 51SE for some hours and it had a nice sound and lot of features. As it use various tubes and not use hard wiring point to point, make sure the PCB is not burned, a new PCB is expensive.

The BAT VK-51se uses only 1 tube model, the 6H30 super tube x 8.  No other tubes can be used so there really is no tube rolling to be done unless you want to spend over $1K for the NOS 6H30's which are hard to come by.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2018, 02:59 am »
The BAT VK-51se uses only 1 tube model, the 6H30 super tube x 8.  No other tubes can be used so there really is no tube rolling to be done unless you want to spend over $1K for the NOS 6H30's which are hard to come by.
This tube not cheap, even the sino version cost around $60 each.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2018, 03:54 am »
New 6H30's cost about $32-$35 each.  The NOS tubes go for about $400 each.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jul 2018, 04:12 am »
New 6H30's cost about $32-$35 each.  The NOS tubes go for about $400 each.
For around $30 I have seen the Pi version(pulse version) that is not suited for audio.
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2018, 05:26 am by FullRangeMan »

nc42acc

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 2018, 11:42 am »
I have several pieces of equipment that use this tube and I think the only two reasonable options you have are the Sovtek and the Electro-Harmonix which are both the same tube except the EH has gold pins. If you dare to go into the NOS land of the 6H30 beware there are many that are fake. http://www.aca.gr/index/hiend/hiendArticles?row=1988
Hope this helps.

who?me?

« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2018, 05:49 pm »
I recommend the SE versions of BAT stuff.
these units have the extra power packs and allow for more headroom,
faster transients, overall better gestalt of the music.

I have had their first hybrid integrated, the 300x SE for years, and used the NOS 6h30s.
they were the best tubes, but expensive, as stated.

I also had a 52 SE preamp, but I believe I had other tube options, not just the 6h30.
I used the 6922s, and changed my mind about the 6h30s, that I could live without them
with a good set of 6922s.
YMMV.
good luck

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2018, 06:48 pm »
Someome knows how many BAT are asking for an 6H30 or an 6C33?
« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2018, 08:54 pm by FullRangeMan »

richidoo

« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2018, 07:48 pm »
HI - I've been looking at the VK-33SE tube pre from them, but I haven't found a lot of reviews.  I'd be pairing it with a PS Audio DSD Sr. DAC, Dennis Had KT150 Fire Bottle amp, and Salk Songtowers RT.  Any input or experience ya'll could share would be much appreciated!

DS has an excellent volume control, did you try it direct to the amp with no preamp? Dennis likes dark rich sound, so his KT150s might be all the tube color you need. DS is so smooth and natural I would want to minimize color as much as possible anyway to prevent any further loss of tonal texture.

Yomaha

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jul 2018, 12:19 pm »
DS has an excellent volume control, did you try it direct to the amp with no preamp? Dennis likes dark rich sound, so his KT150s might be all the tube color you need. DS is so smooth and natural I would want to minimize color as much as possible anyway to prevent any further loss of tonal texture.

That's a great point. I haven't tried that, but now that you mention it, i will. The DS took a while to break in which is what I read but now the sound is glorious. It's going thru a Solid state preamp ATM.  Will try direct to tube power amp.

Yomaha

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jul 2018, 12:03 am »
So I tried the DS direct to the KT150 Firebottle, bypassing the preamp entirely. There were some minor improvements I heard in the detail of stringed acoustic instruments, but I felt like the soundstage width narrowed considerably.  I ended up going back to the solid state pre, and much prefer that.  Glad I tried it though.