Silk Tower vs Song3

floresjc

Silk Tower vs Song3
« on: 18 Jun 2024, 02:23 am »
Anyone have any thoughts on this, particularly Jim? I would think the Song3 have some advantage being a three way and somewhat newer design. But the Silks were really something special and I have to believe the tower was nothing less.

I would assume Song3 lets say Beat, has a bit more extension, and maybe a bit less clarity than the Silk towers?

Rshorb

Re: Silk Tower vs Song3
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2024, 07:30 am »
Anyone have any thoughts on this, particularly Jim? I would think the Song3 have some advantage being a three way and somewhat newer design. But the Silks were really something special and I have to believe the tower was nothing less.

I would assume Song3 lets say Beat, has a bit more extension, and maybe a bit less clarity than the Silk towers?

Owning the Silk Monitors (hopefully the towers next week) and all of the Song series. All of the Song series use the same woofer, so extension is the same. But the Song series does extend just a tad lower than the Silk Towers per the specs listed. The BeAt's have more midrange clarity being a poly cone and a 3-way design. The Silks being a paper cone are more forgiving but not as much as you would expect.

floresjc

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2024, 02:48 pm »
Wow, did you find a used pair of the towers?

Rshorb

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2024, 03:04 pm »
Yes I did just picked them up last night.

Rshorb

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2024, 03:11 am »
In listening to them tonight. I would say they are like the song tower RT’s. Just play deeper and more impact and bass presence. They are a very smooth sounding speaker but have plenty of detail. This is using my Mcgary SA2 with KT90 tubes. Just like the monitors they sound way bigger than there size would suggest.