Classic Black Platter upgrade

pix4work

Classic Black Platter upgrade
« on: 16 Nov 2019, 08:15 pm »
I have the original WTT/Arm with acrylic platter and have read there was a black platter introduced as an upgrade back in the 90’s. Has anyone tried this and seen any improvement?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Classic Black Platter upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2019, 11:35 pm »
I have a Classic with the black and the square motor with the clear.
In all honesty, I can't say if one is better than the other although if I had to keep only one it would be the Classic.
Probably because it came from a friend so it holds some sentimental value, not that I think it's leaps and bounds better than the square motor.

pix4work

« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2019, 04:34 am »
Okay, thank you, that is interesting to hear about your experience. The WTT/Arm does a lot of things very well, and I was just hoping to coax a little more top end from it.

Apesbrain

« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2019, 09:37 pm »
"Top end" as in treble extension? You might try adjusting VTA (i.e. angling the cartridge up or down a bit). What cart are you using?

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2019, 10:15 pm »
If you are close to Chicago I highly recommend having Brian from www.ttsetup.com
 come over to your place and have him setup your turntable to exactly how it should be setup .
I've never been more secure in knowing with absolute certainty that my Well Tempered Reference arm and table
is set up perfectly to get the finest out of my analog listening sessions.

pix4work

« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2019, 11:23 pm »
Thanks for the info. I have been using a Shelter 501, but I will check the VTA. Unfortunately, I am not close to Chicago.