2017/18 Honda CR-V thoughts?

Folsom

2017/18 Honda CR-V thoughts?
« on: 19 Mar 2018, 02:53 am »
I've been helping my mother narrow down a new car. Between all the ratings and some that I've looked at in person, the CR-V seems like it's a low price for everything you get (although cars are expensive in general). It's rather updated, comes with 190hp engine with excellent MPG. That is unlike the Rav4 which is 175hp non-turbo that doesn't develop power half as fast, and only has 6spd instead of 8-10/cvt. Plus it's like $3k to get the updated infotainment system on the Rav4, which the Honda comes standard with a better one. A few other cars were under consideration like the Audi Q3, Lexus RX, well I guess at this point that's mostly it. Cars (she likes to sit up higher), non-AWD, bad mpg, bad resale, bad safety, etc have been ruled out.

Anyways, I'd like some personal opinions on the CR-V if anyone has one.

Tubeburner

Re: 2017/18 Honda CR-V thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2018, 04:19 am »
The Honda CR-V is bullet proof. I own one and my friend has one for his wife's work vehicle. All I have done is the required maintenance and gas. It's nice to pull into the station and fill up with 11 gallons. I average 23 mpg overall with a lot of city driving. I get 30-31 on a road trip. My only negative is there is some road noise toward the back. That's it.

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2018, 10:13 am »
I purchased a new 2017 right before year end. In short, I love it. Gas mileage is very good for AWD, with 1500 mi, almost all in town, I'm getting about 25-26mpg. It is much better on the highway. It drives well, and has exceptional roominess for the overall size of the vehicle. I purposefully moved up to the middle trim level, not just for niceties like leather with heating seats, and the power liftgate, but I wanted the turbo engine, and moreso the suite of safety options are really great. I especially love the blind-spot warning.  One of the cool things about the mid-tier is, while you don't get navigation, if you have a android or iOS smartphone, you can download a program to talk to the vehicle. I use Andriod Auto, and I can use Google Maps, and make hands free calls by using OK Google commands. 

Hope this helps!
g

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2018, 10:28 am »
We drove one last year when looking to replace our van.  Ended up choosing a 2014 Acura RDX instead for my wife.

Will try to get my Mom in a Honda this year too.  I think the CRV would be ideal for her.  Have not heard anything bad about them. 

maty

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2018, 10:42 am »
Weeks ago we have a HR-V that has replaced an "old" CR-V in the family (many years with Honda). The new CR-V still not marketed in Europe. In a city like Tarragona (Spain) it does not make much sense an all-terrain vehicle with four-wheel drive.

For me is very important the dates, like reliability, number of dealers...

Toyota is the best choice in 4x4 in Spain just now I think.

maty

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2018, 10:52 am »
By the way, Audi Q3 is made by SEAT in Martorell (Barcelona, Spain). Good German cars are not as reliable and repairs cost much more than good Japanese. We have preferred the Japanese for many years.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2018, 12:11 pm »
Bought a Nissan Rogue in 2015 after looking at the Rogue, CR-V and Rav-4. Been very happy with it; 28.8 mpg, according to the cars computer.

I traded in a Rav-4 to buy it. I've been a Toyota guy since I bought a new Corona in 76, but I have to say the Rav-4 seems cheaply built (interior) compared to the others.

maty

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2018, 12:46 pm »
Nissan Rogue -> in Europe: Nissan Qashqai / Renault Kadjar are the best sellers in Spain.

The Subaru XV 2018 has more gadgets inside but less dealerships, reliability, more expensive and without the discount offered by Honda for the "old" CR-V. The HR-V just had a big offer in January too. Irresistible.  8)

And if I remember correctly, the trunk of the HR-V is larger and, above all, very practical for a family.

The Honda are more austere on the inside but the materials are good / great quality.

Of course, if you change it every few years or use the renting... factors such as reliability and repairs costs matter less.

If you do not have an Honda, a big offer... and it is only for your mother and not for a family and you/she wants 4x4 the new Subaru is very interesting.

Folsom

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2018, 05:58 pm »
Bought a Nissan Rogue in 2015 after looking at the Rogue, CR-V and Rav-4. Been very happy with it; 28.8 mpg, according to the cars computer.

I traded in a Rav-4 to buy it. I've been a Toyota guy since I bought a new Corona in 76, but I have to say the Rav-4 seems cheaply built (interior) compared to the others.

Sadly Toyota is making a mistake with the Rav4. It would be on the plate but they have decided to invest 0 money into it, until sometime after 2020. The reason is it sells so well they have no reason to do so... but other products are going to surpass it so much that by 2020 numbers will be doing and they'll be 2 years out on big improvements. The Camry is going AWD by 2020, the trucks are slated for different improvements for MPG etc... everything but the Rav4.

IMO the Rav4 has always been underpowered. I often drive one that is 2WD until 4WD kicks in or you lock the diffs. The thing about that is while it's in 2WD I get more power overall to propel me forward. The AWD version of today has the same exact engine but gets less power as it rotates a lot more stuff all the time. And no more v6 ever... Why couldn't that have put the 200hp 8spd from the Camry in it? problem solved with a better infotainment system... but nope. This is why I've pushed my mother towards Honda, better price, better interior, better power, etc.. Honda stepped up their game a lot more with their 17/18. But I haven't been in one, so personal opinions are worth a lot.

maty I don't trust those rankings by JDpower, not at all. I've seen a LOT of those graphs and is MB isn't much lower, it's a lie. You'll find a huge variance in those graphs, which is super annoying for a consumer wanting to "educated" themselves - for whatever it's worth.

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2018, 06:08 pm »
maty I don't trust those rankings by JDpower, not at all. I've seen a LOT of those graphs and is MB isn't much lower, it's a lie. You'll find a huge variance in those graphs, which is super annoying for a consumer wanting to "educated" themselves - for whatever it's worth.

It's not a matter of trust - those are overall rankings by manufacturer. A company can make a super reliable car and a very unreliable one depending on which factory it is manufactured. Best to look at model and year reliability rankings.

maty

« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2018, 06:15 pm »
Well, over the years the Japanese cars are the more realibility. Many years ago Mitsubishi was up but it has been a long time ago.

These years I have seen many rankings on reliability in vehicles. And of rental vehicles too, which are very interesting due to the mistreatment they suffer.

And what is undeniable, at least in Spain, is that the repairs of German cars are very expensive. Mercedes, BMW and Volkswagen group.

With renting, the Spanish executives love Audi. A decade ago, BMW.

Folsom

« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2018, 06:32 pm »

It's not a matter of trust - those are overall rankings by manufacturer. A company can make a super reliable car and a very unreliable one depending on which factory it is manufactured. Best to look at model and year reliability rankings.

Yes, I'd be fine with a BMW 1,2,3, or the lowest end MB's, but both their higher end ones are shop queens. There are a few examples like that.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2018, 06:35 pm »
I had a 2016 Pilot (prior to that a 2014 Pilot, prior to that a 2012 CR-V, prior to that a 2007 CR-V and prior to that a 2003 Acura MDX).  I test drove the 2017 CR-V.  Very nice.  Unfortunately my 2016 had issues and the dealer's service sucks very badly IMO (and I gave them multiple chances and even sent an email before the test drive about the problem - the old service manager left right after I got my 2016 and it went downhill from there - the service manager didn't even come out to talk to me and all the service adviser was worried about was if I would do a survey which I wouldn't bother with).  So I bought something else as the next closest (Honda) dealer was not in a great location for me.  I won't buy another car from the dealer until the service manager is gone and I see better reviews on a consistent basis.  It was the worst service I've ever had (and it was not something that should have been difficult to fix and I went back multiple times - a wiring harness that they replaced that did not resolve the issue) and I just can't buy another car from a dealer that bad.

tonyptony

« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2018, 06:53 pm »
I'd been a Ford driver for over 20 years. Been very happy with them all, but when it came time to move to another SUV/Crossover (back when they were available I used to drive the 2 door Explorer Sport) I looked at and test drove the Mazda CX-5, the CR-V, the Ford Escape, and the RAV4. I left the Ford family partly because the Escape wasn't as comfortable behind the wheel (for me), partly because for a similar power option the gas mileage was worse, and partly because for me it didn't add up to as much value for the dollar. The 2017 CR-V felt great, rode great, has very good mileage for the mid-tier turbo, and at least historically has had a great reputation for reliability. I'm glad I bought it.

But I would stick with the Ford Fusion if I weren't moving to a SUV. The Fusion is a great sedan.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2018, 06:57 pm »
Excellent value, VG resale value, good company.

charles

Doublej

« Reply #15 on: 20 Mar 2018, 12:29 am »
Sadly Toyota is making a mistake with the Rav4. It would be on the plate but they have decided to invest 0 money into it, until sometime after 2020. The reason is it sells so well they have no reason to do so... but other products are going to surpass it so much that by 2020 numbers will be doing and they'll be 2 years out on big improvements. The Camry is going AWD by 2020, the trucks are slated for different improvements for MPG etc... everything but the Rav4.

IMO the Rav4 has always been underpowered. I often drive one that is 2WD until 4WD kicks in or you lock the diffs. The thing about that is while it's in 2WD I get more power overall to propel me forward. The AWD version of today has the same exact engine but gets less power as it rotates a lot more stuff all the time. And no more v6 ever... Why couldn't that have put the 200hp 8spd from the Camry in it? problem solved with a better infotainment system... but nope. This is why I've pushed my mother towards Honda, better price, better interior, better power, etc.. Honda stepped up their game a lot more with their 17/18. But I haven't been in one, so personal opinions are worth a lot.

????

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1075269_2019-toyota-rav4-teased-ahead-of-2018-new-york-auto-show

Folsom

« Reply #16 on: 20 Mar 2018, 12:53 am »
That's this month. I spoke to the guy at the dealer last month... That also doesn't really say a lot. The Camry is going from FWD to AWD, now that's a big change.

Doublej

« Reply #17 on: 20 Mar 2018, 12:57 am »
That's this month. I spoke to the guy at the dealer last month... That also doesn't really say a lot. The Camry is going from FWD to AWD, now that's a big change.

Says a lot me.

Toyota will use this month's 2018 New York International Auto Show to introduce its all-new, fifth-generation RAV4.

Emil

« Reply #18 on: 7 Apr 2019, 01:20 pm »
I was planning to lease a new 2019 CRV today when I came across several videos this morning concerning the 1.5 liter turbos oil dilution  problem. In a nutshell, gas is getting mixed in with the oil causing stalling, poor performance and the smell of gas in the car.
Owners are saying that even after a recall, the problem still persists. This has been an issue since 2016 and still seems to be an issue with 2019 models.

https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/honda-15l-engine-suffers-cold-weather-oil-dilution-problem

"The issue already has prompted at least one class-action lawsuit alleging excessive oil dilution is causing engine damage due to high wear on inadequately lubricated components.

That’s not surprising to Gary Morris, a longtime Honda owner who says he’s experienced excessive oil dilution in his 1.5L-equipped ’17 and ’18 CR-Vs despite living in Louisiana and typically only driving longer distances. Morris says he has seen oil levels an inch above the “FULL” mark on his dipstick.

“It’s going to be the biggest and most costly problem they’ve ever had,” predicts Morris, whose arbitration case against Honda was denied. “This is going to be Honda’s Waterloo."

Needless to say, I'm not leasing the Honda today.

Folsom

« Reply #19 on: 7 Apr 2019, 06:05 pm »
Wow, glad that was avoided...

The 1.5 performs really well in a test drive but that sounds silly.

She got a HR-V. She likes it a lot. The heated seats are a big deal to her. The one downside is it's impossible to use navigation from your phone. I even tried the HDMI input but it's worthless.

I've driven it a few times and it handles very well. Road noise is a bit annoying but not horrible, and it's not really for anything 6ft+, but it's not bad.