Different Midwoofer Drivers in Two-way RAAL Tweeter Monitors

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Hello, Rick.

I've been very curious about the differences between different midwoofers for a long time. I'm finally asking you (rather than trying to read everything on the internet) to explain in your words.

How do the following speakers sound different? (sealed or ported)

1.) Revelator mid + RAAL
2.) Illuminator mid + RAAL
3.) Satori mid + RAAL
4.) Seas Excel mid + RAAL

I have heard the first two-way. I own a pair of Satori mid + Satori tweeter monitors. I have not heard the other two combinations.

Thank you,

Michael

EDIT: I guess there's no requirement that the tweeter be RAAL. I know there are other brands available. My real interest is in how the midwoofers' sound differs.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
Hello, Rick.

I've been very curious about the differences between different midwoofers for a long time. I'm finally asking you (rather than trying to read everything on the internet) to explain in your words.

How do the following speakers sound different? (sealed or ported)

1.) Revelator mid + RAAL
2.) Illuminator mid + RAAL
3.) Satori mid + RAAL
4.) Seas Excel mid + RAAL

I have heard the first two-way. I own a pair of Satori mid + Satori tweeter monitors. I have not heard the other two combinations.

Thank you,

Michael

EDIT: I guess there's no requirement that the tweeter be RAAL. I know there are other brands available. My real interest is in how the midwoofers' sound differs.

All are very good woofers and it really depends on what tradeoffs you want to make. Which Satori design do you have?

mresseguie

I've got the Adelphos ported monitors with the Satori 6.5" mids and Satori tweeters. I like these monitors, but I'm interested in another pair of two-way monitors. I'd like to try a pair using the Revelators, Illuminators, or Seas Excels mids with a RAAL (or other) ribbon tweeter. I'm fairly certain I want sealed monitors. Some day, I may either add a third party sub, or commission additional matching subs (matching would be better!).

I don't know enough about the sonic differences between the above three mids to make an informed decision.

I have heard a pair of Revelator 5.25" mids/Vifa tweeter monitors. I really liked their sound. Hearing them is what got me thinking about the above choices.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
I've got the Adelphos ported monitors with the Satori 6.5" mids and Satori tweeters. I like these monitors, but I'm interested in another pair of two-way monitors. I'd like to try a pair using the Revelators, Illuminators, or Seas Excels mids with a RAAL (or other) ribbon tweeter. I'm fairly certain I want sealed monitors. Some day, I may either add a third party sub, or commission additional matching subs (matching would be better!).

I don't know enough about the sonic differences between the above three mids to make an informed decision.

I have heard a pair of Revelator 5.25" mids/Vifa tweeter monitors. I really liked their sound. Hearing them is what got me thinking about the above choices.

Actually the new ribbon I have would be an excellent solution for any of the above woofers, especially since it will cross lower than the 70-20XR. The Seas cone is very stiff but has minimal internal damping so the crossover is really important. Great upper bass / lower mid resolution. The Revelator is a good all-round performer. The Illuminator has greater excursion capability and remains linear when pushed really hard - in that respect better than any woofer of similar size. If you like the Satori then the Revelator is probably the closest in sound quality but with some of the benefits of a motor structure like the Illuminator. The Satori has a smaller diameter cone than the others here (assuming the 18cm frame versions) - for example, the Revelator has 26% more surface area. That means it cannot move quite as much air in the lower frequencies; however, it still has very respectable bass output and extension.

I haven't heard the Adelphos but it should be a good design and Jeff Bagby is someone I respect quite a bit.

cremar

I built Rick's Anniversario kit and I would agree with him that the new tweeter is very good.  I haven't heard the RAAL though, so can't compare them.  In my setup (sealed Anniversario's with matching 10" subs) I actually like the way the Satori handles the midrange better than the Revelator (I have Selah SSR's also).  I hope this helps.

ricardojoa

Not sure how low they can cross, the ribbon tweets Rick talks about, but always wondwer how an 8" mid bass would di in a two way. it had more surface area so im guessing a decent 8" can move more air than a 6-7", and dig deeper. i would think the excel 8"can do a nice job in a two if the cross over is low enough or maybe in the tenpesta substituing the illuminator.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Not sure how low they can cross, the ribbon tweets Rick talks about, but always wondwer how an 8" mid bass would di in a two way. it had more surface area so im guessing a decent 8" can move more air than a 6-7", and dig deeper. i would think the excel 8"can do a nice job in a two if the cross over is low enough or maybe in the tenpesta substituing the illuminator.

The 8" Excel is a good driver but I would prefer the 7" Illuminator over it. The Seas drivers tend to have suspension limiting (less dynamic capability) and don't go as low as their Scan-Speak counterparts.

mresseguie

Keep the discussion going, guys! I learn so much this way.  :thumb:

Cremar:

Yes. Your input does help! I had to look up the SSR6 before it made sense, but now I get it.  :thumb:

I came THIS close to buying the Anniversarios a few months ago, but in the end decided I had to get the Adelphos with Satori tweeters. Now that I have them, I just have to try a ribbon. I'm leaning toward the Illuminators.

I hope these will be my final pair of 2-way monitors.

Michael

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
Re: Different Midwoofer Drivers in Two-way RAAL Tweeter Monitors
« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2015, 01:59 am »
I have a customer in Texas who recently received the Anniversario and he has another pair of speakers with the RAAL tweeter. His comments so far have been favorable.

alkilpatrick

« Reply #9 on: 12 Mar 2015, 01:00 am »
I am most likely the customer from Texas that recently received the Anniversario. After spending some listening time with these I can say that the new twitter that Rick is using in the Anniverario is as good or better than the RAAL I have in another speaker IMHO. It sounds quite detailed and airy to me and integrated well. I have sometime thought maybe I should have pulled the trigger on the Verita,  not for the RAAL but for the Illuminator mid woofer. Maybe next time I get the bug to upgrade...

mresseguie

« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2015, 12:32 am »
Hi, Patrick.

Thanks for your impressions. It is great for me to hear actual owners' input on speakers.  :thumb:

I've begun due diligence with Rick to figure out exactly how I want to handle this.

Michael