ART DIO (stock) vs. ART DIO with Tube-O-Lator

ABEX

« Reply #100 on: 10 Mar 2003, 01:19 am »
Well I for one am not trying to jump his shit!

I think it  is good to find a discerting view as some will be careful when concidering throwing $$ at something that might not be what they expect as for improvement.Audio is a very expensive and adicting hobby like computing.I cannot see buying things which I will not need when the $$ can be better spent someplace elsewhere ,where the improvement can be more marked or substantial.

If your system is not up to subtle changes and your hearing is impaired then it might be worth putting your $$ someplace other than this tweek.

Geez,I do not like spending $$ on any tweek I can build myself with little time,effort,meterial and cost.

JMO

ABEX

« Reply #101 on: 10 Mar 2003, 01:30 am »
Rob--The point was to be taken literally as to what can happen when reviewers step on a good component .The manf. had asked to come to see what might be the problem and was shutout which with the Stereophile's following can almost destroy a young Co..Which to a large account it did.Even after the article there were bad mentionings of N.E.A.R when being mentioned in the Phile.Very BIASed and unprofessional reporting!

In the case of Nate he had a differing experience.Simple as that.That is not to say it is not a worthwile tweek as some here have attested to by their comments.

I will probably get the tweek when I send mine back to be updated ,but because I think it will slightly enhance my CD playback.I think my system and speakers are sensitive enough to hear a difference,but I will never know if it is marked.  

JMO

nathanm

Shameless plug
« Reply #102 on: 10 Mar 2003, 01:51 am »
FYI you can buy the exact same DIO I heard.  Just check the Trading Post!  Listen to it compared to a stock one and see what you hear.  Tell me I don't know what I'm talking about!  Heck I may sell the stock one too; I can't get my SBLive card to talk to it anyway.  Grrr.

It deserves a home in a more revealing system don't ya think? :wink:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #103 on: 10 Mar 2003, 03:25 am »
hey nate,

i tink yer system is revealing enuff to show whether or not there are any differneces in the tube-o-lator or not.  all except for the di/o itself.   :wink:

as i mentioned before, i tink this kinda tweak would likely be more noticable in a fully modded di/o.  i say this based upon my experiences w/my own di/o, which i modded in stages, as i read the latest-n-greatest stuff on the yahoo diomods site.  

one of my last tweaks was to switch out already-modded holco reisitors w/riken ohms.  the differences were similar to what was discussed re: the tube-o-lator mod here - ever-so-slight smoothing, & ever-so-slight increase in detail.  

one of the sources i used to evaluate my di/o mods is a hawaiian slack-key guitar compilation; of which many of the recordings are wery closely mike'd.  the sounds of the musicians' breath, moving around in their chair, etc, became ever so slightly more apparent, as the mods progressed.  at 1st, w/a stock di/o, it was not really identifiable - yust sounded like analog hiss from the a-to-d transfer.  i am not sure if only adding riken-ohm resistors to a totally stock di/o, would have been able to be discernable, tho it was when *i* did it, as it had already achieved a high state of resolving power...

ymmv,

doug s.

btw, ya owe it to yerself to listen to a modded di/o in yer system - it's a *lot* nicer than the none-too-shabby stock iteration...  try it preferably w/an upgraded p/s, & separate isolation x-formers for dac & transport.  try *any* dac-transport combo w/separate isolation trannies, imo...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #104 on: 10 Mar 2003, 04:14 am »
I know this type of topic can get outta hand, and I sure don't mean to throw gas on the fire.  On one hand the controversy is amusing, but this type of thing happens with too great a degree of regularity.  Can't we all just get along? :P

JohnR, I agree, it's just Nate vs a few AC/HD longtimers.  One can read their opinions and still be free to form ones own.  

Without rehashing the whole last 10 pages, I guess the thing it boils down to is that there are some "sacred cows" that seem to bring down the wrath of the powers-that-be any time someone challenges them.  Granted, being a dick about it also brings down the ire of those products supporters, too! 8)   Being the warped guy I am, I admit to getting a kick out of seeing people get their panties in a twist:  I think baseless assertions should be scrutinized.  Hell, assertions  with some base should be able to survive scrutiny too!

Alright, this post has been pretty interesting, but I can see I won't be of any help as the voice of reason! 8)   I guess I'll just sit and wait for the next time Nathman stirs up trouble! :P

Jay S

« Reply #105 on: 10 Mar 2003, 05:27 am »
The point is NOT that differing opinions is wrong - that is a dangerous and misleading conclusion that would ultimately make this forum less valuable to all of us.

The point is that any review is a data point, not a conclusive fact on the performance of a product.  Just because you don't hear a change doesn't necessarily mean that a product is snake oil and that anyone who hears something is deluded.  At the same time, as Nathan pointed out, just because you do hear a difference doesn't necessarily mean that a product is better or that it will be an improvement in other people's systems.  

I think that if we keep in mind that there are limitations to our ability to make conclusive observations of the performance of a component/tweak and post accordingly then we will all be able to get along more smoothly.  

Cheers,

- Jay

nathanm

Mark's thoughts on the DIO\Tube-O-Lator
« Reply #106 on: 17 Mar 2003, 08:47 pm »
I finally persuaded my EE friend Mark to comment on the DI/O listening test.  Here's what he sent me:

Quote from: MarkV
A couple weeks ago I recieved an email from Nathan showing this stuff called "Tube-o-lator."  I found it so amusing I quickly passed it around to various Electrical Engineers in my group.  We all got a hearty chuckle and life went on.  What surprised me was the number of positive responses to this stuff.  I could not believe it.  Nathan then took the challenge.  He was graciously allowed to test the stuff.  I respect the company for allowing Nathan to run this test.  I expressed that if any difference was actually heard it would be due not to the goop but to some other variable in the system (ie: EMI).  

Well the evening came about that we could run our tests and Nathan swore that we had to follow all the suggestions made on Audiocircle - even though I protested.  To no surprise - the goop - did not pass the blind test.  Steve and Nathan were unable to detect any difference between the two DIO's.  The test from an electrical standpoint followed all of audiocircles suggestions ( minus the change in components ).  I will admit - I lost it - I went on a rant.  

I work in the Industrial controls and communications design business.  I have designed many devices and have had to test those devices for emissions and susceptibility.  The environment in which these devices work in could be considered electrically - an ugly place.  We deal with hundreds to thousands of Amps passing over, around and through our devices. One of my current projects uses a 16 bit High speed AtoD attached to a 150Mips TI DSP.  The DSP is doing Fourier transforms on the incoming signal in order to detect various electrical disturbances in the power waveform.  With no high voltage applied we measure around 1 to 2 bits of noise coming from the AtoD.  Our group has spent a good deal of time getting to this level of noise output.  We have done things like routing our ground planes around our voltage regulators, eliminating long lead lengths, keeping traces as short as possible, eliminating loop areas, isolating digital circuitry from analog circuitry, attaching bypass caps etc.  Now - if we could apply some goop to our chips to get us another bit of resolution, we would buy the company/"patent"/whatever and load it in 55 gallon drums.  Then we would sell it to TI or whomever else needs better resolution.  

I wanted to offer some interesting viewpoints on the DIO.  Now I am by no means an audio engineer - I just know what works from an electrical standpoint.  My first introduction to the DIO was in Nathans room.  He showed me how the sound cut out when he moved around the room and got up and down from a chair (more than likely, static).  We took apart the DIO so I could see what was inside.  The first thing that amazed me was all the through-hole resistors STANDING ON END.  Little antennas sitting on the board.  If you are wierded up about goop then you should also be wierded up about all those loop areas.  And as far as the ESD ( Electro Static Discharge ) - I am amazed at the effort put into the susceptibility portion of the product.  If there is a simple fault like that - what does it say about the sound coming out of it?  Conducted static shots I could understand for this type of device - but the susceptibility through air is kind of strange.  Now I should be careful and point out that I am not sure who is responsible - the DIO or the CD player - but I believe the CD player worked fine without the DIO.  When the DIO entered the equation - the problem arose.

Regarding the Tube-o-lator - The sad fact is that this snake oil is just that.  If you think it makes you feel better in some fashion or another - I am very happy for you.  Hopefully people will make more intelligent decisions on where to spend their money ( ie: better components - not crazy wires/goop ).  And if you continue to spend your money on such things - then at least you do it with the knowledge that what you buy may not provide what was advertised.  Knowledge is power - especially when it comes to us consumers.

Enjoy,

Mark

jcoat007

« Reply #107 on: 17 Mar 2003, 09:10 pm »
I'm guessing that:

a) Nathan manufactured the letter.  (Although the use of the word "Fourier" implies a collaboration with someone else.)

b) No matter how much we all want this thread to die, Nathan finds ways to get it to the top of the list and "a" above was the only thing he could think of

c) Nathan is trying to drive the price of the DI/O down by using his EE "friend" to say how crappy it is made.  After driving the price down he can justify buying another one and the tube-o-lator for the same total outlay as the currently priced DI/O

d) All of the above

ABEX

« Reply #108 on: 17 Mar 2003, 09:57 pm »
Does not surprise me about the EE outcome.People that are not as anal about audio or have not lived with the system under test are not going to notice a diff in alot of cicumstances.Some people say they can hear down to 16Hz.A friend of mine is a radar tech and has better hearing then me on record,but when it comes music and equiptment I am more sensitive then he is.I think as time goes by you can become more observant to changes in systems then other's.I get blown away when I go to some salon's and the people that set them up cannot setup Subs correctly. :lol:

Now that is Nathan's experience and maybe there was not diff in his system and that is fine.All things cannot be measuremented also.

Does your EE friend hear differences in cables?I am not trying to piss him off or doubt his ability ,but there are those who for whatever reason are not as sensitive to changes in audio.Believe it or not some are renouned reviewers.
 :roll:
Just a few thoughts! :wink:

nathanm

« Reply #109 on: 18 Mar 2003, 06:48 am »
How about e) None of the above.  If I wanted to manufacture a post, I guarantee you it would be much funnier than what Mark said!

Quote from: jcoat007
I'm guessing that:

a) Nathan manufactured the letter.  (Although the use of the word "Fourier" implies a collaboration with someone else.)

Boy, I hope you're not implying that I don't know what "Fourier" means! Cause I assure you, I do!  A Fourier is a kind of measuremented.

b) No matter how much we all want this thread to die, Nathan finds ways to get it to the top of the list and "a" above was the only thing he could think of

I am merely following up on what I said I would do earlier in the thread, nothing more.  Granted, with a long delay - but he's been busy with other stuff.

The point is this: if an industry with electrical needs an order of magnitude greater than those in audio thinks such magical lacquer has no benefit then doesn't that doesn't say much for the validity of such a product?  I know this might be shocking, but when it comes to electronics I like to run things by people that actually know this stuff.  To me it's mostly a mystery.  If I am going to spend money on something that's supposed to make my stereo sound better I'd like to know said tweak has some technical merit.  Mark's post is also showing that the treatment is ignoring a larger problem in the unit, which is poor ESD tolerance.  Precisely the reason I asked him about it in the first place.

JohnR

« Reply #110 on: 18 Mar 2003, 08:01 am »
If I wanted to manufacture a post, I guarantee you it would be much funnier than what Mark said!

I'll buy that!  :lol:

Fourier was a French mathematician. He realized that any (well, almost any) periodic waveform can be represented as an infinite sum of sinusoidal waveforms. A Fourier transform is what is used to produce the equivalent (more or less) frequency-domain representation of a signal.

ABEX

« Reply #111 on: 18 Mar 2003, 08:47 am »
To manufacture such a letter seems beyond me.It would be sad and I do not buy that theory. :cry:

I think if anything it might bug him to the point he asked for his friend to make a statement to give validation to what he himself heard and further   prove that his opinion was on the level.

If he stood to gain anything I think he would have reversed his findings.What does he stand to gain from this anyways ,but to align alot of Waynes follower's against him which would not make for a pleasent posting experience.
 :nono:

JMO

nathanm

« Reply #112 on: 18 Mar 2003, 04:05 pm »
Guys, there's no hidden agenda here other than separating fantasy from reality and debunking corny tweaks. It's got nothing to do with Wayne and his "followers", but everything to do with the illogical practice of throwing one's money at things which are most likely incapable of doing what they are advertised to do.  That's all.  The Tube-O-Lator was a very easy target you've gotta admit! :P Go to that webpage and read the claims of what Tube-O-Lator does for ya, it's a hoot.

Believe me, Mark and his pals are far more skeptical about esoteric audiophile tweaks than I am.  I'm just the conduit between the world of hifi magic and of engineering.  All I do is pass this stuff along to those guys and see what happens.

Also, I'm not looking for validation of what I heard.  Mark didn't even listen to the thing, he was doing the switching of gear.  But I did want the opinion of someone who knows electronics.

Allright, I'm done with this topic as I'm sure you'll all be glad to hear. :P I hope someone who works at Applied Research & Technology somehow found this site and is having a healthy gut laugh right now.

audiojerry

« Reply #113 on: 18 Mar 2003, 04:38 pm »
Hey Nathan,
I for one, appreciate your dilligence in trying to separate fact from fiction and reality from fantasy.

I haven't had a chance to folllow this entire thread, but have read the last two pages. You are lucky to have friends with such expertise. I think more clear minds and level heads are needed to keep the snake oil in check.

At the same time, I will not accept everything the EE's state as gospel. I think it's possible that they may look at an audiophile device with a predisposition of skepticism, which in turn may color their personal observations that will lead to conclusions supporting their skepticism. They rely on verifiable and measureable data, and if it can't be measured it cannot exist. Unfortunately, this does not always correspond to what the human ear and brain are capable of.

But I have to admit, when I visited the Tube-o-lator website, it sure raises lots of red flags about authenticity.
I love the phrase, "overtone spectrum". What in the hell is that? Is that for real?

ABEX

« Reply #114 on: 18 Mar 2003, 04:44 pm »
Well there are other's that say similar tweeks work for whatever reasons.

One is putting Superglue on a chip.

http://www.audiotweaks.com/tweaks/tweak_255.htm

Thats not to say there is any validity in the tweek.

ABEX

« Reply #115 on: 18 Mar 2003, 04:48 pm »
"overtone spectrum"

When you are listening to music yell at the top of your lungs and maybe that is Overtone Spectrum! :lol:

jcoat007

« Reply #116 on: 18 Mar 2003, 05:15 pm »
To manufacture such a letter seems beyond me.It would be sad and I do not buy that theory.  

I think if anything it might bug him to the point he asked for his friend to make a statement to give validation to what he himself heard and further prove that his opinion was on the level.

If he stood to gain anything I think he would have reversed his findings.What does he stand to gain from this anyways ,but to align alot of Waynes follower's against him which would not make for a pleasent posting experience.

JMO

Guys, Guys, Guys

I WAS KIDDING.  MY POST WAS A JOKE.

If I wanted to manufacture a post, I guarantee you it would be much funnier than what Mark said!

No question about that.  If there's one thing about Nathans posts, it's that they are much funnier than that one.

ABEX

« Reply #117 on: 18 Mar 2003, 06:40 pm »
Alrighty! 8)