Introduction and seeking advice (Preamp for Yamaha mx-1000u)

rockthecatbox

Hello, I became interested in vintage hi-fi equipment after sorting through my late father's collection and doing more research on what he always referred to as "good stuff".  The good stuff consisted of an Adcom 565 GFA/GFP Amp/Preamp and tuner and a Yamaha Mx-1000u power amplifier.  My brother took the Adcom stack and I have the Yamaha amplifier.  I also have a Kenwood kr-9340 receiver that I have used as my everything since I got it in Vet school with some Boston Acoustic a70 speakers.

Question -
I am seeking a proper preamplifier for my Yamaha mx-1000u amplifier.  I am looking at a few options - a Yamaha CX-1000, an Adcom GFP-750 (expensive for me), or for about 1/3 the price of the first two - a very well kept Pioneer VSA-910.  The guy selling the pioneer swears up and down its a great preamplifier but I cannot find much information - he seems nice and knowledgeable and not trying to scam me.

What do you think?  Other pre-amps to look out for?  I have been told this Yahama amp is the real McCoy and I want to do it justice. 
« Last Edit: 16 Jun 2024, 04:45 am by rockthecatbox »

Phil A

Re: Introduction and seeking advice (Preamp for Yamaha mx-1000u)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2024, 11:37 am »
Welcome!  The Pioneer is a surround sound piece vs. the Adcom being a 2-channel preamplifier (with a processor loop) and the Yamaha unit is also 2-channel.  You can also go to places like accessories4less.com which carries authorized factory refurbs for various brands (and gets things in stock on a regular basis).  Hifishark.com is a site which searches multiple sites for components (e.g.  https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=pioneer+vsa+910).  Decide what your budget is and what features are important to you (e.g. phono stage, DAC, 2-channel, multichannel, etc.).

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2024, 03:08 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC   :thumb:  Good luck with the hunt.

rockthecatbox

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2024, 05:00 pm »
Thank you for those resources.  So much to learn.  I will be using phono, aux, cd, tape in my home and probably no video stuff.  The amp/preamp will also be running the music for my wedding next summer.

What does it mean that the Pioneer is "a surround piece" vs. 2-channel in terms of my goals? I don't intend to use it for any video stuff.  I just want it to sound as good with my yamaha amplifier.  Really nice older guy selling it - "top of the line Pioneer from 1989" - asking 500$

underdawg2024

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2024, 09:43 pm »
has multi channel outputs for surround sound instead 2 outputs for music or 2 channel.
My preference is tube preamp with solid state amp. solid state preamp with tube amp. I have both setups bought second hand to save a bundle.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2024, 10:21 pm »
Great sound SS pre-amps have large bandwith over 100kHz IMO.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2024, 10:23 pm »

What does it mean that the Pioneer is "a surround piece" vs. 2-channel in terms of my goals? I don't intend to use it for any video stuff.  I just want it to sound as good with my yamaha amplifier.  Really nice older guy selling it - "top of the line Pioneer from 1989" - asking 500$

Google is your friend - https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/vsa-910.shtml    That includes sale prices of items (I already furnished the hifishark website).  1989 is 35 years ago!  You do realize that even if it is working it likely needs recapping (and that's why there is one listed for parts only at hifishark for $89).  $500 is a ridiculous price for it (here's one in mint condition for $135 Canadian sold 14 years back which translates to about $98 USD - https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/157358-pioneer_vsa910_amp__top_of_the_line__100_wpc_rms__power__mint_/).  Maybe not such a nice old guy?

Again - look for things that meet your needs.  Since you already have a power amplifier you want a preamp with the inputs you need.  Again, I also don't know the budget.  Here's one with inputs which may suit your needs - https://www.crutchfield.com/p_452PRE1/OSD-Pre-1.html?tp=75886   There will be better sounding units for more money of course (and don't forget the used market - e.g. hifishark   or    https://www.turntabletreasures.com/products/yamaha-c-50-pre-amp?variant=43480912134388&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&srsltid=AfmBOoqNs-5hRXaXuwfWPJQNC66bgv7EBUr30SylIdXTOA3ENyOnq8AV-bE&com_cvv=8fb3d522dc163aeadb66e08cd7450cbbdddc64c6cf2e8891f6d48747c6d56d2c     or   https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650042370-yamaha-c-6-stereo-control-amplifier-serviced-and-working-good/images/4775062/  )

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2024, 11:08 pm »
I would pay $50 for an senile 1989 receiver, $500 looks a typo.
Sorround receivers are made to run action movies, not hi-fi music.

rockthecatbox

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2024, 01:19 am »
Thank you that's kind of what I was thinking.

On top of a bunch of other stuff I saw he was also selling a Pioneer DV-AX10 for 500$. This was a bit easier to do some research on and piqued my interest.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2024, 03:50 am »
Dont know how much gain do you need, but if you dont need alot of gain consider a OTL tube pre-amp as Decware CSP-3(expensive as new) or EE Minimax(used) or Radu Tarta UX201/301(OTC).

And if you want a SolidState pre-amp look one with a wide bandwidth over 100kHz.
http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/minimax.html

http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/ux201a.html

rockthecatbox

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2024, 06:15 am »
I was looking at the Minimax and CSP3 tube amps but I am unclear if they can hook up to a cd player, record player, tuner etc. What am I missing?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2024, 06:27 am »
Minimax have 3 inputs, CSP-3 have 2 inputs, both dont have phone stage.

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2024, 08:25 pm »
In all honesty, any preamp you end up buying will sound better than the Kenwood. Forget about the Pioneer, it will die soon.

And speaking of dying. The Yamaha MX-1000U might be 36 years old. Did your father rock out? You certainly will with 260 watts per channel. If you don't toast the Boston Acoustics A70 speakers first then it's only a matter of time before something in the Yamaha will go pop. Even my NAD receiver, Adcom preamp and amp didn't last forever, I bought them about the same year your Dad bought his electronics.

Think about building a new system around a preamp that will only sound better with time, the Van Alstine Transcendence 10 RB preamp with phono. Over the years, as you move up in quality from budget electronics and speakers you will keep saying "Wow! I didn't know this preamp was this good." You will be able to give the T10 preamp to one of your kids in 50 years and tell them it's really good and now it's vintage.

Van Alstine has a demo Transcendence 10 RB preamp with phono on sale right now. The best way to decide is to call (please don't text, it's probably a land line anyway). Frank Van Alstine, the owner, usually picks up first. He is fun to talk to and doesn't try to sell you anything. Van Alstine Electronics has been around for 40 years, Frank has been around for a lot longer, like a really, really long time designing electronics that last.
https://avahifi.com/collections/used-demo-and-quick-ship/products/demo-t10-rb-preamplifier-with-phono

Complete description of the T10 RB preamp, it's all tubes too.
https://avahifi.com/collections/preamplifiers/products/transcendence-10-rb-preamplifier

rockthecatbox

« Reply #13 on: 18 Jun 2024, 01:08 am »
Again, thanks for the information and resources.  I thought I was getting into a vintage hi-fi hobby but more and more I see that people are still making new, quality equipment with simple vintage aesthetic.  I suppose I will fill out my vintage stack with misc. japanese Hi-fi I find for less than 100$ a piece and see how long it runs.  Meantime, I think I need to start a new post asking for suggestions on my next project - a stack of new equipment that will last my lifetime - simple, well-built, serviceable, and good sound.

RE the Mx-1000u.  I think it was hardly used, in the closet forever, looks brand new.  I would like to keep it in good working order as much as possible.  Is it worth taking to a professional to have it serviced before I use it for real(it will be powering the music at my wedding next summer)?

rockthecatbox

« Reply #14 on: 18 Jun 2024, 01:29 am »
I think I will give Frank a call.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 18 Jun 2024, 01:35 am »
Wow nice Dynalab, always wanted a 101 or 105. :thumb:
Dont fix what is not broken, if you are picky as I, just open the cover and vacuum the dust. I would not use these rare equips for a party, instead use a cheap boom box and the drinks make the rest.

rockthecatbox

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jun 2024, 03:50 pm »
Wow nice Dynalab, always wanted a 101 or 105. :thumb:
Dont fix what is not broken, if you are picky as I, just open the cover and vacuum the dust. I would not use these rare equips for a party, instead use a cheap boom box and the drinks make the rest.

Thanks, that seems like wise advice.