Song3 and Upgrades....

DFpritchard

Song3 and Upgrades....
« on: 19 Mar 2022, 09:14 pm »
I have been listening to my Song3s for about 3 years now and have changed/upgraded nearly everything.  Recent post about Song3 Encore and cables/power conditioning inspired me to share my various changes and the perceived differences/improvements.

1. About a month ago, changed out Richard Gray Power Company for new Audioquest Niagara 1200.  Not an audible difference but I feel better with newer technology between the outlet and gear.  I think of this as insurance, not an upgrade to music listening.
2. About 3 months ago, replaced Marantz 8005 CD/SACD for Luxman D-05x.  Revelatory!  Huge improvements in imaging, clarity, tonal purity (Not sure what I mean by this except every CD/SACD sounds much 'better').
3. Over time, changed out miscellaneous speaker, power and interconnects for less expensive Anticables.  Noticeable improvement, great value in terms of return on investment for 'better' sound.
4. 2 years ago, replaced Parasound Halo integrated with Wells Majestic with Level 2 mods (Bybee stuff).  Big improvement in dynamics and noise floor.  The Majestic is Super Quiet! and overall a great, under appreciated integrated amp.
5. About a month ago, changed out Herbies for Isoacoustic Gaia 2 with carpet spikes.  Still looking for words to describe the improvement in what I hear coming out of the Song3s.  Only thing I can think of is cataract surgery for the ears.  Much wider and deeper sound stage.  Real 'the musicians are in the room' feeling.  At roughly $900, the Gaias are not inexpensive but they are superlative value.

You can see where this is going.  Every change has made the Song3s sound better.  Now thinking about upgrading Wells Majestic with Class A amplification or a higher power A/B amp + pre.  I usually listen at low to mid levels so lower power Class A (e.g., Pass Labs XA-60A, Luxman M800A) will be OK for 86 dB Song3s.  If I go higher power A/B (e.g., McIntosh MC402, power overkill @ 400 wpc) are the Song3s at risk?

Thoughts, suggestions, feedback always appreciated.  Even from the guy who didn't like my choice of veneers.

jsalk

Re: Song3 and Upgrades....
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2022, 02:22 pm »
If I go higher power A/B (e.g., McIntosh MC402, power overkill @ 400 wpc) are the Song3s at risk?

You can likely damage a speaker with just about any amp if it is driven to severe clipping.  The more power you have, the less this is likely to happen.  More power means more headroom.  Your ears will tell you if you are playing too loud (the cue is generally distortion) and you can simply turn things down.  But I wouldn't worry about having too much power.  From my perspective, the more the better.

- Jim

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2022, 10:42 pm »
When I had my Song3's, which I only sold due to a move, I also noticed a big performance gain with Gaia feet, but I think I used the Gaia3. I also like Anticables and feel they're a great bargain. I actually had a special pair made that is basically two sets of their 3.1 speaker cables per run terminated with heavy duty spades. So basically 4 3.1 cables for a stereo pair of speaker cables. Amazing sound but very stiff cables. The only reason I'm not using them is they're about 7ft long and I need at least 8 feet in my new room. Anyone interested just pm me and I'd probably sell them.

Have you ever tried a tube amp with your song3's? Best sound I had with my Song3's was with a Line Magnetic 508 integrated. It's a Class A SET amp using 805/300b tubes and around 48wpc. Never had headroom issues and it was amazingly holographic once you upgrade the stock tubes. You just have to be prepared for a beast of an amp, but if you're looking at an MC402 you're prepared.

birbygdad

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2022, 04:30 am »
I have had my Song 3 set a few years. I use a Audio by Van Alstine Vision Set 400 power amp with about 225 watts per channel (if I remember correctly). Works like a charm. Clean, powerful and though not cheap, very reasonable for a USA made amp% plus if you call them Frank Van Alstine usually answers. I also use his preamp.

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 22 Mar 2022, 11:30 am »
Hi Guys,

A friend who bought my Song 3's recently replaced his Spread Spectrum Technologies Son of Ampzilla (120 watts a channel) with a Son of Ampzilla Mk2.  This is 220 watts per channel. I didn't think there was a huge difference in sound quality but the Mk2 had better transparency and a more neutral presentation.

The Song 3's sound fantastic and much better than when they were in my small living room.

Ps.I'm sure that I've heard that Wells Audio make great products.

Cheers Rod

DFpritchard

« Reply #5 on: 22 Mar 2022, 04:56 pm »
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.  ABD, I have considered tubes/valves and came close to buying a Raven Osprey.  Heard very good things about these, not only the products but the team behind the company.  Very Salk-esque, if that's a term.  I have had both C-J and Cary (a local company if you live in Raleigh as I do), the Cary's driving SF Amatis.  Pretty much decided to stick with solid state as the tube rolling options and attendant second-guessing are too much of a distraction.  Looking at Class A which, it is said, most closely duplicates 'tube sound'.  The biggest problem I have now is that the Wells Majestic Level 2 sounds so damn good driving the Song3s.  Whatever replaces it must sound different in ways that a) I can hear and; b) I like.  That's why I am considering the Class A offerings from Pass and Luxman.

Birbygdad, got to love the Anticables performance and approach.  Paul S is another of the Really Good Guys in the hi-fi business.  Jeff Wells deserves a mention in this regard, too. 

Rod, do you have to pay Mr. Laver (the GOAT) a royalty to use Rocket?

Hope everyone is well.

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 22 Mar 2022, 06:47 pm »
The biggest problem I have now is that the Wells Majestic Level 2 sounds so damn good driving the Song3s. 

I'd stick with what you have.  "Damn good" is pretty darn good!

- Jim

rick_reynolds40

« Reply #7 on: 22 Mar 2022, 10:00 pm »
My 2 cents on amps for Song 3's.   I own the BeAT model.

I Tried McIntosh and for some reason there was zero Synergy/compatibility or whatever you want to call it.  The Mac sounded excellent with my Veracity-ST's.  I had the MC7900 Integrated.  No tweaking would make me like the combo.  I tried most of the things you list, and even though I heard improvements with the tweaks...the overall sound I was getting was not to my liking.

I have a Luxman L505u.  Older model, from about 2008.  I use it in my office with Songsurround Plus's.  One day I lugged it out to main room and plugged it into the BeAT's.  The Mac never went back in the system.  I sold it and bought a new Luxman L509X.   Sounds Amazing!   

I have heard the Wells stuff and like it alot.  Sounded really good in the systems I heard.  So....if you have synergy/compatibility it might be a good idea not to mess with it.

Good luck

Rick

Rocket

« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2022, 12:43 pm »
Hi,

I see that Jim has participated in hifi shows and used his speakers with Wells Audio equipment. I'd say that Jim knows best...

I've always sound that a speaker upgrade provides the best price to performance upgrade. I really did find it interesting the comparison between the Spread Spectrum Technologies Son of Ampzilla and Son of Ampzilla MK2. Both provided excellent sound quality and in the end it really just came down to preference.

So I'd say its speaker upgrade time :)

Cheers Rod

artofaudio

« Reply #9 on: 23 Mar 2022, 03:11 pm »
I’m using a Cary si3002d integrated with the BEATS and they sound beautiful. 

2 x 300W RMS in 8 Ω from 20Hz to 20KHz
2 x 450W RMS in 4 Ω from 20Hz to 20KHz

DFpritchard

« Reply #10 on: 29 Mar 2022, 06:20 pm »
I couldn't help myself.  Got a great deal on a Mark Levinson No 585 integrated which will replace the Wells Majestic Level 2.  Jim said don't mess with success (true) but also said more power is a good thing.  Just doing what I am told.

Hopefully done with hardware.  It's a real testament to the quality and value of Salk speakers that the upgrades in source (Luxman D-05u) and now amplification (ML 585) are an effort to get the best possible performance from a comparatively inexpensive pair of speakers. 

Thanks for the input and advice.