Help!!! Amp for TS3 super Question, Dec Zen se84 vs. Jolida

danali

:o
I have an oppurtunity to purchase a Decware Zen SE84 for $250, with extra tubes.
I have Omega TS 3 Super's. Will this amp be siufficient to run them?
I am utilizing only a CD player, so no pre-amp is necessary.
My other alternative is a Jolida 301 that could (will?) be Ramed at a later date.

jackman

« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2003, 02:44 pm »
I would go for the Zen, and yes, it will have enough power to drive those speakers nicely.  That combination should work very well and, unless your preference is loud bass-heavy rap music or have a very large room, you should be able to achieve very good SPL's.

J

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2003, 12:40 pm »
Yes, from what I've heard of the TS-3's, they much prefer tube amplification.  To be completely honest, I wasn't impressed with the RAM 301/TS-3 combination as I heard it at the 2003 Midwest Audio Fest compared to the push/pull tube amps.

And yes, I've heard the Decware SE84 Select on comparable speakers (also 4 Fostex single driver designs with about 92 dB/w/m efficiency).  Unless you're a real head banger or playing in a very large room, the Zen will provide sufficient power.  Sufficient yes, plenty, ah probably not.  Killer bedroom system, but I'd wish for a sub and a bigger amp to create a reference system (all music types/all volume levels).  Whata ya expect for $650 for amp/speakers?

$250 for a SE84 with extra tubes is a GOOD deal.  A very cheap way to find the Decware version of SET (single ended triode) magic .  See professional reviews for the other Omega speakers.  At least one of them comment on the combination with a couple of the different Decware amps.

Compared to other SET's the Decware amps are faster, quieter, more accurate, more detailed, and provide better imaging than other SET's but give up power.  One of quirks about the SE84 amps is that they like low impedance speakers (2 - 4 ohms) versus typical SET's that prefer 8 - 16 ohm loads.  In the case of 8 ohm speakers like the Omega/Fostex designs there is a device available to help this match-up.  It's called an auto transformer (www.zeroimpedance.com), made by Paul Speltz.  These aren't super cheap, like the TS-3's or the SE84 amp.  Note that you'd use it in reverse of the typical setup.  The benefits are better bass more power/tightness and midrange openness/resolution.  (See professional review from the auto transformer site by Richard George.)

jeff

danali

Thanks for the responses! Decware bought.
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2003, 01:54 pm »
:D

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Tube amp vs RAM 301 for TS3
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2003, 01:17 am »
Probably not something you would expect to hear from myself but I too would recommend going with full tubes with the TS3.

I have had the TS3's (I personally have a pair of the Supers) set up with my RAM 301s but found my custom 9 watt tube unit to be more musically satisfying with these speakers.

The RAM is better suited for a bit larger (but easy to drive) speaker such as.................... [this is not the place].

Give the Decware a listen, I think you may be pleasantly suprised.