Latest Amplifier Builds

Kevin Haskins

Re: Latest Amplifier Builds
« Reply #20 on: 3 Aug 2006, 06:06 pm »
Sweetness Kevin!  Put aside a 5-ch 400AD setup for me now please, I'll call you soon to firm up details.  If this goes well, you can expect mucho free publicity and a long review from me, since when I'm happy, I tend to write voluminously.  :-)

Is the PDF manual available for download yet?

I have that .999% hesitancy still in putting together myself, though I think it's a challenge I'm up to.

Stupid noob question: Im not going to shock myself installing things if I don't plug in the power until the last minute, right?  (I.E. the caps won't be charged out of the box, right?)

Best,
Adam

Still working on documents.... building it is not that difficult.   The caps won't be charged until you power it up.   After you power down they take about 10-15 mintues to completely discharge when not connected to the UCD module.   It is easy to test their state of charge with a VM and make a little jumper with aligator clips and a resistor to drain them during construction.    I'll have details in the directions.    It is pretty hard to screw up the build if you take your time and read the directions.   

Voodoo Rufus

« Reply #21 on: 4 Aug 2006, 12:22 pm »
So the chassis' will be available with the kits?

And here I thought the kit thing was dead...

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #22 on: 4 Aug 2006, 03:26 pm »
So the chassis' will be available with the kits?

And here I thought the kit thing was dead...

Nope.... just the opposite.   I decided they where easy enough to build that a kit made a lot of sense.

Frihed91

« Reply #23 on: 4 Aug 2006, 04:28 pm »
It looks like you know a lot about manufacturing.  Some never do.

Can I ask what the power out of the various models is?

Will the information on the kits be on your DIY site?  (That's a thing of beauty, too, by the way).

Frihed91

I figured it out form your site
« Reply #24 on: 5 Aug 2006, 08:15 am »
Hard to believe it could be so easy...look so easy. I am sure it is not all that simple.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #25 on: 5 Aug 2006, 09:38 pm »
It looks like you know a lot about manufacturing.  Some never do.

Can I ask what the power out of the various models is?

Will the information on the kits be on your DIY site?  (That's a thing of beauty, too, by the way).

Yes... the best reference is the UCD180 & UCD400 datasheets that you can download on my site.   They show power, distortion measurements and give pretty good overall details on the specifications and features.

I don't see the purpose in repeating the same data that is on the Hypex data sheet so I'll keep those listed and links to them when the kit goes live.

Thanks for the compliment.... I think they look good but everyone has different taste.  :-)

Frihed91

« Reply #26 on: 5 Aug 2006, 09:48 pm »
Thanka.  I figured all this out from your site.  Generally web sites confuse me.  Yours educated me.  I can't believe this modularity.  I wonder is it the Class D aspect that makes this possible?

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #27 on: 8 Aug 2006, 12:20 am »
Thanka.  I figured all this out from your site.  Generally web sites confuse me.  Yours educated me.  I can't believe this modularity.  I wonder is it the Class D aspect that makes this possible?

The modularity isn't so much a function of Class D.   It is more a function of how Hypex designed the units and how we designed the power supply/chassis.

JonnyOzero3

« Reply #28 on: 9 Aug 2006, 05:29 pm »
The UCD400AD adds $35 per channel.   One other option with the UCD400 is that I'll wire the opamp buffer for use with the 12V regulated power supply for $35 per module.   This is not an option with the UCD180s.

I'm a novice interested in this DIY amp thing.  Could someone enlighten me as to what wiring the opamp buffer to the 12V regulated power supply does?  Thanks....

And btw Kevin, very nice looking amp setup.  I'm definitely going to be interested in a kit when I'm ready to upgrade.  Looks like a lot of fun too.   

:)

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #29 on: 9 Aug 2006, 09:02 pm »
The UCD400AD adds $35 per channel.   One other option with the UCD400 is that I'll wire the opamp buffer for use with the 12V regulated power supply for $35 per module.   This is not an option with the UCD180s.

I'm a novice interested in this DIY amp thing.  Could someone enlighten me as to what wiring the opamp buffer to the 12V regulated power supply does?  Thanks....

And btw Kevin, very nice looking amp setup.  I'm definitely going to be interested in a kit when I'm ready to upgrade.  Looks like a lot of fun too.   

:)

It powers the opamp with its own low-noise regulated power supply.   It might marginally improve sound quality and there is really no reason not to use it (just takes a little extra labor) because the low-noise regulated supply is already on our Exodus MCH Supply and the Hypex HG Supply.

Thanks.... I like building them too...

Harmon

« Reply #30 on: 10 Aug 2006, 12:23 am »
Nice looking amp Kevin. What kind of skills does it take to install the op-amp, just some soldering of wire to op-amp, etc.?  Thanks

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #31 on: 10 Aug 2006, 01:16 am »
It is a simple modification on the UCD400s.   The voltage regulators are a simple to work on TO-220 package.   The UCD180s are more of a challange.   They are a surface mount voltage regulator and you have to have better PCB soldering skills.   

UCD 180 Buffer Supply

UCD 400 Buffer Supply

JonnyOzero3

« Reply #32 on: 10 Aug 2006, 03:13 am »
Thanks for the info!

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #33 on: 16 Aug 2006, 11:23 pm »
Just a quick update.   I'm a few days behind on getting the web development & docs done.   My neighbor flooded part of my warehouse and I spent a couple days last week moving stuff and drying out cardboard boxes.   I'm also doing some accounting tax stuff so my time has been short.

I DO have all parts for the Hypex/Exodus kits to be released.   Right now it is just a matter of finishing the documentation & web development.   I hope to go live with them on the web site by Friday.

Brandon B

« Reply #34 on: 17 Aug 2006, 11:19 pm »
As the owner of the 4ch UcD180 amp in the pictures, thought I'd chime in with some positive feedback on the unit.

I bought this as a side and rear surround channel amp for an in-progress 7.1 system to supplement an Odyssey Stratos 3 channel amp.  Right now the system is two Maggie 1.6QRs and a pair of MGMC1's, to which I am soon adding a CC3 and either another pair of MGMC1's or a pair of MMG's, undecided at the moment.

Obviously, though, I had the need to try it out on 2 channel running the 1.6s before relegating it to surround work.

Mistake.  Now I am figuring out how to swing 3 more channels of UcD power for the front 3.

I have had the Stratos for about 4 years now, and have been running a pair of MMG's up until Memorial day, when I got the 1.6's. It's the standard Stratos with the cap upgrade.  Always been completely happy with it.  I didn't know whether to expect any difference, but was really just hoping the Exodus UcD amp would be a close enough match performance wise to blend in with the system.

After finally getting the thing into my rack last weekend, I spent several hours switching back and forth between the two.  The only other change in the system was a pair of outlaw PCA ICs go to the Odyssey, while I used homemade Canare starquad L-4E6S ICs with Canare RCAs on one end and Kevin's XLR's on the other.  I would not expect either of these cables to have a signficant effect on the system (both the same length), but factor that in to your opinion.

Anyway, I listed to Nickel Creek on 2 ch SACD  through most of the album a couple of times at varying volume levels with each amp.  With the Exodus, the high end was cleaner, losing a sibilance in vocals, percussion and the like that I had not really been aware of before.  The sound seemed a bit more dynamic to me as well.  The difference was not huge, but it was enough added enjoyment of the sound for me to start plotting another purchase.

Things to consider:

My system is not the most revealing, Sony SCD 555ES SACD player, Outlaw 950 (analog bypass used), but I have a balanced power unit and really low noise floor,  my room is set up decently (good placement on the speakers, thick wool rug).

Stratos was switched off briefly when switching amps.  Klaus is pretty adamant that the amp needs to be warmed up to sound its best.  But I have not noticed a difference in the few days since hooking back up to the Stratos.

Stratos is 260W into the 4 ohm load of the 1.6's, while the UcD is 180.

Anyway, I am absolutely and completely pleased with the purchase.  Build quality is great.  Kevin is (as you probably can already tell) extremely easy and pleasant to deal with.  The amp was triple (!) boxed so the UPS chain of destruction could not have their way with it.

Also, I of course popped the thing open to check out the innards, and have to compliment the well thought out layout and design of Kevin's modular system as well.  I deal with manufactured control boxes and such quite frequently and think his design is very good.  Building this from a kit would seem to be very straight forward for all but the most large thumbed.  I will probably build my next one myself, just knew at this point my long tradition of unfinished projects would have meant this would not have happened this summer if I'd gone that route.

Anyway, nothing but positive feelings here.

BB

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #35 on: 18 Aug 2006, 02:45 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Brandon.   I'm rather disappointed that you thought we would only be good enough for the surrounds!   :wink:

Brandon B

« Reply #36 on: 20 Aug 2006, 12:36 am »
Although I assume you are kidding, it wasn't that I thought it wouldn't be good enough, it's that I needed a surround amp immediately, as my alesis RA100's were clipping trying to drive Maggie MGMC1's and keep up with the Stratos.  I kind of figured I might end up wanting more UcD amplification in the front too.

BB

kfr01

« Reply #37 on: 20 Aug 2006, 01:17 am »
Although I assume you are kidding

I think that's a pretty safe assumption.  :-) Kevin's one of the more easy-going people I've encountered in this hobby...

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #38 on: 20 Aug 2006, 02:49 am »
Although I assume you are kidding, it wasn't that I thought it wouldn't be good enough, it's that I needed a surround amp immediately, as my alesis RA100's were clipping trying to drive Maggie MGMC1's and keep up with the Stratos.  I kind of figured I might end up wanting more UcD amplification in the front too.

BB

Yes, I'm kidding.   :D   

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #39 on: 20 Aug 2006, 02:54 am »
Although I assume you are kidding

I think that's a pretty safe assumption.  :-) Kevin's one of the more easy-going people I've encountered in this hobby...

You haven't seen my dark side.  :icon_twisted: