Off Ramp and DEQX

bhobba

Off Ramp and DEQX
« on: 12 Aug 2005, 03:52 am »
Hi

I am looking to upgrade my stereo system to use the DEQX and convert over to computer audio.   The Off Ramp looks like a great device for this.  However I am a bit concerned about a comment made regarding the Tubdac - 'I liked the Tubedac+, but when I tried it with the Off-Ramp the soundstage got all messed up. I asked Steve about it, and he seemed to think the Tubedac+ wouldn't work well with the Off-Ramp'.

Although I do not plan to get a Tubdac I am curious how something like this could happen.  I would especially like to know if anyone thinks it could happen with a device like the DEQX.  Even better has anyone tried the Off Ramp with a DEQX?

Thanks
Bill

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
Off Ramp and DEQX
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2005, 04:21 am »
I'm skeptical of this.  It sounds like the problem is blaming the solution.  Tubes are a lot more of a variation from constency than solid state or digital.  So it's very unlikely that you can say that a digital system can make a tube system sound bad, the reverse is 100 times more likely.  DEQX is a pure digital system - if you keep a signal digital and don't compress it, and pass it into a DEQX system, there will be no loss until you decode the system to analog and this is very slight at worst and then on into the amps and drivers.  Don't worry about it, IOW.