IDA-6

JCarney

IDA-6
« on: 2 Nov 2020, 10:47 pm »
I just purchased an IDA-6, and I am little confused as to how to properly hook it up for bridged mode.

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance,
JCarney

srb

Re: IDA-6 ?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2020, 11:55 pm »
I am a little confused as to why one would want to bridge an integrated amplifier?  In any case, AFAIK it's not possible with this amplifier.

Maybe you're actually talking about bridging an STA-6 power amplifier?

JCarney

Re: IDA-6
« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2020, 12:57 am »
Thanks srb, I must have mis-read something somewhere, as I cannot seem to find what I previously read. It can run four speakers, and I appear to be mistaken about it being bridgeable since I can't find that info again.

JCarney

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2020, 01:26 am »
The STA-9 can be bridged, but perhaps not the IDA-6.

rustydoglim

« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2020, 02:58 am »
IDA-6 was initially conceived for installation use, so it has 4 pairs of speaker outputs.
It was also designed with 2 pairs of outputs at higher power if the other 2 pairs are not connected.

IDA-6 doesn't have a bridging circuit. Here's the description from STA-9:

The standard method for bridging a stereo amp into mono employs a series of op amps (OPA) in order to invert the input signals to one of the stereo amp, thereby creating an opposite phase, which can then be combined to increase power. Conversely, the STA-9’s innovative bridging circuit utilises a design we call Single-Ended Direct-Inject Bridge Technology, in which the mono mode, in addition to acquiring more than double the power, sounds livelier and more dynamic.

JCarney

« Reply #5 on: 3 Nov 2020, 11:56 am »
Thank You Jason for clearing that up for me. Clearly I got it mixed up in my head. :lol:

JCarney