Ben Roethlisberger

twitch54

Re: Ben Roethlisberger
« Reply #40 on: 22 Mar 2010, 06:29 pm »
I'm asking if you believe they are not severe enough.  For example, if Burress had done what he did in Massachusetts instead of NYC, his sentence would have carried a *maximum* of 2 years (instead of the minimum 3 years in NYC)...and could have possibly been simply levied a fine of up to $1000 (instead of the mandatory jail time in NYC).

Phil, I really am not trying to stir up a second amendment argument but what I'm trying to say is ......when stupid people commit stupid crimes (in this case with a gun involved) then I have no problem with the 'maximum sentence' being handed down.

Again, it's actions like this that drive responsible gun owners nuts.

I'll drop any further commenting on Mr Burris... I'll return this thread back to discussion on 'Big Ben' !

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #41 on: 22 Mar 2010, 06:35 pm »
I was watching an HDTV show which covered "Green Beer Day" at Miami University (Oxford, Ohio); Ben's alma mater.

The host, Art Mann, questioned one kid about Ben's popularity at the university.  This kid went on speaking about how Ben has come back for this day with body guards seeking out "floozies".  I wonder how evidence like this would do in court.   :duh:  The kid was really drunk though.   :thumb:

PhilNYC

« Reply #42 on: 22 Mar 2010, 06:38 pm »
Phil, I really am not trying to stir up a second amendment argument but what I'm trying to say is ......when stupid people commit stupid crimes (in this case with a gun involved) then I have no problem with the 'maximum sentence' being handed down.

That's fine.  All I was asking was what you thought the "maximum sentence" should be (or what the "minimum sentence" should be), because it is far less severe and less rigid in other parts of the country than it is in NYC...and certainly there are other crimes (such as DUI) that have far lower minimum sentences as well as more flexibility in the sentencing that are just as bad as what Burress was guilty of doing...

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #43 on: 22 Mar 2010, 06:41 pm »
its well known that ben was a total skin hound in college and still yet today. 

but its not illegal to be a horn-dog.

Bigfish

« Reply #44 on: 22 Mar 2010, 07:03 pm »
its well known that ben was a total skin hound in college and still yet today. 

but its not illegal to be a horn-dog.

I think we all know that Ben likes girls/women and I personally agree with his sexual preference.  However, most of the professional football players like girls but they don't get charged twice in less than a year with some type of sexual misconduct.  Maybe Ben must think "No" does not apply to him or I guess I should say his accusers said he pushed forward after they said "no."  I wonder how good a quarterback Ben could be if he were actually smart as Peyton?  Yes, I do not believe Ben and Peyton are on the same IQ level.

Ken

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #45 on: 22 Mar 2010, 07:13 pm »
the point is proving the guy likes girls...a lot...doesnt make him a rapist as mentioned below.
I was watching an HDTV show which covered "Green Beer Day" at Miami University (Oxford, Ohio); Ben's alma mater.

The host, Art Mann, questioned one kid about Ben's popularity at the university.  This kid went on speaking about how Ben has come back for this day with body guards seeking out "floozies".  I wonder how evidence like this would do in court.   :duh:  The kid was really drunk though.   :thumb:

as for ben vs peyton, who cares, peyton chocks at the big game ben doesnt.  intelligence doesnt trump skill, otherwise NASA would have one kickass ball team.

PhilNYC

« Reply #46 on: 22 Mar 2010, 07:19 pm »
the point is proving the guy likes girls...a lot...doesnt make him a rapist as mentioned below.

as for ben vs peyton, who cares, peyton chocks at the big game ben doesnt.  intelligence doesnt trump skill, otherwise NASA would have one kickass ball team.

Didn't Ben have the lowest QB rating of any QB in Super Bowl history in his first SB appearance?

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #47 on: 22 Mar 2010, 07:27 pm »
yep and he won. :thumb:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #48 on: 22 Mar 2010, 07:35 pm »
Looks like Rooney is sending Goodell in to smooth things over.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/03/22/roger.goodell.big.ben.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Big Ben continues to look worse all the time. If he keeps going like he has been, he will eventually remove what little doubt exists about his guilt.

The Stealers better look for a replacement. This guy is hell bent on self-destruction.

PhilNYC

« Reply #49 on: 22 Mar 2010, 07:40 pm »
yep and he won. :thumb:

eh...the team won despite Ben, not because of him...

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #50 on: 22 Mar 2010, 07:43 pm »
eh...the team won despite Ben, not because of him...
convienent, but if they would have lost it was all his fault im sure... :wink:

PhilNYC

« Reply #51 on: 22 Mar 2010, 08:09 pm »
convienent, but if they would have lost it was all his fault im sure... :wink:

Well, you know...22.0 passer rating, 2 INTs, lots of help from the refs...if the shoe fits... :P

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #52 on: 22 Mar 2010, 08:14 pm »
thats all water under the bridge, the only thing that got sized to fit was a supebowl ring in the end.

twitch54

« Reply #53 on: 22 Mar 2010, 08:30 pm »
thats all water under the bridge, the only thing that got sized to fit was a supebowl ring in the end.

Good point, but I wonder is he a 'Hall of Famer' ?

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #54 on: 22 Mar 2010, 08:30 pm »
Jimna - Adolescent gloating and a "ends justify the means" attitude, while consistent with the Stealer fan mentality, looks out of place here. If not for the lousy ref work at the end of the Viking game, the Stealers would have been eliminated that day and the Vikes might have had home field against the Saints. Lots of ifs there, but the bottom line is simply ref control of the outcome ruins the NFL. I've lost interest because of them.

And Roethlisburger is a somehow pulls it off QB. Very little finesse and a hell of a lot of mistakes. Without Polamalu, he can't win consistently.

By the way, the further that team gets from Bill's coaching, the weaker they will become. They will stink this year.

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #55 on: 22 Mar 2010, 08:36 pm »
Jimna - Adolescent gloating and a "ends justify the means" attitude, while consistent with the Stealer fan mentality, looks out of place here. If not for the lousy ref work at the end of the Viking game, the Stealers would have been eliminated that day and the Vikes might have had home field against the Saints. Lots of ifs there, but the bottom line is simply ref control of the outcome ruins the NFL. I've lost interest because of them.

And Roethlisburger is a somehow pulls it off QB. Very little finesse and a hell of a lot of mistakes. Without Polamalu, he can't win consistently.

By the way, the further that team gets from Bill's coaching, the weaker they will become. They will stink this year.
whatever.  im a sports fan of that team, what do you want?  we won and that is that, the rest is speculation.    :eyebrows:

twitch however poses a good question, but i dont have the answer yet.   i dont think i will for another 5 yrs, time will tell that tale.

go steelers

Bigfish

« Reply #56 on: 22 Mar 2010, 08:42 pm »

He will have to win probably two more Superbowls and have to be voted MVP in both for any consideration.  He does not have an MVP Trophy yet.

Oh, Ben had a bad game in his first Superbowl but many fans forget he played lights-out in the playoffs that year.  His play in the playoffs got the Steelers to the Superbowl.

I think the Steelers will wait to see if Ben is charged before they try to draft a quarterback in April.  McCoy from Texas will be available when the Steelers draft at 18.  I think Bradford and the kid from Notre Dame will be gone by then. 

No, I guess you don't have to be smart to play quarterback but we aren't gong to cut him any slack for being stupid, either.  It will not hurt my feelings if he is no longer a Steeler when the season starts.

Ken

maxwalrath

« Reply #57 on: 22 Mar 2010, 08:50 pm »

I think the Steelers will wait to see if Ben is charged before they try to draft a quarterback in April.  McCoy from Texas will be available when the Steelers draft at 18.  I think Bradford and the kid from Notre Dame will be gone by then. 

18 is a little too early to take McCoy, but if the Redskins and the Bills pass on Clausen he could slip to them (Holmgren makes it sound like he's not wanted in Cleveland, so unless he's just throwing a smokescreen I think Washington and Buffalo are it for Clausen). 

PhilNYC

« Reply #58 on: 22 Mar 2010, 08:57 pm »

On the strength of his 2nd SB win, he's got a shot...but he's not there yet.  Hopefully his legal troubles don't shorten his career (and opportunity to prove his HOF worth)...

Jimna

• Song Catcher
« Reply #59 on: 22 Mar 2010, 09:03 pm »
also dont forget his rookie yr, he had one hell of a run.  i bet he does end up there as long as he isnt in jail first.