NX-Otica - My Journey Begins

wb

NX-Otica - My Journey Begins
« on: 13 Jan 2022, 01:04 pm »
NX-Otica

01/10/2022  I called in an order to GR-Research for 1 pair of NX-Otica, I have put this step off for Far Too Long...
01/13/2022  I sent an email request to info@gr-research.com requesting Goertz Copper Foil Inductors, Jupiter Copper Foil Capacitors, and Path Audio Resistors for my
                    NX-Otica crossover network. Jay, Captainhemo, and Ray, Hobbsmeerket, have been very helpful answering many questions.   
01/14/2022  (Goertz) Alpha-Core Inductors are available through GR-Research. I ordered Path Audio Resistors through Parts Connexion.
                    Chriss Young, Jupiter Condenser, has been a great help concerning copper and silver foil capacitors.
01/24/2022  I received the Path Audio Resistors today. Unlike any resistors I have seen before.
07/28/2022  UPS delivery from GR Research has my NX-Otica drivers and crossover components

« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2022, 10:56 pm by wb »

kickngas

Re: NX-Otica - My Journey Begins
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2022, 02:35 pm »
Right there with you...I have received my flatpack, but have not taken (had) the time to assemble it. How are you going to finish the cabinet? Paint, veneer, or a combination of each?

wb

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2022, 02:54 pm »
I'm fortunate to have a hobbyist friend. Based on his past creations, I plan to allow him full artistic creativity.
Just curious, how long from order date til you received the flatpack ??

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2022, 02:59 pm »
We dont actually sell any of those brands, so they will need to be sourced online.
But I imagine they're going to sound fantastic once they're complete! the NX series really plays well with copper foil caps.

kickngas

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2022, 03:13 pm »
I ordered the kit on 11/18 and the flatpack arrived 12/21. I will probably receive the components sometime in February would be my guess.

sortner

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2022, 03:38 pm »
WB - Enjoy the journey you will be blown away how good these are. I hope you can get into the double or tripple subs as well as these are as good as the hype, I am not sure I have heard and enjoyed better bass in my life. I have an acoustically terrible room and these speakers still kick ass,  I have owned and heard some of the best.

Jay's/Don's Captainhemo's flat packs are second to none..

Cheers,

Steve

wb

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jan 2022, 11:47 pm »
Desktop Mini

02/02/2022  Decided to order the Desktop Mini for a trial run.
03/16/2022  UPS just dropped off a package (Desktop Mini - Drivers & Networks) at my door from GR-Research, leaving work in a few minutes to go check it out...
03/16/2022  Ordered Sonicap capacitors and Mills resistors for the desktop mini's. In hindsight, I should have done the upgrade with GR-Research...
03/21/2022  Received Sonicap capacitors and Mills resistors for the desktop mini's. How good can these mini's be ??
03/23/2022  I decided I would need amplification for my desktop mini's, I just ordered the Akitika GT-102 DIY kit. I expect it in late April...
03/25/2022  UPS just dropped off a package (Desktop Mini - Flatpacks) at my door, leaving work in a few minutes to go check it out...
04/04/2022  Finished the crossovers, modified the parts a little, Sealed with Black Liquid Electrical Tape
07/10/2022  Glued and Clamped the boxes
07/30/2022  My Friend Daniel takes over, Cleaned off the glue, rounded over the edges, prepped for Red Oak veneer
08/04/2022  Back veneer filed down on the edges

« Last Edit: 8 Aug 2022, 10:42 pm by wb »

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2022, 12:31 am »

Jay's/Don's Captainhemo's flat packs are second to none..

Cheers,

Steve
Yes, yes they are.   :thumb:

Argoncat

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2022, 01:21 am »
We dont actually sell any of those brands, so they will need to be sourced online.
But I imagine they're going to sound fantastic once they're complete! the NX series really plays well with copper foil caps.

I loved my NX-Studio's with copper foil caps, no doubt these are great, but my move to V-Cap ODAM w/ V-Cap CuTf bypass last fall on the tweeter circuit is a new level that cannot be ignored for their detail expansion, better top end presentation and my dynamic upper octave transients.  As much as I loved my monstrous foil caps, which are still in place in the woofer path, I'm sold on the V-cap in my rig (211 tube mono blocks / LTA pre-amp w/ 12SN7's) YMMV of course...

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2022, 01:36 am »
I still need to build a 2nd crossover with the ODAM caps in the tweeter circuit..
I know the Copper capps Danny offered were similar to the Jupiter caps which are known for being "dark" compared to other caps, and Miflex caps are known for being rich, but also more balanced.

But I'm still interested in seeing what is possible with other caps.
Especially if i can find a way to more easily swap out the caps. Maybe using copper clips or some other means that won't degrade the signal.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2022, 03:32 am »
Coming from my old speakers to test driving my NX-Studios before painting it was not even in the same league as I had ever heard. It has the copper cap w/ bypass on the tweeter and the sonicap with miflex bypass on the woofer.  Perhaps it opens another tube vs s/s discussion, or perhaps it's the fact I'm driving these amazing speakers on a cheaper Pioneer receiver but what I know is that those copper caps are some smoooooooth MF right there. Nothing is overly bright or harsh in any way, but it has detail in spades to let you hear way back into the mix. From what I hear from other people the copper caps hide some details up top compared to the ODAM, but what I hear from the speakers is a revelation of what I thought speakers should sound like. In the end they should all sound fantastic, just a matter of flavoring you want to finish off an amazing design.

RonP

« Reply #11 on: 26 Jan 2022, 02:26 pm »
I still need to build a 2nd crossover with the ODAM caps in the tweeter circuit..
I know the Copper capps Danny offered were similar to the Jupiter caps which are known for being "dark" compared to other caps, and Miflex caps are known for being rich, but also more balanced.

Can't wait to see this write up. Let us know whenever the build starts  :thumb:

wb

« Reply #12 on: 16 Mar 2022, 05:00 pm »
Akitika GT-102

03/23/2022  I decided I would need amplification for my desktop mini's, I just ordered the Akitika GT-102 DIY kit. I expect it in late April...

« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2022, 02:32 pm by wb »

wb

« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2022, 02:41 pm »
I believe everyone will agree that better capacitors and resistors in the crossover circuit will improve the sound. I'll be building this Akitika GT-102 amp soon, Should I put better quality capacitors and resistors in the amplifier signal path ??   :duh:

mkrawcz

« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2022, 04:14 pm »
I believe everyone will agree that better capacitors and resistors in the crossover circuit will improve the sound. I'll be building this Akitika GT-102 amp soon, Should I put better quality capacitors and resistors in the amplifier signal path ??   :duh:
The Akitika stuff uses pretty good components already. I built the preamp and I don’t feel like I ever wanted to change components. And I change components on pretty much everything else I have.

Bigtodd731

« Reply #15 on: 8 Mar 2024, 04:20 pm »
Reviving this thread for two reasons.  The Desktop Minis and mention of a DIY Amp.

This is my first post.  I have been a closet audiophile my whole life.  I consider myself lucky to have found and built a pair of the Desktop Mini speakers as an intro to GR Research and immediately fell down the DIY proverbial rabbit hole.  I am hooked full-on and will never buy another pair of speakers, mic drop.

I saw you also mentioned a DIY Amplifier, Akitika GT102.  I am very interested to hear your feedback on how you are liking this Amp.

Thanks
Signed Newbie  :)

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #16 on: 9 Mar 2024, 02:09 am »
Reviving this thread for two reasons.  The Desktop Minis and mention of a DIY Amp.

This is my first post.  I have been a closet audiophile my whole life.  I consider myself lucky to have found and built a pair of the Desktop Mini speakers as an intro to GR Research and immediately fell down the DIY proverbial rabbit hole.  I am hooked full-on and will never buy another pair of speakers, mic drop.

I saw you also mentioned a DIY Amplifier, Akitika GT102.  I am very interested to hear your feedback on how you are liking this Amp.

Thanks
Signed Newbie  :)

Welcome to AC!  I found this place almost 16 years ago! (holy crap time flies!)  I have several speakers designed by Danny and feel pretty much the same way.

bhassel

« Reply #17 on: 10 Mar 2024, 03:59 pm »

But I'm still interested in seeing what is possible with other caps.
Especially if i can find a way to more easily swap out the caps. Maybe using copper clips or some other means that won't degrade the signal.

Maybe some kind of tube connector end designs for the caps?

Bob

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 11 Mar 2024, 02:48 pm »

I am not a big fan of those resistors. Try sticking a magnet to them. The end caps are ferrous.