Capacitor Talk...

JustPlainNuts

Capacitor Talk...
« on: 20 Mar 2024, 11:27 pm »
I am curious if anyone here has played around with the JB JLX Pure Aluminum Foil Luxury 100VDC Capacitors? I don't see any domestic suppliers, but one can buy them online from Hong Kong.

Danny Richie

Re: Capacitor Talk...
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2024, 02:10 am »
I've ordered thousands of their poly caps. They are actually really good. They also offered to send me the Aluminum foil caps to try, but I have never really cared that much for the sound of Aluminum foil. I told them if they can make me some using Copper foil though, I'd be a buyer.

Huskerbryce

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2024, 04:38 pm »
Speaking of capacitors, I’m looking at cost of sourcing some high-end bypass capacitors for NX Otica crossovers. Should I be looking for just by-passing the tweeter caps or do the mid caps too?  Is a .1 uf standard here or should the values be different? What do you all think would be recommended for this application?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2024, 06:21 pm »
Speaking of capacitors, I’m looking at cost of sourcing some high-end bypass capacitors for NX Otica crossovers. Should I be looking for just by-passing the tweeter caps or do the mid caps too?  Is a .1 uf standard here or should the values be different? What do you all think would be recommended for this application?

I'd do both the tweeter and the midrange caps.  0.1 is good.  You can go smaller but I wouldn't go larger.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2024, 12:08 am »

I have used the (red label) Duelund JDM bypass caps on my Wilson Duette crossover.  When my buddy came by the hear the speakers for the first time (and pickup his crossovers for his Duette) he was blown away with them.  I gave him the "burned in" pair of crossovers and he wanted the bypass caps as well.  He also made me sell him my preamp, but that has worked out pretty well / gave me an excuse...

Anyway, I think the 3 below are common.  For the crossovers for a pair of Merlin VSM speakers... we are doing all Duelund parts, and the bypass caps are the CAST (black label) you see below.  Why?  Well, they are supposed to be very good as well, and it's something different to try.  I would give Hobbs / Danny a call.  There is also a post where Hobbs shares some thoughts about different caps.  The fact that you are using them with Otica (Neo tweeter) and their intimate experience with that speaker, I bet they can help you.

I was just using the bypass caps for the caps on the Tweeter.  Right now, since I don't have the Duelund JDM caps anymore, I'm actually using little red JB Caps for bypass.  It's not fair to compare these crossovers with the other pair that had time on them, but things are sounding good. 

Which are "best"?  That might require a collection of bypass caps to figure out, I guess.

jmimac351

« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2024, 12:18 am »
This is an unauthorized spy shot from a drone in Danny's listening room for his NX-Treme speakers... alligator clips for playing with different bypass caps. And see that little red JB bypass cap on the floor.  That's the same value as the Duelund (big difference in size).

Also, here is the thread where Hobbs shared some thoughts about bypass caps:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172031.msg1959074#msg1959074

Huskerbryce

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2024, 05:26 am »
That last post was very helpful.  I ended up ordering the dueland pure copper cast .1uf tonight.  Looking forward to putting it to work soon.  I have not yet purchased the otica kit.  Plan to order it in late april or early may. Trying to cash flow my sons education and other things.  I wanted to save the 40% on parts connexion.  Hoping to find out from Danny if I can source a proper value miflex pure copper cap for the inline to the tweeter or if sonicap is the way to go.  I dont know the capacitor value on that circuit but these will likely be pricey to source out.  My question will be how much of an upgrade is miflex or dueland over gen 1 sonicap?  Any listening experience here?  It seems Danny likes miflex caps but also uses others as well.  If i can spread the overall cost out over a couple months it will help.  Is a miflex or dueland cap expenditure for a tweeter circuit worth it sonically?

genjamon

« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2024, 06:44 pm »
Miflex substituted for a Clarity cap on my Zu tweeter made a significant improvement.

jmimac351

« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2024, 11:48 pm »
That last post was very helpful.  I ended up ordering the dueland pure copper cast .1uf tonight.  Looking forward to putting it to work soon.  I have not yet purchased the otica kit.  Plan to order it in late april or early may. Trying to cash flow my sons education and other things.  I wanted to save the 40% on parts connexion.  Hoping to find out from Danny if I can source a proper value miflex pure copper cap for the inline to the tweeter or if sonicap is the way to go.  I dont know the capacitor value on that circuit but these will likely be pricey to source out.  My question will be how much of an upgrade is miflex or dueland over gen 1 sonicap?  Any listening experience here?  It seems Danny likes miflex caps but also uses others as well.  If i can spread the overall cost out over a couple months it will help.  Is a miflex or dueland cap expenditure for a tweeter circuit worth it sonically?

Here, this will be a good rabbit hole: https://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

jmimac351

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2024, 01:34 am »
Duelund has come out with lower cost PP caps --> "JDM PP".  The pricing makes these VERY interesting...