Show Us Your Core-NCore!

mr_bill

Re: Show Us Your Core-NCore!
« Reply #140 on: 2 Jul 2012, 05:01 am »

What is this case - looks like it would match PS Audio equipment well, Occam?

rascal

« Reply #141 on: 2 Jul 2012, 08:18 am »
Thank you SG-I guess I did not look at pairing for idle power consumption.

I may have to look at adding trigger switch for powering amp up so I can be a bit more lazy  :oops:

Need?  No. 

A bit higher than that -- closer to 15w for each PS and amp-module pair when on and ready to play.

Occam

« Reply #142 on: 2 Jul 2012, 03:28 pm »
Mr. Bill,

The case is from Silicon Ray -
http://www.siliconray.com/mechanical/enclosures/re4310w-430x100x330-aluminum-enclosure.html

It was on sale for $150, down from $185 when I bought it.
A couple of caveats - The front and back panels (as well as the sides) are 8mm thick aluminum, so the mounting of the miniature toggle and RCA female chassis connectors required milling out the back to lessen the thickness. This wasn't required for the standard size toggle switch on the front or the binding posts, IEC inlet, or XLR input.
The necessity of the 2 3pdt locking miniature switches on the back is specific to my need to switch between XLR and RCA inputs on the fly. One pole of the on-off-on switch is used to lift the ground of Nampon, and the other 2 for switching between XLR and RCA inputs.
A more rational build would simply use XLR connectors, and forego the Nampon switching which would eliminate the need for machining the inside of the  panel. An on-off ac power switch allows the switching of external cables and cords.

FWIW,
Paul

PS - I've found 3 brass cones to be quite effective vibration control, subjectively. They're, IMO, for this build, preferable to Black Diamond Racing (BDR) cones as well as Stillpoints. YMMV

bruno

• Industry Participant
« Reply #143 on: 3 Jul 2012, 09:48 am »
Nice!! How do we top that?  :thumb: :thumb:
Like this perhaps? :P

Seriously, very nice work Jason...

For those wondering about the logo, occasionally when we think someone will make something nice, we can be moved to sending them the outlines in a vector file. The metal workshop people then have to work the machining trajectory out for themselves because that depends on their choice of alloy and mill bits.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #144 on: 3 Jul 2012, 01:29 pm »
Seriously, very nice work
Thanks!   :thumb:

For those wondering about the logo, occasionally when we think someone will make something nice, we can be moved to sending them the outlines in a vector file. The metal workshop people then have to work the machining trajectory out for themselves because that depends on their choice of alloy and mill bits.
This would've helped.   :D  Still only took a few minutes in SolidWorks though.   :wink:

acousticimagery

• Industry Participant
    • ACOUSTICIMAGERY
« Reply #145 on: 4 Jul 2012, 05:49 am »
Like this perhaps? :P

Seriously, very nice work Jason...

Or this......... :D

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #146 on: 5 Jul 2012, 03:17 am »
Bruno's amps have the feng shui down!  Man I love that cruved top...makes your eye go ga-ga!  Flat tops suck (component tops, not guitars)!     
« Last Edit: 5 Jul 2012, 05:40 pm by James Romeyn »

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #147 on: 5 Jul 2012, 10:59 am »
Bruno's amps have the feng shui down!  Man I love that cruved top...makes your eye go ga-ga!  Flat tops suck!     

Not so sure I agree, but that's cool...

TomS

« Reply #148 on: 5 Jul 2012, 01:01 pm »
These guys go together really nicely. It's a strange thing that the preamp is the giant in this mix, not the power amps :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #149 on: 5 Jul 2012, 02:08 pm »
Just starting?   :lol:

Thought you would get a kick out of that. Your energy and knowledge is priceless. Now all I have to do is hear your system some time.  :P

charles

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #150 on: 5 Jul 2012, 02:09 pm »
 Da DUDE. Always a good choice.

charles

mgalusha

« Reply #151 on: 5 Jul 2012, 02:29 pm »
These guys go together really nicely. It's a strange thing that the preamp is the giant in this mix, not the power amps :thumb:

Nice score on a set of face plates.  :thumb:

jhm731

« Reply #152 on: 6 Jul 2012, 06:14 am »
Wonderful faceplates, but why spend money on fancy faceplates or cases for an amp(s) that you can hide behind your speakers?

srb

« Reply #153 on: 6 Jul 2012, 06:27 am »
If I did have machined NCore logo faceplates, I would like the logo to be much smaller, very much like the sizing of the Acoustic Imagery Atsah faceplate logo.  Having the logo takeup the whole faceplate evokes a pickup truck tailgate.

Steve

Rclark

« Reply #154 on: 6 Jul 2012, 07:56 am »
Wonderful faceplates, but why spend money on fancy faceplates or cases for an amp(s) that you can hide behind your speakers?

because they're awesome.

There is also of course, the sleeper, it will be interesting to see who puts those together. NC400's in just the worst cases possible.

TomS

« Reply #155 on: 6 Jul 2012, 04:52 pm »
Jeez, I had to check to make sure I hadn't posted this in Frank's circle  :scratch:

Next time I'll use the shoe boxes  :duh:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #156 on: 6 Jul 2012, 04:57 pm »
Nice score on a set of face plates.  :thumb:

+1

But you already knew my thoughts on them.

George

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #157 on: 6 Jul 2012, 04:59 pm »

If I did have machined NCore logo faceplates, I would like the logo to be much smaller, very much like the sizing of the Acoustic Imagery Atsah faceplate logo.  Having the logo takeup the whole faceplate evokes a pickup truck tailgate.

Steve

It's wonderful pointing fingers while you are parked right in front a keyboard isn't it? Makes you feel good right?  I can see why JohnR gets aggravated with some of the members here.

I'm sure both of you have absolutely pristine diy creations.

:duh:

Anand.

gprro

« Reply #158 on: 6 Jul 2012, 05:09 pm »

because they're awesome.

There is also of course, the sleeper, it will be interesting to see who puts those together. NC400's in just the worst cases possible.

Haha, at our last get together, i was maybe half joking about putting them into a set of lawn gnomes some how.

A pair of these in your listening room :jester:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #159 on: 6 Jul 2012, 05:16 pm »

Because I choose to have it look nice!

While I don't pick gear based on how it looks; I would rather have it be appealing to my eye if at all possible and cost effective.

Given the rather modest costs involved, it was a no-brainer for me and I am very happy that I took this approach.   :green:

Kudos to Jason for coming up with the design and making it available.   :thumb:

George