Various Amp Questions

emailtim

Various Amp Questions
« on: 8 Sep 2018, 08:50 pm »
Just found this forum and the Digital Amp Company.  Nice to see competition in the digital switching amp field.  After doing some internet searches and reading, I have the following questions.

• Has the DAC Amps been compared to the Kilowatt Sanders' Magtech amps (2200 VA transformer) which are popular with planars and stats ?
  • Has the DAC Amps been used on the large 20.X Magnepan series ?
  • I see there are standard, double and quadruple capacitance options, but was not able to identify what the 1X, 2X and 4X was applied to.  What is the baseline capacitance that is being multiplied ?
  • Are the DAC Amps a truly balanced design or just XLR inputs ?
Answer/Update: Real Balanced https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90960.msg915072#msg915072
  • Any chance of using a 20amp IEC for better physical power cord connections on the MEGAschinos ?
  • From what I have read, these amps appear to be Digital Switching amps with a slight SET/Tube voicing.  Is this a correct characterization ?
  • Is anyone using them for active biamping ?
  • What percentage of the amp is made and assembled in the USA ?

Sorry for so many questions, but wasn't able to find the answers from searching the web.

Thanks for you your time and info.

« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2018, 10:00 pm by emailtim »

emailtim

Re: Various Amp Questions
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2018, 10:01 pm »
Bump.  130+ views and no answers ???
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2018, 08:04 am by emailtim »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2018, 05:57 am »
Just found this forum and the Digital Amp Company.  Nice to see competition in the digital switching amp field.  After doing some internet searches and reading, I have the following questions.

• Has the DAC Amps been compared to the Kilowatt Sanders' Magtech amps (2200 VA transformer) which are popular with planars and stats ?
  • Has the DAC Amps been used on the large 20.X Magnepan series ?
  • I see there are standard, double and quadruple capacitance options, but was not able to identify what the 1X, 2X and 4X was applied to.  What is the baseline capacitance that is being multiplied ?
  • Are the DAC Amps a truly balanced design or just XLR inputs ?
Answer/Update: Real Balanced https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=90960.msg915072#msg915072
  • Any chance of using a 20amp IEC for better physical power cord connections on the MEGAschinos ?
  • From what I have read, these amps appear to be Digital Switching amps with a slight SET/Tube voicing.  Is this a correct characterization ?
  • Is anyone using them for active biamping ?
  • What percentage of the amp is made and assembled in the USA ?

Sorry for so many questions, but wasn't able to find the answers from searching the web.

Thanks for you your time and info.

Has the DAC Amps been compared to the Kilowatt Sanders' Magtech amps (2200 VA transformer) which are popular with planars and stats ?
>>>> Not yet.

Has the DAC Amps been used on the large 20.X Magnepan series ?
>>>> Yes.

I see there are standard, double and quadruple capacitance options, but was not able to identify what the 1X, 2X and 4X was applied to.  What is the baseline capacitance that is being multiplied ?
>>>> Varies based on product.  For MEGAschino, base capacitance is 20,000uF per channel, so a MEGA MONO has 80,000uF total.  All Cherry Amp designs also handle power supply ripple extremely well, lowering the need for huge capacitance.

Are the DAC Amps a truly balanced design or just XLR inputs ?
>>>> True balanced.

Any chance of using a 20amp IEC for better physical power cord connections on the MEGAschinos ?
>>>> You can use any power cord that fits a standard IEC connector.  The circuit breaker on Classic Cherry and MEGA amps is 15A, by the way, although it can handle higher current briefly.

From what I have read, these amps appear to be Digital Switching amps with a slight SET/Tube voicing.  Is this a correct characterization ?
>>>> Not sure how to answer the "voicing" part, but listeners have claimed Cherry Amps to be the most "tube sounding" Class-D.

Is anyone using them for active biamping ?
>>>> Yes.

What percentage of the amp is made and assembled in the USA ?
>>>> 100% assembled in USA.  Semiconductors, for example, don't have local sources, but all sub assemblies (harnesses, enclosures, PCBs, etc.) come from local shops when possible.  For more detail, I'd need to research, but we buy material from USA when possible as well.

-Tommy O

emailtim

« Reply #3 on: 14 Sep 2018, 06:42 am »
Tommy O,

Thanks for filling in the blanks.

As for the IEC question, I should have phrased it better.  Can the IEC in the back of the amp be swapped out for the rectangular 20amp receptacle which is a more stable physical/mechanical connection (or is it part of the breaker/switch assembly) ?

Also, the term "voicing" usually refers to the "house sound" signature.  Some of the articles/posts state the DAC Amps have a very high SNR and then part of that is consumed by tailoring the final sound (voicing).  Just wanted to confirm the voicing was towards a SET/Tube sound.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2018, 03:29 am »
Tommy O,

Thanks for filling in the blanks.

As for the IEC question, I should have phrased it better.  Can the IEC in the back of the amp be swapped out for the rectangular 20amp receptacle which is a more stable physical/mechanical connection (or is it part of the breaker/switch assembly) ?

Also, the term "voicing" usually refers to the "house sound" signature.  Some of the articles/posts state the DAC Amps have a very high SNR and then part of that is consumed by tailoring the final sound (voicing).  Just wanted to confirm the voicing was towards a SET/Tube sound.

What's your first name?

We had to look into this and came to the conclusion that it's possible, but would be a one-up custom piece.  Thanks again.

-Tommy O