BDP-1 and NAS connectivity

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
Re: BDP-1 and NAS connectivity
« Reply #40 on: 15 Jul 2012, 07:33 pm »
Hi All,

Just to clarify the NAS feature cOming to the bdp.  The bdp's firmware is going to ship with two new items in the settings web interface.  The first is "NAS setup", this control panel will walk users through a process of selecting a comPuter or NAS containing samba (aka smb aka windows file sharing) shares.  Once successfully connected the settings will be stored in the bdP so it may retain the settings after a reboot.

The second new control panel in the settings page will labled "services".  This will allow you to stop and start a hand full of services on the bdP.  how ever we are adding a new service; a DLNA/UPnP Client.  This will allow the BDP to automatcally connect to UPnP servers hosting media files.  When the firmware ships at the end of the month this feature will still be marked as Beta, but still available to be enabled.

Cheers,
Chris

Comrades!

Can someone please explain to a simpleton lawyer like me why this "upgrade" would be beneficial. i.e., what will it allow me to do that I cannot do now, and why I would want to? In my experience, upgrades like this generally increase my BP readings considerably!

Thank you.

Neal :scratch:

Thanks, Neal for asking this question. I hope Chris can give us non-techies a non-tech description of what these new features will give us in terms we can understand. It would be helpful to have examples given, like what I could do in another room of my house using what and how.

srb

« Reply #41 on: 15 Jul 2012, 07:44 pm »
You can maintain your music library on the NAS and directly rip CDs or copy downloaded files to that library location without needing to then copy them over to a USB hard drive or thumb drive that is directly attached to the BDP-1.

In another room you could also access that same library from a computer or from a network streaming device such as a Squeezebox Touch, Sonos, Airport Express, Apple TV, etc.

Steve

DaveNote

« Reply #42 on: 15 Jul 2012, 07:50 pm »
You can maintain your music library on the NAS and directly rip CDs or copy downloaded files to that library location without needing to then copy them over to a USB hard drive or thumb drive that is directly attached to the BDP-1.

In another room you could also access that same library from a computer or from a network streaming device such as a Squeezebox Touch, Sonos, Airport Express, Apple TV, etc.

Steve

This is helpful. Thanks Steve. Can you expalin what the DLNA/UPnP client would do?

Marius

« Reply #43 on: 15 Jul 2012, 08:11 pm »

brucek

« Reply #44 on: 15 Jul 2012, 08:39 pm »
This is helpful. Thanks Steve. Can you expalin what the DLNA/UPnP client would do?

DLNA-compatible devices use UPnP to communicate with each other.

For example, I have a new flat screen TV that has DLNA as one of its standard selectable inputs, along with DVD, BluRay, Satellite, etc. When I select DLNA input, it selects my home network (that I have connected to my TV) and it sees all my music, photos, videos on my home PC that are associated with DLNA enabled software such as Windows Media Player. Windows Media Player can be enabled to be a DLNA server by simply selecting the feature. It's easy.

The BDP (I'm assuming, since I don't own one) would allow you to access and play all the music stored on your home PC using DLNA through your home network. Right now, as I understand it, the BDP requires a local USB stick or local hard drive to be attached to access and play music. DLNA capability would allow you to see music stored on your home PC and play it over your home network.

To me, that's huge.

brucek

DaveNote

« Reply #45 on: 15 Jul 2012, 08:41 pm »
Hi Dave,

Check http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance

Marius

Thanks Marius. I think the link is most helpful in giving me an idea of how a NAS would work, in my case with a hard drive USB connected to my router, which if I get it right, would let my BDP-1 access that hard drive. Unrelated to the BDP-1, that same hard drive could be accessed by the kinds of devices described by Steve and brucek. Neat.

If I get all of this, then the main benefit as far as the BDP-1 is concerned, is file manipulation that can reduce copying to a BDP-connected drive, as explained by Steve. This is an improvement over what I now do, but since the BDP-1 is on my local network, that copying is done easily from one folder to another. It seems, therefore, that the NAS connection, at the end of the day, as far as the BDP-1 is concerned saves just one step.

If I got this wrong, or have missed other benefits, could you please correct me?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #46 on: 15 Jul 2012, 10:59 pm »
Can an Apple Time Capsule be used with the BDP-1 as the NAS?

Tony

Yes, we have tested an apple time capsule via samba

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #47 on: 15 Jul 2012, 11:19 pm »
Hi all,

These new features have a number of advantages which evolve around ditching USB storage.

*Some users which you can find some of them on here have had power issues (drives that exceed the 500ma limit)
*Noise, 2.5" drives are quite but do not come in the same capacities as 3.5" drives which some of which can be a little noisy

With this new update you'll be able to store your data on an existing NAS or your existing computer.

*If you use your computer you can rip your audio directly to your computer, the bdp can then update the music db over the network.  The idea is you have less audible noise in your sound room and more storage.

*using a NAS instead of your computer has a few advantages.
1. The data stored on the NAS will likely to be backup of the existing data on your computer, so if one of the two goes wrong you still have a copy of your media.
2. Modern NAS come with upnp software pre installed.
3. A NAS is less likely to go wrong then a computer as it is a purpose device with relatively static software.

The benefits between samba (available via the NAS setup) and using upnp (available in services)
*samba uses authenticTion, making it secure but requires some setup and basic knowledge (ie names, username and passwords)
*upnp (aka dlna) no setup at all, self discovery; however no security.  Because it just home media most people have no need to password protect there music libraries.

Anyways typing on an iPad sucks

Marius

« Reply #48 on: 16 Jul 2012, 07:57 am »
HI Dave,
you are correct, and I don't feel the need to correct you :D

for me the main advantages are (the solution of these issues):

no more hdd sounds in the audio room,
no more limitation in hdd space,
no more power related hdd issues,
no more filing issues, and extreme slow transfers to the bdp/hdd's
universal access to my music-library
easier way of maintaining one library, not devided into several special libraries per machine system (iTunes/mp3, flac/hires for bdp, etc etc)
easier backup of this one library

other plusses are:
universal (dlna) recognition and discovery of standardized filing on the network
hopefully recognition of the BDP! in the dlna network (the vice versa of the above...)

Hope Chris isn't serious in the "ditching of USB" cause to others that might be their preferred way of handling files.

Wish Chris was here a year ago.... when I asked for these features, i was told the BDP1 was not for me and had to go elsewhere  :?
Glad I didn't.

Marius

Thanks Marius. I think the link is most helpful in giving me an idea of how a NAS would work, in my case with a hard drive USB connected to my router, which if I get it right, would let my BDP-1 access that hard drive. Unrelated to the BDP-1, that same hard drive could be accessed by the kinds of devices described by Steve and brucek. Neat.

If I get all of this, then the main benefit as far as the BDP-1 is concerned, is file manipulation that can reduce copying to a BDP-connected drive, as explained by Steve. This is an improvement over what I now do, but since the BDP-1 is on my local network, that copying is done easily from one folder to another. It seems, therefore, that the NAS connection, at the end of the day, as far as the BDP-1 is concerned saves just one step.

If I got this wrong, or have missed other benefits, could you please correct me?
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2012, 05:35 pm by Marius »

DaveNote

« Reply #49 on: 16 Jul 2012, 11:57 am »
Thanks Chris. I'm sorry I'm so poor with the techie stufff that your description of the things that the upgrade wil do is still over my head. No doubt it will be helpful to more technically literate users. If I attempt this, I might give you a call for help.

Marius, thanks for your help. I can understand your description of benefits, with exception of the BDP-1 being recognized on the DLNA network. In my case, nothing in my sound room would use the DLNA, but in other rooms that might be the case. Therefore, since my BDP-1 is connected to my preamp, amp and speakers, I can't see how this would be a benefit, at least for me. Maybe you could explain how it might work for others.

Your comment about the BDP-1 not having these features a year ago really hits at home for me. Before the BDP-1 I was running a Roku SoundBridge and had come to enjoy some of the usual features of a media player - access to Internet radio, large data bases, etc. Before the BDP-1 was shipped, it was explained as a replacement for the CD player and all the things it would not do. My initial reaction was it just wasn't for me. I couldn't understand why Bryston would produce a digital, computer driven, device that would not take advantage if its inherent, flexible potential given that it could be programmed. I had the feeling it was like someone had decided to invent the wheel, but told potential users it could only be used for donkey carts, and not for anything else. I was, frankly, bewildered by that design goal.

But I had never been disappointed by Bryston products. It has always exceeded my expectations. I decided to try the BDP-1 even with my doubts. The real advantage of the BDP-1, I learned, was how well it played ordinary ripped CD files.

And then Bryston started to upgrade the software, first to speed up the booting process, and then to add Internet radio. And now NAS. And probably even better Internet radio use, which I believe is even more important from a user's perspective than NAS.

In short, Bryston listened to its customers and ditched the original limited design intent in order to make the BDP-1 a digital media player that is a great audio device and meets both the competition and the expectations of digital users. Bravo Bryston!

Once all these software improvements are made, my wish list for the BDP-2 includes these two items:

1. A large display readable from several feet away. Audio gear is seldom close to the user, and the BDP-1 display from a distance is for practical listening purposes, useless. When I listen to Internet radio, I turn on my Roku not as a music source, but for its display, which depending on the station, also shows was songs are playing (another thing that should be added to the BDP-1 through the Internet radio upgrade).

2. The panel controls are usable but terrible. I would like to see ones that are intuitive to use. I seldom use them, but when I have to, I have to go back to the manual. With respect, controls just have to be easier than that. I believe they should be designed working on the premise that (a) the easier to use the better and (b) on the hypothesis that the device should be able to run easily without using a PC or app.

Marius

« Reply #50 on: 16 Jul 2012, 01:10 pm »
Marius, thanks for your help. I can understand your description of benefits, with exception of the BDP-1 being recognized on the DLNA network. In my case, nothing in my sound room would use the DLNA, but in other rooms that might be the case. Therefore, since my BDP-1 is connected to my preamp, amp and speakers, I can't see how this would be a benefit, at least for me. Maybe you could explain how it might work for others.

sure. if you see your network a the main topography, and not your physical room(s) setup, you will soon feel the benefits of this dlna. Imagine a movie soundtrack or live concert on your bluray in the other room. The bdp will find this automatically, and you can play it in your sound room, over the network. Previously not possible with the Bdp1.
In my case the bdp even played a concert soundtrack I had dvd-ripped onto my iPad, it was stored as mp4 in my iTunes library on the HDD attached to the TimeCapsule and it plays without a hitch! Very nice indeed. Of course your mileage may vary.

DLNA is no holy grail for me, but it is very nice the BPD will conform to it. Makes things so much easier. And as you write, that was never an aspect the BDP shone. This might very well be a clinger for many potential buyers.

Hope you will enjoy this great Bryston product even more now!

Marius

Your comment about the BDP-1 not having these features a year ago really hits at home for me. Before the BDP-1 I was running a Roku SoundBridge and had come to enjoy some of the usual features of a media player - access to Internet radio, large data bases, etc. Before the BDP-1 was shipped, it was explained as a replacement for the CD player and all the things it would not do. My initial reaction was it just wasn't for me. I couldn't understand why Bryston would produce a digital, computer driven, device that would not take advantage if its inherent, flexible potential given that it could be programmed. I had the feeling it was like someone had decided to invent the wheel, but told potential users it could only be used for donkey carts, and not for anything else. I was, frankly, bewildered by that design goal.

But I had never been disappointed by Bryston products. It has always exceeded my expectations. I decided to try the BDP-1 even with my doubts. The real advantage of the BDP-1, I learned, was how well it played ordinary ripped CD files.

And then Bryston started to upgrade the software, first to speed up the booting process, and then to add Internet radio. And now NAS. And probably even better Internet radio use, which I believe is even more important from a user's perspective than NAS.

In short, Bryston listened to its customers and ditched the original limited design intent in order to make the BDP-1 a digital media player that is a great audio device and meets both the competition and the expectations of digital users. Bravo Bryston!

Once all these software improvements are made, my wish list for the BDP-2 includes these two items:

1. A large display readable from several feet away. Audio gear is seldom close to the user, and the BDP-1 display from a distance is for practical listening purposes, useless. When I listen to Internet radio, I turn on my Roku not as a music source, but for its display, which depending on the station, also shows was songs are playing (another thing that should be added to the BDP-1 through the Internet radio upgrade).

2. The panel controls are usable but terrible. I would like to see ones that are intuitive to use. I seldom use them, but when I have to, I have to go back to the manual. With respect, controls just have to be easier than that. I believe they should be designed working on the premise that (a) the easier to use the better and (b) on the hypothesis that the device should be able to run easily without using a PC or app.

DaveNote

« Reply #51 on: 16 Jul 2012, 01:17 pm »
Excellent explanation for a tech dummy like me! Many thanks, Marius. :D

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #52 on: 16 Jul 2012, 05:16 pm »

Hope Chris isn't serious in the "ditching of USB" cause to others that might be their preferred way of handling files.

Marius

Hi Marius,

USB support will remain as it is, as it is the source we originally recommended.  Regarding how long it has taken, well developing a better interface (the max 2) had taken priority over this feature, supporting our end users takes priority over development.

Chris

Marius

« Reply #53 on: 16 Jul 2012, 05:30 pm »
 :thumb:
thanks for this,
Marius

Hi Marius,

USB support will remain as it is, as it is the source we originally recommended.  Regarding how long it has taken, well developing a better interface (the max 2) had taken priority over this feature, supporting our end users takes priority over development.

Chris

DaveNote

« Reply #54 on: 16 Jul 2012, 05:34 pm »
Hi Marius,

Chris

"supporting our end users takes priority over development" Chris, it looks to me as if this is pure Bryston philosophy, which makes the company so great. The Roku SoundBridge, for its time, was very good, but Roku put development over supporting its users, and all its older media gear as a result has become totally orphaned, and in some ways unusable. The SoundBridge, for example, cannot be connected to home networks with WEP security. It is not possiible to support all equipment and applications forever, but Roku dropped supporting its existing base quite quickly. I'd be reluctant to buy Roku again for this very reason.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #55 on: 16 Jul 2012, 05:34 pm »

Hi Dave,

We released this in the last stable release of our software

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7w5khv5hCA

skip about 90 seconds in

Cheers,
Chris

uncouth

« Reply #56 on: 16 Jul 2012, 06:05 pm »
Chris,

Perfect timing with the NAS development.   :green: 

I just put together a Synology box with about 8TB of storage (due to RAID5 requirements) which I'll be very excited to get working with my BDP-1.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #57 on: 16 Jul 2012, 06:33 pm »
Thank You Bryston!

The BDA-1 is now exactly what I want and need. I liked everything about it except for the lack of NAS support - now it's perfect. The end users asked and Bryston responded. :thumb:

My network audio player woes are about to be solved. :D

DaveNote

« Reply #58 on: 16 Jul 2012, 09:15 pm »
Hi Dave,

We released this in the last stable release of our software

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7w5khv5hCA

skip about 90 seconds in

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks, Chris, this is a useful YouTube demonstration, but I guess I didn't make my point clearly. I believe a digitial player should have its own easily readable display, as well as easily useable controls, without needing the resort to third devices. I don't have a BluRay in my sound room, don't want one, and don't really want to use the Roku. I know neither the BDP-1 display or the controls can be improved with software upgrades. However, if there is to be a new box, a BDP-2, in the future, my hope would be to have these two user friendly changes made in a new box.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #59 on: 16 Jul 2012, 09:26 pm »
Thanks, Chris, this is a useful YouTube demonstration, but I guess I didn't make my point clearly. I believe a digitial player should have its own easily readable display, as well as easily useable controls, without needing the resort to third devices. I don't have a BluRay in my sound room, don't want one, and don't really want to use the Roku. I know neither the BDP-1 display or the controls can be improved with software upgrades. However, if there is to be a new box, a BDP-2, in the future, my hope would be to have these two user friendly changes made in a new box.

The thing you have to remember is displays add a lot of cost to a unit and given the IPad and such devices we really felt it was like reinventing the wheel???

james