How to Disable DAC only mode DAC10

mcmusicman

How to Disable DAC only mode DAC10
« on: 5 Oct 2021, 12:39 am »
I understand how to put it into DAC only mode, how do I take it out of this mode?
Instructions not listed in my manual.  Thank you.

JackD

Re: How to Disable DAC only mode DAC10
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2021, 01:02 am »
There is no "DAC only" mode.  There is a level you set the volume to for unity gain(93) if you want to use another preamp. If you now want to use the DAC-10 as a preamp too then just adjust the volume to the level you want to listen too.

John Casler

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2021, 03:08 am »
I understand how to put it into DAC only mode, how do I take it out of this mode?
Instructions not listed in my manual.  Thank you.

This function is not well known, because it was initially treated as "HT Bypass", which it was not.

What it does is bypass the Volume Control so you are just using the DAC.

It has been a while since I have helped anyone with this as it is not needed by most users and as Jack mentioned setting the Volume Control at 93db or so is essentially the same as by-passing.

If I remember correctly to "go back' to full operation, you simply perform the same steps you used to set it up a second time.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll try to find out.

mcmusicman

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2021, 03:26 pm »
This function is not well known, because it was initially treated as "HT Bypass", which it was not.

What it does is bypass the Volume Control so you are just using the DAC.

It has been a while since I have helped anyone with this as it is not needed by most users and as Jack mentioned setting the Volume Control at 93db or so is essentially the same as by-passing.

If I remember correctly to "go back' to full operation, you simply perform the same steps you used to set it up a second time.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll try to find out.

Thank you John. It was a different combination of buttons and I do not know exactly how I did it but I was able to get it back out of DAC only mode.  I'm reluctant to leave it on 93 with so much power downstream so If you do happen upon the exact sequence please let me know.  Thank you!

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2021, 05:57 pm »
93 on the volume control equals 2v and 4v output which is the industry standard for a DAC.  If you plan to use it now as a preamp too then use the appropriate volume for the listening level you want.  If you are using another preamp then 93 is appropriate.

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2021, 06:31 pm »
Thank you John. It was a different combination of buttons and I do not know exactly how I did it but I was able to get it back out of DAC only mode.  I'm reluctant to leave it on 93 with so much power downstream so If you do happen upon the exact sequence please let me know.  Thank you!

JackD is correct.

No need to worry about setting the VC to 93db as EACH INPUT remembers the last VC setting.

That is, if you set it for 93db on input #1, it will remember that ONLY for input #1.  All other inputs will also remember their last setting.

So setting #1 at 93db ONLY affects that input.