Topping D10 DAC? Any good?

EZHusky

• Just a Highschooler trying to get by.
Topping D10 DAC? Any good?
« on: 11 May 2018, 03:19 pm »
Ive been looking at the Topping d10 DAC and i was wondering if there is anyone who owns one or if anyone knows enough about DACs to look at the specs and tell me what you think about it for that price

Blackmore

Re: Topping D10 DAC? Any good?
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2018, 03:32 pm »
No direct experience with any of the Topping choices but did you see this?

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-d10-dac.2470/

Seems like it gets a pretty clean bill of health in the measurement department.

jmc207

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2018, 04:10 pm »
I have the Topping D10 (ES9018K2M) as well as the D20 (PCM1793), and the Topping D30 (Cirrus CS4398). Limited time right now on the D10 and I think it has potential but I need to play with it a lot more. For sound quality that's more open and relaxed, the older D20 is my favorite in the small nearfield system I'm using it with. The D30 is also very good but a bit more forward, energetic, sometimes too aggressive, but that may have to do more with my nearfield setup. It may be better in my big system in a larger room. Back to the D10, I hope to get more time with it in the next week or two. I've have a cold lately and the congestion has affected my hearing ability. Anyway, these Topping DACs are very good for the price and compete pretty well against higher priced DACs.

Topping D20 is reviewed here:
https://www.headfonia.com/affordable-digital-to-analog-conversion-topping-d2-and-d20/2/

John

ohenry

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2018, 05:30 pm »
I have a D10 and it's the best low cost dac I've encountered.  I'm sold on the value and sound.  And, if you don't like it after some play time, simply insert another opamp.  They just plug in the sockets. very simple.

jmc207

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2018, 01:41 am »
OK, I plugged in the D10 at lunch and let it play until I returned home from work. I'll now agree with ohenry that it's the best low cost dac I've encountered yet as well. Not only Topping DACs but more than 5 DACs from other brands. The D10 is very clear and detailed, quite good bass, decent warmth and liquidity. That balance may take some experimentation with different cables. In my system slightly warm to warmish cables were not a good match, leaner, brighter (silver clad) ones worked better. I almost didn't purchase the D10 since I was so satisfied with the D20. Curiosity got the best of me with the ability to change the opamp, and I'm now glad I ordered it. Probably won't experiment with any opamp change for at least several weeks.

John
« Last Edit: 12 May 2018, 10:23 pm by jmc207 »