Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)

owenmd

Re: Antelope Audio Zodiac + (evolving review)
« Reply #160 on: 12 Mar 2011, 08:53 pm »
OK.... really busy this weekend with no time, but couldn't help listening for a few minutes last night with a brand new cold Voltikus.... so all this is premature for me.  Beautiful piece of gear by the way.

Instantly, the first thing I noticed was better transparency with the ability to hear "around" the musicians better.... more 3D.
Bass was now very noticeable, but not out of place.... primarily faster, more tuneful and more extended with better bass detail.... much more "growl" and slam...!  Sounded like bigger bandwidth available and more open.... speakers disappeared even more.

I think the extra transparency probably has come from a much reduced noise floor, but the bass is more than this.... probably more power and bandwidth available to form the notes more accurately.  Overall a bigger fuller sound.

It normally doesn't take me long to find fault somewhere in the spectrum, but what I briefly heard last night, I couldn't fault.... just sounded great.... but give me time!  :lol:  Unfortunately, now I've heard what the Zodiac does with a better PS, I wouldn't be able to go back to a wallwart.   :duh:

All these things are subtle.... but I wouldn't want to be without them.... I wish the magic was more economical...?

Cheers for the weekend.  :thumb:

turbogti

« Reply #161 on: 16 Mar 2011, 02:07 pm »
thanks for the reply owenmd. sounds like the improvements are significant. :thumb: Although my Zodiac+ has been running well over 500hrs on my system (and i like it a lot), I still always wonder how can it sound better with an improved power supply.

Euro 795 is a lot of money, i really hope there are alternatives out there, especially when i'm getting w4s DAC2 for my other setup soon.  :shake: :duh:

jcspinks

« Reply #162 on: 19 Mar 2011, 04:32 pm »
Updates, anyone? Srajen? I'm very interested in further impressions of the Voltikus and any of the Zodiac Gold.

Cheers and thanks,

John

owenmd

« Reply #163 on: 19 Mar 2011, 06:58 pm »
Updates, anyone? Srajen? I'm very interested in further impressions of the Voltikus and any of the Zodiac Gold.

Cheers and thanks,

John

I haven't had much listening time recently, but I will say the addition of the Voltikus is extremely worthwhile in my system.... whether its worth the money is I guess down to the individual, the system and a personal call...?  The build quality is beautiful and its a very solid piece of gear, which helps when trying to justify its price.

I haven't noticed significant change in character with burn in.... probably an increase in transparency and smoother and more relaxed after 50hrs or so.  Some music sounds quite different with the Voltikus.... ahhhh.... so that's what it was meant to sound like?  I think when certain aspects of the presentation are normally skipped over, the overall presentation and feeling of the music is changed when you start to hear all the nooks and crannies in all their glory...?

The "character" of the bass also sounds quite different, and I think its because you can now hear all the inflections and sub-tones involved.... I've certainly noticed subtle underlying bass rift's on music that I've never heard before.

The music generally sounds more powerful and bigger.... its almost like a change to a more powerful amplifier.

All of these comments sound a little bit radical and inflated to me, but this is what I'm hearing.... its all subtle, just so folks know.... but I definitely wouldn't want to not have it anymore.... I've been spoiled, there's no going back.

Cheers for the weekend  :thumb:

Mark

owenmd

« Reply #164 on: 19 Mar 2011, 08:26 pm »
I see Sweetwater's latest advideo on the Zodiac+ uses a gold Voltikus.... in the first scene with Marcel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=108xSM0q8EA&feature=player_embedded#at=81

The video seems to start half way through for me...? Need to rewind to see the start.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #165 on: 19 Mar 2011, 09:06 pm »
I will speak for David (rydenfan) when is say that so far the Teddy Pardo power supply is a bit of a disappointment after the first week.  First, it took over 3 weeks to get to Boston from Israel, and when it showed up it was a surprise (tracking, for the most part, was broken).  Second it does not include the locking collar that the Zodiac uses as a connector, thereby leaving it kinda "hanging" there...a  precarious situation for a power supply that is specifically built for the Zodiac (it is named the Teddy PS Zodiac on his website).  Thirdly, and most importantly, David heard what Mark is hearing on day one...   :)   then everything collapsed a bit.     :o  Since then the sound has been slightly thin, phasey, brittle and a bit aggressive.  When David contacted Mr Pardo via email Teddy mentioned it could take one week to a month to break in.    :(   (Kinda tough for a normally short 14 day trial period, although Teddy gave us a generous 30 day for this one).  I've gone so far as asking David whether the non-locking connector/pins connection could possibly be attached with the wrong electrical phase or something.  David reports that things are improving slightly, but still feels the ps is a slight negative at this point!!  It sells for $350, and Pardo's parts and products are well-received otherwise (although few, if any, report any break in sonic changes).  Weird stuff so far. 

I will likely get David's DAC to re-try (demo'd a Plus several months ago as you know) very soon, as well as the Pardo.  However, I feel that the Paul Hynes and/or BPT power supplies, both headed my way in the next two weeks, will make the Pardo experience an afterthought.  Maybe the Pardo is in disrepair, who knows.    Stay tuned.

gabrielo

« Reply #166 on: 19 Mar 2011, 09:57 pm »
Second it does not include the locking collar that the Zodiac uses as a connector, thereby leaving it kinda "hanging" there...a  precarious situation for a power supply that is specifically built for the Zodiac (it is named the Teddy PS Zodiac on his website).

Hi Ted,

I got the Teddy PSU and it comes with the locking collar (you can see the pictures I uploaded at page 4 of this thread).
Hard to comment on the sonic quality as I didn't compare it with any other PSU (except for the generic PSU which was shipped with the Zodiac+).
As far as I can tell it performs well, maybe the 110V version is different from the 220V version I got

cheers
/gabriel

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #167 on: 19 Mar 2011, 11:57 pm »
Gabriel,
Yeah, I thought it looked like a locking collar (on the Antelope is what I am talking about, not just the ps).  I told David to ping you.
Ted

budt

« Reply #168 on: 20 Mar 2011, 01:22 am »
  So, do you think the Zodiac is the best Dac under 5 grand?
 What do you not like about the sound of it?

owenmd

« Reply #169 on: 20 Mar 2011, 02:07 am »
What do you not like about the sound of it?

With the voltikus.... nothing yet...!  8)

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #170 on: 20 Mar 2011, 03:52 am »
OK.... really busy this weekend with no time, but couldn't help listening for a few minutes last night with a brand new cold Voltikus.... so all this is premature for me.  Beautiful piece of gear by the way.

Instantly, the first thing I noticed was better transparency with the ability to hear "around" the musicians better.... more 3D.
Bass was now very noticeable, but not out of place.... primarily faster, more tuneful and more extended with better bass detail.... much more "growl" and slam...!  Sounded like bigger bandwidth available and more open.... speakers disappeared even more.

I think the extra transparency probably has come from a much reduced noise floor, but the bass is more than this.... probably more power and bandwidth available to form the notes more accurately.  Overall a bigger fuller sound.

It normally doesn't take me long to find fault somewhere in the spectrum, but what I briefly heard last night, I couldn't fault.... just sounded great.... but give me time!  :lol:  Unfortunately, now I've heard what the Zodiac does with a better PS, I wouldn't be able to go back to a wallwart.   :duh:

All these things are subtle.... but I wouldn't want to be without them.... I wish the magic was more economical...?

Cheers for the weekend.  :thumb:

Thank you for these impressions!

Apologize for not getting more in depth on my own impressions (been busy with the new business as well as my day job).  Lets just say my Zodiac+ still holds the title of champion in my eyes and to my ears.  I will be purchasing a second one soon with a Voltikus (for a seperate rig) and will compare to my first Zodiac+/Welborne PSU, stay tuned!

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #171 on: 20 Mar 2011, 03:56 am »
Tigzstudio,
Long time no post!!  Please tell us how the Welborne stacked up against the stock PS?  Did it break in, and what kind of improvements did you notice?  What does the Welborne cost?  Thx  Ted

budt

« Reply #172 on: 20 Mar 2011, 10:31 am »
  I wish they had a more bare bones one geared towards audiophiles.Also something in a bigger chasis with a proper power supply.I just can't get over a $3000 unit with a 5 dollar wallwart power supply.

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #173 on: 20 Mar 2011, 12:26 pm »
Tigzstudio,
Long time no post!!  Please tell us how the Welborne stacked up against the stock PS?  Did it break in, and what kind of improvements did you notice?  What does the Welborne cost?  Thx  Ted

I had similar impressions, but mainly I noticed the improved slam/bass weight and second to that detail seemed to jump out at you a bit more.  I have had the Welborne in so long now (gotten used to it), I bet if I swap back to the walwart I would immediately notice the changes.  I will do this and get back to you. 

In regards to the walwart with a pricier unit, I agree it is a bit fishy.  And once they came out with their own Voltikus power supply it became evident that it may have been a bit of a ploy (to make more $$?).  But the bottom line is their product seriously performs and I can look past the plot and marketing because the unit sounds spectacular.   :thumb: 

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
« Reply #174 on: 20 Mar 2011, 12:54 pm »
Once again I got a completely virgin unit so it's on my bedside table doing the dirty with the equally virgin Schiit Lyr, a Pure i-20 digital-direct dock and my usual Classic iPod with a pair of HifiMan HE-6s. Racking up 500 hours is a royal pain in the arse and I really wish manufacturers had more respect than expecting reviewers to do their dirty work for them (or complain when we don't and report on a raw component that then changes colors like a chameleon some many hundred of hours later).

Anyways, since this isn't a pair of  speakers which you can't burn in without making noise, I'm running it 24/7, into an audible load during the day, into an amp not powered on during the night. It'll still take weeks and Antelope only has themselves to blame. Until then no further comments on sonics from me. It'd be premature and as such a waste  :duh:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #175 on: 20 Mar 2011, 02:54 pm »
Srajan,
Thanks for that.  As I posted (via letter) to you on your 6Moons site, the Antelope Plus made huge strides once you turned yours in, over 400 hrs, and now I'm being told by many folks that 500 and 800 hours are big milestones too.   :o  It's crazy really.

Antelope sells the plus for $2500 retail, and the Gold for $3795.  They will have a basic model that comes in under $1999 next.  I agree that the Gold ought to have had some sort of Volticus-quality stock ps already included, since they clearly know the need to get beyond a simple laptop style switching ps (they are not wallwarts) in that category/level.

Philistine

« Reply #176 on: 21 Mar 2011, 01:54 pm »
  I wish they had a more bare bones one geared towards audiophiles.Also something in a bigger chasis with a proper power supply.I just can't get over a $3000 unit with a 5 dollar wallwart power supply.

The other option to consider is the Burson DAC, it appears they're bringing out a DAC/Buffer in the near future - this could be an interesting option/alternative to the Zodiac.  This is an avenue I'm seriously looking at for my second system, while waiting for the Zodiac/power supply combinations to unfold.
Talking to some of the manufacturers on AC, the shared view is that excellence in the digital domain (which Antelope has a core competence) is only part of the story.  Having a robust approach to the power supply, and a good analog stage, are also critical factors in terms of overall performance.

pis99

« Reply #177 on: 24 Mar 2011, 03:36 am »
Any chance to get a group buy on Zodiac Gold plus Voltikus here at AC? This DAC looks very promising to last couple years without spending big bucks.

turbogti

« Reply #178 on: 24 Mar 2011, 08:45 am »
If the Voltikus is as good as described above, it means it is expensive to produce. Maybe that explains why it is not included with the standard Zodiac+.

I've done some DIYing before, and high quality parts always come with a higher price tag.

gabrielo

« Reply #179 on: 29 Mar 2011, 10:23 am »
Hi Ted,

I got the Teddy PSU and it comes with the locking collar (you can see the pictures I uploaded at page 4 of this thread).
Hard to comment on the sonic quality as I didn't compare it with any other PSU (except for the generic PSU which was shipped with the Zodiac+).
As far as I can tell it performs well, maybe the 110V version is different from the 220V version I got

cheers
/gabriel
I had a chance to compare Zodiac Gold with Voltikus to my Teddy PSU for a short time.
While the differences were not night and day, they were there.
Teddy sound little bit heavy handed compare with the Voltikus.
Unlike the generic PSU coming with the Zodiac+ both PSU had full body, but with Teddy PSU the body felt over pronounced and mid was little too strong.
The Voltikus sound more natural and easy going.

/gabriel
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2011, 11:44 am by gabrielo »