Pioneer PL-707 question

henrylr

Pioneer PL-707 question
« on: 25 Aug 2023, 11:31 pm »
So I bought a Pioneer PL-707 and it arrived today. It looks and sounds very good even with a used ADC QLM mklll cartridge. I put it together, leveled it and set tracking and anti skate. I also checked cart alignment with a Pioneer PL-707 arc protractor and it was good. I put an LP on it, plugged it in and started it in auto mode and everything worked perfectly. I didn't connect it to my preamp because I first wanted to see if it would work for a couple of hours. Now I have this question. I was surprised that I could clearly hear Hubert Laws playing flute from about three feet away. When I got within a foot with the dust cover open, I could hear Laws and the rest of his group. I know this LP very well and it sounded great even at a low volume. Is that normal?

henrylr

Re: Pioneer PL-707 question
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2023, 12:00 am »
I replaced the ADC QLM cart with a very good condition Grado Prestige Blue cart and the sound was still clear but much quieter. The Grado is 5.0mV and the ADC is 7.6vM. would the difference be due to the difference in vM output

henrylr

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2023, 11:06 pm »

I set up the 707 with a Creek phono preamp connected to an Aragon 18K mk2 for testing.  I just wanted to feel comfortable that it is in mechanically good condition before I put it in the closet with the Audible Illusions M3A system. So, I've played it for two days and love the sound. However, one thing seemed unusual. When leveling it, I put my high precision level on the platter and got it spot on, then rotated the platter and it was off at 180, 270 and zero. I put a precision straight edge on the platter surface and there is a slight dishing. I played with the feet and it is now level at all positions. I expected the platter surface to be dead flat. FYi, I know what flat is. I have a small machine shop with a granite surface plate that is calibrated as flat within .00005, and was an approved vendor.

henrylr

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2023, 08:56 pm »
I'm stunned by the sound coming from the 707. It is night and day compared to the Dual. The Charles Lloyd in the Soviet Union LP sounds great. And I expect better sound when it is playing through the Audible Illusions M3A. And an AT MV540MVL is on order.

AllanS

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2023, 12:58 am »
Maybe I need to give mine another audition. I bought it new in ‘83 or ‘84 but didn’t use it much after life got busy in the early 90’s.
I had a Grado cartridge installed about 10 years ago then added an Emotiva XPS1 preamp a few years ago about the same time I started streaming.  Since then I’ve been pretty dissatisfied with how it sounded and removed it from the system when I reconfigured the room and replaced replaced all the gear last year.
Lately I’ve been wondering if my dissatisfaction is more related to the crappy vinyl collection and being exposed to a steady stream of compressed stuff that’s completely skewed my senses.
Anyway, it’s not going anywhere but I’m not sure I’ll put any effort into getting it sorted till I have the rest of the system and room sorted out.
Enjoy your “new” toy!

henrylr

« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2023, 01:22 am »
I will tell you this. About 20 years ago I bought what was consider a very good LP cleaning fluid. I cleaned all my LPs, rinsed them with distilled water and let them dry. I also bought anti-static LP sleeves and they have been in the sleeves in the jackets for years. I took a few out and they sound great on the Pioneer PL-707.

henrylr

« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2023, 01:28 am »
When I took them out to play on the PL-707 I put them on the platter, shot them with my Zerostat and the used my audioquest anti-static record cleaner. The result was great.

henrylr

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2023, 01:11 am »
One thing I did that I believe improved the sound of my system is I made interconnects using Ohno cast silver wire. PTFE tubing, Eichman Bullets, and silver solder. They are very short, just long enough to reach the components. Most are 9" to 12" long.

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2023, 11:04 am »
Hi,

I'd love to see a photo of your new (vintage) turntable.

I have a technics sl1200g and I have invested quite  a lot of money in my vinyl over recent years. I use an Ambrosia preamplifier and I had the phono stage installed as an option. I've found that a good quality direct drive turntable provides really good base response in comparison to belt drives such as rega, project etc.  Also, a good quality phono stage is a must and also good vinyl. I buy either remastered or mofi vinyl these days.I have some good recordings from the 1980's which also sound great as well.

Cheers Rod

henrylr

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2023, 05:54 pm »
Pics of my Pioneer PL-707.