Monoblock or Stereo amp for SM6.9's?

JohnGron

Monoblock or Stereo amp for SM6.9's?
« on: 27 Nov 2006, 03:35 pm »
I've come to terms with my receiver just not having enough juice to pump my 6.9's.. Any recomendations on low-cost stereo amps or monoblocks to drive them?

Currently I'm about 90% sold on the Outlaw 2200's, but am wondering if there's any deal-breakers with running these compared to other available amps?

Thx.

MaxCast

Re: Monoblock or Stereo amp for SM6.9's?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2006, 08:08 pm »
I've used the nOrh Leamps and a souped up stereo Odyssey Stratos, both to good effect.  You can get IRD monos for around 500 (I think) or a used Stratos for 7-800.  Odyssey also makes the Khatargo amp for 800 new (500 used if you can find one).  Many satisfied Odyssey owners.

The Outlaws are $625.  What is your price range?
Are you using the xo in the receiver?

JohnGron

« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2006, 08:53 pm »
I'm using a HarmonKardon AV, about 5-6 years old, pretty sure it's the AVR75 (I'm at work right now-can't check). The subwoofer is xo'd for 72hz.

The 6.9sm's were driven by an old 125watt JVC receiver before this one, and just sounded SO much better, even on a cheaper RC, so I'm pretty sure this one just doesn't have the guts for it.

My budget is low, anything over $500 and the spouse hackles raise higher and higher..

The other option I'm looking at is offing the HK RC on ebay, and buying a new RC with more juice, but I imagine with the combined budget of the pittance I could get for the older HK and my current spending cash, I wouldn't be able to get anything any better.. That's why I'm attracted to cheap dual monoblocks or a stereo amp.

MaxCast

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2006, 09:34 pm »
You can search ebay or www.audiogon.com for a used amp or try an new AVR.

Personally, I'd call Odyssey and see if they have any B-stocks or wait for a used Khartago to come up for sale.

JohnGron

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2006, 10:57 pm »
Well, I decided just to swap out my HK AVR520 for a new JVC rx-702b. Going from 375w to 1000w, should be enough. After looking around, I can't really get the cost of decent monoblocks past the 'approval board'..