G’day from Australia

RePete72

G’day from Australia
« on: 9 Apr 2022, 04:26 am »
Hello

Like so many others I got into DIY speaker building during lockdown and after being inspired by this forum and a few others I stumbled into the world of open baffle

My current system

3 x Full range drivers in a short line array with inductor on the bottom 2 to balance the rising response
The ever popular Alpha 15 in “H” frame
Bi amped with DSP crossover at 150hz

The enjoyment I get from these speakers is unlike anything I’ve experienced before, huge soundstage and exciting dynamics present the most lifelike image. I’ve discovered the joy of classical music as it swings effortlessly from a single instrument playing at about 70db and then swelling to 110db as the orchestra kicks in

Rock music can be played at 110db with no harshness and while you know it’s loud there is no rush to turn it down. (Only this loud for short demonstrations 😉)

The surface area of the midrange means cone movement is minute and the lack of distortion is gobsmacking

This is a crude frequency plot from the listening position using the IPad microphone

I really don’t know what the next project will be but I’ll keep searching the forum for ideas 😁

Mmaxed

Re: G’day from Australia
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2022, 02:54 am »
Which full range drivers?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2022, 05:11 am »
Nice, the FR drivers are in series ?

jules

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2022, 09:29 am »
Nice bit of work Pete, with plenty of design character from your personal input [from another Australian  :D]