Push-pull sonotube vs. dual sonotubes

elves1111

Push-pull sonotube vs. dual sonotubes
« on: 30 Oct 2008, 03:36 pm »
I am just getting started with speaker building, so my knowledge on the subject is limited for now. I am planning on getting two 18" maelstrom-x subs from diycable. What i can't decide on is if I should build one huge push-pull sonosub, utilizing both subs in one tube. Or if i should build two separate tubes for the subs.
I really like the idea of the push-pull inspired by this site..

http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/subs/subs.html (don't know if this is how to attach a link)

I will most likely be getting two more subs later one, but for now, does anyone know which of the two will produce better SQL?

Kevin Haskins

• http://www.diycable.com
Re: Push-pull sonotube vs. dual sonotubes
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2008, 05:20 pm »
Thanks for the link, that is pretty cool.   

If you are just getting started, I'd really recommend keeping the project simple.   You can do push-pull arrangements in a box or a tube.   The advantage is the vibration cancellation. 

I'd build something sealed because you are going to have PLENTY of output.   There really is no need for porting it.   I'd aim for a fairly large enclosure and I'd plan on budgeting for PEQ & room measurement capability.    That gives you a lot of flexibily in design and placement and you can experiment with what works best for your room.

elves1111

Re: Push-pull sonotube vs. dual sonotubes
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2008, 10:03 pm »
Thanks!   So do you think your maelstroms would do better in a setup like in the link, or two individual tubes (either way, i will build it sealed).    I like the idea of the push-pull to eliminate vibrations, but do you think there would be that much more noticable output with two tubes versus the one? Also, would the two separate tubes have a noticable difference in vibration/distortion versus the other?

can't wait for some serious BASS!!!!