One.2 Questions

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: One.2 Questions
« Reply #40 on: 18 Jul 2010, 01:02 pm »
I use a 130W power supply with my TWO.2 and have plenty of headroom..I'd take Seth's suggestion and order both, then pick what works best!! Enjoy...they just keep growing on you and get better and better! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

justplainmike

« Reply #41 on: 18 Jul 2010, 04:33 pm »
Mike,
Remember that with the log pot, you get 1/2 the volume in the last 1/4 turn... and there's no shame in full-out.  You will get another 30% more power with the bigger supplies but not more.  I suggest that you buy either or both a 130w supply or battery kit.  Send back what you don't want.
Enjoy!
Seth
Thanks Seth...I didn't realize the pot worked that way...do all pots do this??  I'm always hesitant to crank the volume too far.  I've had nasty clipping experiences w/previous (and admittedly substandard) receivers.   I do notice that, even close to max volume, the amp is running out of gas..not bad sounding (soft clipping maybe?) but just not as tight as a lower volume. 

Ordering both upgrades is a great idea....but I'm wondering if it's just a ploy to get me to keep and enjoy both!?!?   :wink:

Nuuk

• Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence.
    • Decibel Dungeon
« Reply #42 on: 19 Jul 2010, 07:07 am »
What supply are you using and what speakers?

I use a Paul Hynes regulated supply and Hawthorne Audio Duets. The Duets have two 15 inch drivers per channel (95db efficient) so the issue of not enough power never arises for me. I do appreciate that not everybody can accommodate such large speakers but going for efficient speakers removes a lot of potential difficult choices when putting together the rest of the system.

But as I said, it may be more gain you need rather than more power. As Seth says, you can run the ONE.2 etc flat out and there shouldn't be any problems with clipping. Here's a graphical representation of what he is talking about with the log pots.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #43 on: 19 Jul 2010, 01:23 pm »
Crank it up!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

CSI

« Reply #44 on: 19 Jul 2010, 06:50 pm »
Thanks Seth...I didn't realize the pot worked that way...do all pots do this??  I'm always hesitant to crank the volume too far.  I've had nasty clipping experiences w/previous (and admittedly substandard) receivers.   I do notice that, even close to max volume, the amp is running out of gas..not bad sounding (soft clipping maybe?) but just not as tight as a lower volume. 

Ordering both upgrades is a great idea....but I'm wondering if it's just a ploy to get me to keep and enjoy both!?!?   :wink:

In my experience volume pots are usually tapered one way or the other so that the useful range, for most people, occurs around the middle. If a pot is set up to be completely linear you might get more volume than you can use in the first 25% of rotation and it will be nearly impossible to "fine tune" your volume setting. This is why the phrase, "turn it up to 11!" is so silly.

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #45 on: 19 Jul 2010, 07:27 pm »
Bur ours does go to eleven. It gives it that extra push over the edge...

justplainmike

« Reply #46 on: 20 Jul 2010, 02:39 am »
Thanks for the updates...food for thought!  I did notice that the volume goes up faster higher on the dial...which I love!  I get good quality sound at low levels when I'm listening to music at night before/during sleep time.  And there's much more precision of volume at low levels...btw, this is going in the review :-)

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #47 on: 20 Jul 2010, 05:17 am »
The first prototype had a THAT limiter circuit.  I didn't want any customer to ever see clipping.  Roger convinced me that it would be a better strategy to first make it sound good before mucking up the signal path.  He won that argument.  We've elevated the sound beyond "recreational" and that costs something.  Yanking the anti-clipping circuit was like gutting the leather seats in your BMW to save a few pounds on the track.  We're interested in faster laptimes at virtually any cost ;-)
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2010, 04:35 pm by virtue »

fredgarvin

« Reply #48 on: 20 Jul 2010, 03:39 pm »
Thanks for the updates...food for thought!  I did notice that the volume goes up faster higher on the dial...which I love!  I get good quality sound at low levels when I'm listening to music at night before/during sleep time.  And there's much more precision of volume at low levels...btw, this is going in the review :-)
Hi Mike, if you'd like, include a comparison with the Khartago in your review, I, and no doubt others, am familiar with it's 'sound' and that would help me to conceptualize the Virtue amp.

justplainmike

« Reply #49 on: 20 Jul 2010, 05:31 pm »
Hi Mike, if you'd like, include a comparison with the Khartago in your review, I, and no doubt others, am familiar with it's 'sound' and that would help me to conceptualize the Virtue amp.
I haven't used a Khartago amp before.  I will be comparing the One.2 to my previous DTA-100, Sonic Impact Super T-amp, and panasonic SA-XR55.  Will be posting thoughts hopefully this weekend or so. 

fredgarvin

« Reply #50 on: 25 Jul 2010, 09:13 pm »
Oops, I must have confused you with someone else. I to have a Panny xr55 that I use for HT and occasional music.

justplainmike

« Reply #51 on: 3 Aug 2010, 04:46 am »
Okay...I've given this thing enough of a listen to write a review now.  BUT, it's going to be a long review...esp. with comparisons to other equipment and music notes.  Also, I'll be posting this to Headfi.org and AVS forums as well.  I want to share my thoughts with as many folks as possible.  I've always been grateful to everyone that posts their thoughts and take the time to write reviews of equipment that I'm interested in.  I want to return the favor or pay it forward as it were.  So the question is this:  Better one long review or post in parts as it's written?  Thoughts or preferences??  To be continued..... 8)

CSI

« Reply #52 on: 3 Aug 2010, 06:12 pm »
Having done a little professional writing here's a suggestion. Put all your thoughts down in one long review. Then let it mellow for at least 24 hours (we can wait) and go back and revise it. Be a little ruthless with yourself. You won't edit out anything really important and the end result will be more effective.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #53 on: 3 Aug 2010, 09:20 pm »
Mike the suspense is killing me.