Exodus Tower Speaker

Aaron Gilbert

Re: Exodus Tower Speaker
« Reply #20 on: 9 Dec 2008, 09:18 am »
Kevin,

That looks and sounds like a winner to me! It reminds me of my own speakers, except with one additional woofer. :) It's also nice to see somebody actually concerned about in-room response, rather than just trying to go flat to as low as possible, ignoring typical room gain. I look forward to seeing and hearing these at some point in the future.

Cheers!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #21 on: 24 Dec 2008, 01:15 am »
Here is the final gambit of speakers that will be in the Exodus Linup.

Monitor (passive crossover needs external amp)

Center (passive crossover needs external amp)

Powered Sub Module as monitor stand: (Subwoofer includes amp to power monitor)

Powered Sub Module with LCR Center: (Subwoofer includes amp to power LCR)

Powered Sub Module with Center: (Subwoofer includes amp to power center)

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #22 on: 24 Dec 2008, 01:47 am »
And here is the current midwoofer.    We moved to a convex dust cap, played with the suspension some more so that the 30% rise on the Kms curve better matches the 30% down point on the BL curve and softened the suspension to better optimize it for our enclosure.    Progress is slow but steady.   

Kevin Haskins

klh

« Reply #24 on: 27 Dec 2008, 02:41 am »
Very nice! How tall is the sub/center combo? That particular combo looks a bit odd, but otherwise they look fantastic :D. Can't wait for the final product. Hopefully it will be ready for RMAF this year.

kfr01

« Reply #25 on: 27 Dec 2008, 04:46 am »
Very interested in learning more about these speakers.  Thanks for the updates!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #26 on: 27 Dec 2008, 06:33 pm »
Very nice! How tall is the sub/center combo? That particular combo looks a bit odd, but otherwise they look fantastic :D. Can't wait for the final product. Hopefully it will be ready for RMAF this year.

Yea... I agree.   I designed them all to have good lines when placed vertically on top of the sub module but the standard center placement of the same speaker doesn't look as elegant.    It is about 34" to the top of the enclosure when it is placed on a sub module.

The acoustical reasoning for this approach is to have a true distributed subwoofer setup.   At least in the bandwidth where room issues cause significant irregularities the distributed subs really improve frequency response issues and you get much better optimization of the room response for all listening positions.  I'd say it's better than you can achieve with PEQ & equalization of a single unit.

I also have complete control over the crossover between the sub and the main speaker, giving much better results than a generic 80Hz LP/HP filter combination you either see used in receivers for HT applications and better results than a generic plate amplifier with a simple variable filter.   From 25Hz & up you have simply staggering amounts of in-room output with an array of these in a multichannel setup. 

I'm still planning a dedicated subwoofer for HT applications.   Everyone needs a Maelstrom-X, with a couple PRs to reach down into the teens to get that last bit of bandwidth that a speaker this size just isn't capable of achieving.