I love Song3-A

rowdyrobot

I love Song3-A
« on: 7 Jan 2023, 06:26 pm »
Hello everyone. I wanted to share my impressions of the Song3-A. My new pair arrived a month ago and I’ve listened daily. I love them. Why?

Background
I’ve been an avid music listener forever. I started exploring experimental jazz/rock/classical/noise two decades ago and ever since have stayed near this path and far from pop music / the radio. (I shared a long list of artists I like on my Systems profile). I mention this because I may be listening for different details in music than you. Regardless, it’s all about the music and the stereo itself is just a means to an end.

The Song3-A replaced my 23 year old Definitive BP-6 bipolar speakers, the only pair I’ve owned prior. They brought me thousands of hours of joy. I bought them in high school at a fine stereo shop in Flint, MI (Front Row Center Stereo). This is also where I got my first taste of what a high-end stereo could really do. Back then their showroom had B&W Nautilus and Wilson speakers, and they let me and my buddies play our fusion jazz CDs. I distinctly remember that addictive, magical feeling of the sounds they produced - especially the Wilsons: clarity, nuance, beauty, separation of sound and instruments. Wow!Maybe someday…

The Speakers
Fast forward to “maybe someday” could be here. Luckily my friend had heard of Salk. After reading reviews and forums, but not being able to listen first, I took the plunge. My simple goal was to buy the best speaker I could afford and gamble a bit (other system components a distant second in the budget). My aim was a high ceiling speaker. I originally ordered the Song3 but switched to 3-A for an assumed higher ceiling in the midrange.

Visually, the Song3-A speakers are beautiful. I chose a standard Satin Black to match my amp/pre/cd player housed in a large cherry cabinet with tv, and to maximize my bang-for-the-buck on sound quality. I love the look of Jim’s veneers. The craftsmanship and finish on Satin Black is already outstanding though. Seamless, solid construction. I’m thoroughly impressed.

From day 1, I’ve been blown away by the sound of these speakers. They are MONSTERS at imaging, producing detailed textures, accuracy and neutrality. Note I’m using a newly purchased VTV Purifi 1ET400A amp (it sounds great IMO) with a Parasound Halo P5 pre and Marantz CD player strictly as a transport. The system is a cold-hearted beast. It mirrors whatever you feed it. The weakness of bad recordings comes out, but I already knew it was there and still enjoy listening. Good recordings sound super. Great recordings sound magical, like I knew they could. Massive upgrade over my Definitives. There is something extra special about the textures these speakers produce in the mids and highs of dissonant strings, synthesizers, soaring and droning violins (Katsui Yuji with Rovo!), vocals, acoustic strings and percussion, and electro-acoustic / electronic music. The sound stage is immersive. Listening is addictive again. I feel I achieved that level of sound seared into my memory so long ago of the Wilsons! The first thing I listened to was a longtime favorite - Flim & The BB’s, Tricycle, and I’ve been running the full gamut of my CDs through laptop-era Merzbow. It all sounds awesome.

I am extremely happy with the Song3-A. It’s obvious they have a VERY high ceiling that I can keep climbing toward with more room treatment, placement, and higher resolution recordings. Bass reproduction and low end is really very good - no doubt it meets or exceeds the 33hz spec very cleanly - but I plan to add two 12” subwoofers someday (Salk or Rhythmik).

I can’t compare the Song3-A to other Salk models since I haven’t heard them, except a demo pair of Song3 at a local amp manufacturer store, which also sounded really, really good. With Jim’s passionate dedication to his craft and skill, I’m confident every model he makes sounds great, each with their own unique strengths.

Fellow Song3-A and Salk owners, enjoy the music! We are circling the summit of Mt. Audio Nirvana!

TerryWI

Re: I love Song3-A
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jan 2023, 01:19 am »
Great story - nice read!  Lot's of stuff in your music list I'm not familiar with, but do love Tom Waits and anything Frank Zappa, especially his orchestral works.

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jan 2023, 02:45 am »
Hi,

I was like you and took a leap of faith way back in 2009 and I ordered a pair of Salk Sound HT2's (the original version). I've also had HT3's and I currently use a pair of Song 3's.  My room is lousy so I need front ported speakers thus the Song 3's.

I've heard speakers using accuton mid's are they are very very nice sounding. Good luck and happy listening.

Cheers Rod
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2023, 08:41 am by Rocket »

monte

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jan 2023, 12:45 pm »
Hope you have many more enjoyable years listening to the salks.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2023, 05:50 pm »
Congrats and great choice! Invest in the speakers and you can always mix and match components over time. If you like texture you should try a tube amp or pre at some point, and the GaNfet amp I have also delivered great texture with tons of power. You're in for years of enjoyment with those speakers.

rowdyrobot

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2023, 01:25 am »
Thanks, everyone, for the kind replies. I worked from home today and snuck in a couple hours of high db listening to a range of fusion jazz, prog rock and Morricone film scores (e.g. The Thing remastered). Everything sounds so incredibly good! Feels like the drivers crossed the initial break in. I could get used to this  :green:
I feel blessed to have such a fine pair of Salk’s in a warm home, as I’m sure you do too. Best Wishes.