Guitar tuning App

dflee

Guitar tuning App
« on: 6 Aug 2023, 04:33 pm »
Battery gave out on my tuner so I tried to find an app on the iphone.
After several apps that led to having to buy something I gave up.
Is there a free app for tuning the guitar?

Thanks
Don

seikosha

Re: Guitar tuning App
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2023, 04:41 pm »
There’s stuff on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJxRjWtwmEE

The Guitar Tuna app used to be free, but they started charging.  YouTube works fine for me.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2023, 06:15 pm »
I would suggest tuning by your ears for the usual mi lá ré sol si mi.

dpatters

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2023, 07:39 pm »
Simply Tuner is free and works well.

Don P

nrenter

« Reply #4 on: 6 Aug 2023, 08:49 pm »

I'm sorry, but this is just not a helpful comment.

I like GuitarTuna, but the Fender Guitar Tuner app gets good reviews. And it free.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 6 Aug 2023, 10:31 pm »
I'm sorry, but this is just not a helpful comment.

I like GuitarTuna, but the Fender Guitar Tuner app gets good reviews. And it free.
Sorry for not suggesting a electronic gadget to do this simple task, for standard tuning E, A, D, G, B, E is perfectly possible use the ears, Hendrix never used a tuner.

nrenter

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2023, 12:19 am »
If it was such a simple task, the OP wouldn’t be asking for an electronic gadget recommendation. If the OP had the ear to do so, he’d probably not be asking.

Good for Hendrix. Not sure what that has to do with anything. Maybe he can help the OP tune his guitar.

Oh, it you have a Mac, there’s a tuner app built into GarageBand.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2023, 01:28 am »
If it was such a simple task, the OP wouldn’t be asking for an electronic gadget recommendation. If the OP had the ear to do so, he’d probably not be asking.

Good for Hendrix. Not sure what that has to do with anything. Maybe he can help the OP tune his guitar.

Oh, it you have a Mac, there’s a tuner app built into GarageBand.
Violin is tuned in fifths, tuning guitar and acoustic guitar by ear is a matter of habit, they are the simplest instruments to tune, dont even have to do intonation like the piano.

In an orchestra the string instruments are tuned on stage just before the concert, except the harp LOL, who set the tone for the other instruments is the oboe, the instruments must be in tune in relation to the oboe, not individually tuned by an electronic tuner.

dpatters

« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2023, 08:51 am »
Violin is tuned in fifths, tuning guitar and acoustic guitar by ear is a matter of habit, they are the simplest instruments to tune, dont even have to do intonation like the piano.

In an orchestra the string instruments are tuned on stage just before the concert, except the harp LOL, who set the tone for the other instruments is the oboe, the instruments must be in tune in relation to the oboe, not individually tuned by an electronic tuner.
As you mentioned in another thread, you don’t even play guitar. All players I know use tuners. Also, when playing live, the guitar tuning pedal mutes your guitar so the audience doesn’t hear you tuning.

Don P

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 7 Aug 2023, 09:37 am »
You just need to reference the low E string then tune by ear from there.  Every guitar player knows this, right? 

doorman

« Reply #10 on: 7 Aug 2023, 08:55 pm »
You’d be surprised how far out most people would be, even long time players.
When playing with a mixture of instruments its necessary to be on the same page.
GuitarTuna app. works well

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2023, 01:28 am »
I cant blame the US musicians these difficulties are caused by the English system E, A, D, G, B, E code, it make difficult to learn, it does not reproduce the sound of the strings like the Italian system, so children have difficulties to learn music since the beginning, this system imposes a further barrier on the student IMO.

dflee

« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2023, 11:53 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas guys.
With tinnitus it is a chore to tune by ear but when it's out of tune the least bit
chords just sound terrible to me.

Don

BobRex

« Reply #13 on: 9 Aug 2023, 12:09 am »
You could always get a tuning fork  A=440 and tune the A string from that.  Then work your way up and down (or across) the neck.

Forrepair

« Reply #14 on: 9 Aug 2023, 02:39 am »
Is this what you are looking for?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/boss-tuner/id1113473319

I've played guitar and other instruments for years. I only use a tuner when I want to play in tune.

nrenter

« Reply #15 on: 9 Aug 2023, 09:42 pm »
I cant blame the US musicians these difficulties are caused by the English system E, A, D, G, B, E code, it make difficult to learn, it does not reproduce the sound of the strings like the Italian system, so children have difficulties to learn music since the beginning, this system imposes a further barrier on the student IMO.

I've got to stop visiting these audio forums. I spend too much time wondering if I'm having a stroke.

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 9 Aug 2023, 10:00 pm »
Well since nobody is going to say it I will.

You can tune a guitar but you can’t tune a fish.