4th of July Maelstrom-X Sale!

Kevin Haskins

4th of July Maelstrom-X Sale!
« on: 3 Jul 2008, 08:47 pm »
I'm starting to sound like the carpet salesman on TV.   

This weekend only, to celebrate our separation from that evil empire.   This sale ends when I come back in the office Monday morning. 

$325 plus free shipping in the lower 48 states.   The only way to score is to use the shopping cart & web site.   The free shipping is ONLY available if you use the shopping cart and if you do so over the weekend.   The shopping cart is not able to calculate free shipping so I'll adjust your order on checkout.

Happy Independence Day!

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=681

chrismercurio

Re: 4th of July Maelstrom-X Sale!
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2008, 08:50 pm »
Kevin,

Since you are in WA, I had a difficult time deciding if you meant Great Britain or Microsoft.

Best,

Chris

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2008, 09:05 pm »
I want one but i have no idea what i would  do with it. It certainly looks impressive :thumb: I would have to super glue my teeth back in after an hours exposure to that thing :lol:

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2008, 09:11 pm »
Kevin,

Since you are in WA, I had a difficult time deciding if you meant Great Britain or Microsoft.

Best,

Chris

I still have yet to remove the evil influence of Microsoft.   I'm running XP on all my machines.   I don't know how many hours of my life have been consumed by watching Windows reboot but it HAS to be worse than the Stamp Tax. 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2008, 09:14 pm »
I want one but i have no idea what i would  do with it. It certainly looks impressive :thumb: I would have to super glue my teeth back in after an hours exposure to that thing :lol:

Naaa.... I hate nasty boomy subs.   This little guy goes in small sealed enclosures and the response curve is perfect for 2-channel use in about 4 cubic feet sealed.     The inductance is very low and it is very musical.   

chrismercurio

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2008, 09:14 pm »
I think I need to replace the 23W Scan Speak woofers that bottom out all the time at my house. They sound great but aren't for any kind of SPL. The wife isn't going to like the BIG boxes but I'm going to love the bass in movies and classical music.

Chris

p.s. I agree about MS. Amazing how bad the product can be yet we all suit up and show up to torture ourselves with the latest and not so greatest.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2008, 01:07 am »
I think I need to replace the 23W Scan Speak woofers that bottom out all the time at my house. They sound great but aren't for any kind of SPL. The wife isn't going to like the BIG boxes but I'm going to love the bass in movies and classical music.

Chris

p.s. I agree about MS. Amazing how bad the product can be yet we all suit up and show up to torture ourselves with the latest and not so greatest.

Those look like good drivers but to get the first octave, you just need more cone area than that.    You need five of those to equal the cone area of the Maelstrom.    The other factor is excursion capability.   At 13mm those will be complaining as you run out of suspension.   The Maelstrom-X is positively loafing at 13mm each way.    It has almost no suspension noise at 20mm P-P and it still pretty comfortable running out to 50mm peak-peak.    At 60mm peak-peak it is reaching it's limits but that is a tremendous amount of swept volume.

NEO Dan

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2008, 04:41 am »
Kevin,
Thanks for the amazing deal.  :drool:

Here is a link to my build

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1018171

I'm sure I'll have all the bass my room can handle aa

noah katz

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2008, 07:08 pm »
Kevin,

What's the knocking sound in the Maelstrom-X video? I'm pretty sure it's not distortion in my headphones.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2008, 07:18 pm »
It is the saw-horse jumping around. 

Or... in parts of it I'm overdriving the suspension.  I don't know exactly which knocking sound you are talking about.    The surround is the culprit here with the tap-tap-tap noise being the driver hitting the limits of the surround.   On an 18" driver it doesn't LOOK as impressive as it does on the smaller form-factors.   Smaller drivers look like they have more travel but it is an optical illusion.   

If you run any driver out near it's limits they start complaining.   The Maelstrom actually is pretty good as far as self-noise is concerned. 

TerryO

« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2008, 07:29 pm »
It is the saw-horse jumping around. 

Kevin's training for the rodeo circuit, but he's allergic to Bull- S**t!
Hats off to a guy that can combine two vastly different pursuits!

Best Regards,
TerryO

chrismercurio

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul 2008, 03:25 am »
Kevin,

I had a problem with the shopping cart. I sent you a PM.

Chris

Rightbrained

« Reply #12 on: 6 Jul 2008, 08:54 pm »
 Kevin ,
  I just placed my order through the shopping cart but did not get the free shipping.

chrismercurio

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jul 2008, 09:44 pm »
The shopping cart is not able to calculate free shipping so I'll adjust your order on checkout.

Happy Independence Day!

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?products_id=681

I think he needs to do it manually. I ordered 2.

Chris

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #14 on: 6 Jul 2008, 10:18 pm »
So tomorrow morning this deal won't be good anymore?  I'd like to buy one, but would need to wait until Tuesday to place the order.

Rightbrained

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jul 2008, 10:33 pm »
 Yeah I wasnt too worried , I figured he could take care of it when he got in tomorrow morning. 
 Got an EP2500 on the way too , cant wait to try these out. :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #16 on: 6 Jul 2008, 11:06 pm »
So tomorrow morning this deal won't be good anymore?  I'd like to buy one, but would need to wait until Tuesday to place the order.

You can always try sweet talking Kevin into extending the sale or doing something special for you, but short of that, Kevin clearly stated the following:

This weekend only, to celebrate our separation from that evil empire.   This sale ends when I come back in the office Monday morning.

George

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #17 on: 6 Jul 2008, 11:08 pm »
Yea, I'm really getting tired of my bank putting a 5 day hold on everything I deposit ...

NEO Dan

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jul 2008, 01:34 pm »
Kevin,
I see you got an early start :D
You must have sold plenty of the Maelstrom-X

Thanks for the great deal  :D

EDIT:
I see everything else is still on sale, did we clean you out of Maelstrom-X?

Maybe you need to do it up like QVC, with the reverse counter and all.
You know, first 100 get the deal kind of thing.

Edit #2
OK,
well now it looks like there is a "window of opportunity" y'all better get in where you fit in ;)
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2008, 04:54 pm by NEO Dan »

Rightbrained

« Reply #19 on: 7 Jul 2008, 08:24 pm »
yay , Kevin just got mine shipped out  :dance: