Looking for input on design cosmetics!

Kevin Haskins

Re: Looking for input on design cosmetics!
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jan 2009, 01:45 am »
I was just looking at the Virtue Audio website where woods and colors can be mixed and matched.  I think this is a cool idea, but it I could see how a stockpile of less-popular colors or wood options might increase the cost.  At the same time, the more popular colors and options might have a waiting list.  I guess it's easy to see the appeal of a Henry Ford "any color as long as it's black" approach.

This is a fun topic to think about.

It is cute.   There is real value in the "any color as long as it's black" approach when you have to order and stock 1000 units to do it.   My first run of speakers are going to follow that rule simply because I don't have the space for another 60 pallets of speakers in cherry, 60 pallets in maple, and 60 pallets in piano black.    That just doesn't work if you want to keep low overhead.   

For the amplifiers it is a little different because I'm going to be doing the chassis work in-house.   I don't have to order 60 pallets of each flavor.    Lead times may be a little longer but I could conceivably do a couple different flavors without too much trouble.   

Speakers are going to be painted a lacquer anthracite which is a very dark gray.     

hayden

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jan 2009, 06:06 am »
Kevin,

How can we get you some ideas if we know nothing about CAD designing?  I don't know if my "art" skills are good enough to render the sketches.

Jim

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #22 on: 17 Jan 2009, 12:13 am »
Kevin,

How can we get you some ideas if we know nothing about CAD designing?  I don't know if my "art" skills are good enough to render the sketches.

Jim

Oh... I was thinking mainly of pointing out designs that you like in commercial products.    I wouldn't expect anyone to go to trouble of doing CAD work.    I'm in the general idea stage so I don't need concrete drawings.   I need general recommendations of products or furniture that you think looks good.

dyohn

• the12volt.com
« Reply #23 on: 17 Jan 2009, 12:45 am »
Kevin, check out the lines on the Event Audio Phobos loudspeaker.  http://www.eventusaudiousa.com/  Something there that might inspire you.

How about borrowing some of their lines and design yours using veneered MDF enclosure with an aluminum front baffle that rolls across the top?

hayden

« Reply #24 on: 17 Jan 2009, 03:42 am »
My thoughts on the amps were that you use a case similar to the DVDO Edge processor (modified of course).  I've also always liked the rounded "organic industrial" look of the Classe amps.  These designs are both simple and solid, yet have a distinctive elegance.

Jim

AK

• twisterspeakers
« Reply #25 on: 17 Jan 2009, 04:11 am »
I like UV meters, like in McIntosh amps.
whole front bezel could be made as giant UV meter with elegant letters, arrow and soft glow.

stereocilia

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jan 2009, 06:17 pm »
I like the look of analog meters, too.  Long ago I had a Nikko Alpha amp with big analog meters.  However, I think meters become cheesy decorations when there are no numbers on them which correspond to the output.

gblentz

« Reply #27 on: 27 Jan 2009, 08:52 am »
I wouldn't expect anyone to go to trouble of doing CAD work.    I'm in the general idea stage so I don't need concrete drawings.

Oh, pffffttttt!!  Now you tell me.  (I suppose if I'd read the whole thread first....   :duh:)

Well fine, Kevin, here you go anyway:

Note how the curve on the right follows the sine wave in the logo.

Anyway, let me know when it's ready.  :wink:

Gregg

[edit]

It's not real obvious here, but the metal is raised from the wood by, oh, say 3/8" or so.  A hidden groove on the bottom of it, along the length of the curve, would be a great place to tuck a light pipe to cast a very classy glow onto the wood.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2009, 07:46 pm by gblentz »

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #28 on: 28 Jan 2009, 06:00 pm »
I wouldn't expect anyone to go to trouble of doing CAD work.    I'm in the general idea stage so I don't need concrete drawings.

Oh, pffffttttt!!  Now you tell me.  (I suppose if I'd read the whole thread first....   :duh:)

Well fine, Kevin, here you go anyway:

Note how the curve on the right follows the sine wave in the logo.

Anyway, let me know when it's ready.  :wink:

Gregg

[edit]

It's not real obvious here, but the metal is raised from the wood by, oh, say 3/8" or so.  A hidden groove on the bottom of it, along the length of the curve, would be a great place to tuck a light pipe to cast a very classy glow onto the wood.

Wow Greg!   You get the prize!    I like the display idea although those things in small quantities are expensive.   The display cost as much as the rest of the enclosure for the really good ones.   The programming time is another factor.     The buttons require some tooling cost but not much.    Some of the design choices are fixed by the scale of my operation.   What is feasible for Sony isn't necessarily feasible for Exodus Audio.   

gblentz

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jan 2009, 03:25 pm »
Wow Greg!   You get the prize!    I like the display idea although those things in small quantities are expensive.   The display cost as much as the rest of the enclosure for the really good ones.   The programming time is another factor.     The buttons require some tooling cost but not much.    Some of the design choices are fixed by the scale of my operation.   What is feasible for Sony isn't necessarily feasible for Exodus Audio.   

Thanks Kevin!  I'd started reading what you were looking for in the thread and had this very vivid design concept take over my brain.  This was just my getting it out so I could move on to something else.  :wink:  (I actually thought afterwards of a thin strip mirroring the right curve to form an "X" like other Exodus products.)

Oh, yeah, the display would require a bit to implement.  I only went with it because, a) it has futuristic "Wow," and b) I was too lazy and out of ideas to work up a proper controls layout.  I'd actually prefer just an iPod-like touch display, but thought that that looked too spartan, so I added the buttons.

Anyway, it was a fun little Photoshop diversion.  Hope it gives you some ideas anyway.   :)

Mossback

« Reply #30 on: 4 Feb 2009, 01:12 pm »
Kevin, are you thinking to keep the “box” more or less as it is just adding a distinctive face?
Maybe you could use aluminum extrusion thus cutting down on machining time and waste. Is your milling center five axis? What is the working RPM, do you have a high speed spindle? What size bed?
There is a place in Kent that stocks rejected aerospace material. Nothing wrong with it other than it can't fly. If you found an interesting extruded stick of a neat shape you could play around with some designs. I’m thinking of stock that is fairly thick with an ear or asymmetrical legs that could be milled into something interesting. You need to consider stock that would not require extensive tooling.
What if you were to use some carbon fiber appliqué to the box or face? See DragonPlate Veneer here…
http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/categories.asp?cID=12#
I have a project in work using it. Pannel express could cut it for you. Not sure if you want to mill it yourself.
Regards Dan