RM V60 is coming....7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0

John Casler

RM V60 is coming....7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0
« on: 9 Dec 2006, 03:32 am »
Blast Off

RM V-60

today Brian will begin releasing information on his all new Speaker Design.

This thing is "radically" different than anything I am aware of him doing before.

Pre-release "hint" . . . This new speaker will have new "WOOFAGE" support.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2006, 03:05 pm by John Casler »

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Re: RM V60 is coming....7
« Reply #1 on: 9 Dec 2006, 03:46 am »
Cabinets are here and they are indeed stunning, majestic, amazingly beautiful.  Pix and specs will be published Dec 15.  So far the 60's haven't played a note but I enjoy looking at them immensely!

warnerwh

Re: RM V60 is coming....7
« Reply #2 on: 9 Dec 2006, 04:52 am »
Well I'm certainly looking forward to seeing these speakers. The woofers that have been used for some time now though are excellent drivers being both very accurate with an excellent transient response. Unless he's adding several of them I really don't understand how new woofage could improve much of anything. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Zheeeem

Re: RM V60 is coming....7-6
« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2006, 03:26 pm »
Let me guess, John...  The "V" isn't just some letter of the alphabet thrown in the name to liven things up.  It is integral to the design.  And if 30 and 40 have to do with number of inches of ribbons in the RM30 and RM40, this thing has 60 inches of ribbon in a V-shaped cabinet.  I'm starting to get some weird mental images. 

Brian Cheney

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2006, 03:49 pm »
Do you ever get non-weird mental images?

Ever take the "How Neurotic Are You" test??

Zheeeem

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2006, 04:21 pm »

Uhhhh... Certainly not in the morning.  It's all pretty weird.  Come to think of it, afternoons and evenings are pretty damned weird, too.

I'm pretty nervous that someone is monitoring my website usage and might be watching. 

After watching me glue 60+ sf of foam tiles to the walls, my spousal unit thinks the problem is deeper than mere neurosis.

PLMONROE

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2006, 04:22 pm »
:scratch: Hummmm. Lets see, the RM V-60 should be an improvement over the RM-40 so it should have aspects of it (CDWG) and of the Elixer. How about a V shaped front reminiscent of the scalloped front of the Elixer with neos facing out of each side of the V with a CDWG on each side? Naw, that's nuts! John you and Brian you are driving us NUTS, Can't wait till Friday :drool:

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2006, 04:32 pm »
Let me guess, John...  The "V" isn't just some letter of the alphabet thrown in the name to liven things up.  It is integral to the design.  And if 30 and 40 have to do with number of inches of ribbons in the RM30 and RM40, this thing has 60 inches of ribbon in a V-shaped cabinet.  I'm starting to get some weird mental images. 

Good guesses, but the 30, 40, 60 designations are actually 3 neopanels, 4 neopanels, and 6 neopanels. Oh and the RM2 has 2 neopanels.

There are several construction, perfromance, and design elements to this speaker that are integrated into something very new for Brian and VMPS.

Unique somehow doesn't begin to describe what's to come.

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2006, 04:34 pm »

Uhhhh... Certainly not in the morning.  It's all pretty weird.  Come to think of it, afternoons and evenings are pretty damned weird, too.

I'm pretty nervous that someone is monitoring my website usage and might be watching. 

After watching me glue 60+ sf of foam tiles to the walls, my spousal unit thinks the problem is deeper than mere neurosis.

Padded cells are almost anechoic I've been told. :lol: :lol:

Brian Cheney

« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2006, 05:16 pm »
Warner, as to new Woofage:

how does a 15" subbass with 18 mm of Xmax strike you?

MaxCast

« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2006, 05:57 pm »
Two tall pannels with CDWG and two separate subwoofagers??

PLMONROE

« Reply #11 on: 9 Dec 2006, 06:46 pm »
Lets see, next Friday begins at midnight, so we only have to spend the next 154 hours, 13 minutes, 52 seconds on tenterhooks -- right?

PLMONROE

« Reply #12 on: 9 Dec 2006, 06:57 pm »
SHUCKS -- you are on PST. I have to wait two whole additional hours.  :sad:

John Casler

« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2006, 07:32 pm »
SHUCKS -- you are on PST. I have to wait two whole additional hours.  :sad:

Maybe I can get Brian to let me "share" aforementioned "Confidential Information" to those who have "preordered", under conditions of it remaining "TOP SECRET". aa

PLMONROE

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2006, 07:47 pm »
Yeah, yeah, yeah! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Brian Cheney

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2006, 07:58 pm »
Sorry, no sharing. 

I am considering selling the system without speakers installed for those who just want to add to their classic sculpture collections.

Zheeeem

« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2006, 08:28 pm »
Sorry, no sharing. 

You were probably real popular in your kindergarden.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2006, 08:31 pm »
Teacher liked me but the kids hated me.

PLMONROE

« Reply #18 on: 9 Dec 2006, 11:01 pm »
Oops! Brian just let the cat out of the bag with his "sculpture" comment. I predict the enclosure will be pear tree shaped with a carved partridge on top in honor of its announcement at Christmass tide. :dance:
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2006, 02:04 am by PLMONROE »

warnerwh

« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2006, 05:19 am »
Well the new "Woofage" will be incredible I'm sure. Throughout Brian's history his bass accuracy and power per dollar has been outstanding. I remember back in the eighties both Stereophile and Audio being shocked at the bass quality in the speakers available that they reviewed at that time.

When Brian says this new 15" woofer has an xmax of 18mm that means a new driver design. He wouldn't design it unless it met certain criteria like very low distortion with an excellent transient response. With 18mm of Xmas on a 15" woofer or I should say woofers as it will be a pair the power capability will be enough to have your own earthquake at your house.

That makes me wonder what this entire speaker will be capable of needing a new bad ass woofer to keep up with it.  :scratch: