Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res DSD Audio Music Player - in the house

mav52

Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res DSD Audio Music Player - in the house
« Reply #200 on: 28 Apr 2014, 12:44 pm »
Vinnie can you discuss the difference between the original Sony Bal XLR outputs and the new bal XLR outputs your going to provide, just curious

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #201 on: 28 Apr 2014, 02:45 pm »
I'd vote for a Headphone Output Stage as an option.  The volume control also sounds interesting.

Hi bmoura,

The headphone output stage would require the built-in volume control, and this is all doable.  I wish there was a simple way
to install the headphone jack on the front panel, but it would require machining and I do not have the capability in-house.   I can easily
add it to the rear panel, but I'm not sure if this would be an issue or not.

Vinnie can you discuss the difference between the original Sony Bal XLR outputs and the new bal XLR outputs your going to provide, just curious

Hi mav52,

The RWA-Z1ES-1-BAL, -2-BAL, and -3-BAL modification packages would be the same as listed on our website, but would apply to the XLR output jacks. 

- Vinnie

bmoura

« Reply #202 on: 28 Apr 2014, 05:31 pm »
Hi bmoura,

The headphone output stage would require the built-in volume control, and this is all doable.  I wish there was a simple way
to install the headphone jack on the front panel, but it would require machining and I do not have the capability in-house.   I can easily
add it to the rear panel, but I'm not sure if this would be an issue or not.

Putting the headphone output stage and the volume control on the back panel sounds fine to me.
More practical than machining I would think - and preserves the look of the front of the unit.
(The secret upgrades stay safely out of view...)
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2014, 09:12 pm by bmoura »

bmoura

« Reply #203 on: 1 May 2014, 07:29 am »
Hi bmoura,

I can definitely do it!   8)

Excellent!  How much does it add to the cost of the 3 upgrade levels for the HAP-Z1ES ?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #204 on: 1 May 2014, 10:22 pm »

All,

Tomorrow  is the last day of the preliminary pricing for the RWA-Z1ES-1 and -2 modifications. 

After this, they are $1495 (for Level 1) and $2250 (for Level 2).  Level 3 pricing remains the same at
$2995.

In other news, it looks like most places are out of stock of the Sony player, and should hopefully be getting more in mid-May.  If you order
the modification service now, you will still get the preliminary pricing and you can send in your Sony player directly to me to save
shipping.

I am also going to try to get some in stock (mid May).  An overseas customer was asking me about ordering a modded one directly, and modded for 240Vac operation.  I looked into it and I'm pretty confident that I can install a step-down transformer inside the unit, but only for the Level 3 modification (as I will not need to install the linear power supply for the tube stage since it is battery powered with the Level 3 mod), so I should be able to offer this and it would not require an external converter.  You would just plug your 240Vac directly into the IEC jack on the back panel.
This conversion will probably cost around $195.  Feel free to email me to discuss...   :argue:   :green:

Also, I'm becoming quite busy with modifications, along with the day-to-day RWA product builds.  Current lead-time is approx. 3 weeks from when we receive your unit.

Thank you,

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #205 on: 1 May 2014, 10:31 pm »
Excellent!  How much does it add to the cost of the 3 upgrade levels for the HAP-Z1ES ?

The remote volume control option (using Alps Blue Velvet, configured to run from the Sony remote handset and Sony iPad/Android App) will add $495. 

The SE headphone output stage (used in the Cassabria / Bellina HPA) will add $495. 

These can be added to any of the RWA-Z1ES-X upgrades with single-ended output option.   I'll be exploring the balanced output stage in a week or two, and would also need to see if we can implement a volume control option for the balanced option. 

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #206 on: 10 May 2014, 04:07 am »
All,

Just an update - I've been really busy getting RWA product built/shipped this week, and next week I'm going to be finishing up a few RWA-Z1ES
units that are in progress. 

I haven't had time to explore the BAL output stage mods yet.  I'll post more when I get there...

Vinnie

TheBloop

« Reply #207 on: 13 May 2014, 06:04 am »
Hi Vinnie,

Eventually, I'd like to do away with vinyl, my old shellac 78 RPM records, and CDs.  I own an old Olive Opus 4 music server, but it doesn't have high-enough resolution to give up on the original formats.  This Sony seems like a good alternative for my whole collection: Rock, Classical, Jazz, Electronic, Greek, Italian, etc.  I'm recording all my stuff into DSD from Tascam's new DA-3000. 

With that said, I'll need lots of storage, perhaps 4 TB.   Is only one additional SSD (or HDD) allowed to be added to the existing hard-drive or can I install multiple hard drives?  If only one could be added as currently allowed by Sony through their back panel USB (although not a preferred connection), to allow expansion in the future, could it be fixed to have capability of three or four drives?

It's acknowledged that the RCA connectors are to be replaced by RWA with Vampire Wire jacks.  That's fine.  Will the IEC power panel receptacle jack also be replaced?  My concern is with the two-prong receptacle as provided by Sony.  Nowadays, audiophiles discard the manufacturer's stock cords for exotic audiophile quality cables and most of those have three prongs, the third to a dedicated (isolated) ground.  This Sony and most mass-fi units are two-prong and there is no mention on your website if this would be changed.  I'm wondering if this unit gets a dedicated ground, if this would introduce noise?  It's not so much for grounding that I ask; I'd like to try better cables.

Please clarify some more about the third mod choice RWA-Z1ES-3.  If, say, one were to completely remove the batteries, could this music server still work by AC alone?     

Thanks.

bmoura

« Reply #208 on: 13 May 2014, 09:08 am »
A heads up for potential buyers, the Sony HAP-Z1ES is now back In Stock from Sony via their High Resolution Audio web site as promised this week. 
See http://store.sony.com/hi-res-music-player-with-1tb-hdd-zid27-HAPZ1ES/cat-27-catid-All-Res-Audio?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

audio.bill

« Reply #209 on: 13 May 2014, 01:28 pm »
A heads up for potential buyers, the Sony HAP-Z1ES is now back In Stock from Sony via their High Resolution Audio web site as promised this week. 
See http://store.sony.com/hi-res-music-player-with-1tb-hdd-zid27-HAPZ1ES/cat-27-catid-All-Res-Audio?_t=pfm%3Dcategory
It shows a status of Backordered just under the Add to Cart button.  :(

bmoura

« Reply #210 on: 13 May 2014, 06:30 pm »
It shows a status of Backordered just under the Add to Cart button.  :(

That was fast!  It was shown as In Stock just yesterday.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #211 on: 14 May 2014, 03:48 am »
Hi TheBloop,

Welcome to AC and the RWA forum!

Is only one additional SSD (or HDD) allowed to be added to the existing hard-drive or can I install multiple hard drives?

I'm not sure.  It might be possible to use a USB hub and connect multiple external hard drives. 

Will the IEC power panel receptacle jack also be replaced?  My concern is with the two-prong receptacle as provided by Sony.  Nowadays, audiophiles discard the manufacturer's stock cords for exotic audiophile quality cables and most of those have three prongs, the third to a dedicated (isolated) ground.

With the stock 2-prong IEC jack, you can use different, more exotic 3-prong IEC power cables.  They will still fit in the stock jack and the stock jack works fine.   :wink:

Please clarify some more about the third mod choice RWA-Z1ES-3.  If, say, one were to completely remove the batteries, could this music server still work by AC alone?     

Actually, yes.  There is a switch on the back panel to allow for AC/BATT mode.  If you are in AC mode, it plays/charges at the same time.  But if the batteries were removed from the unit, you can still play in AC mode.  The stock, linear supply (that I now use to charge the cells) will still provide power to the output stage.  But you are wasting money with the RWA-Z1ES-3 modification package if you don't use the LiFePO4 battery supply for critical listening because it is SWEET!!!  8)

Hi bmoura,

All sold out and I'm still waiting for a few units to have in stock.  They are very hot right now... for good reason!  :flame:

Vinnie

maril555

« Reply #212 on: 14 May 2014, 05:37 pm »
Hi TheBloop,

Welcome to AC and the RWA forum!

I'm not sure.  It might be possible to use a USB hub and connect multiple external hard drives. 

With the stock 2-prong IEC jack, you can use different, more exotic 3-prong IEC power cables.  They will still fit in the stock jack and the stock jack works fine.   :wink:

Actually, yes.  There is a switch on the back panel to allow for AC/BATT mode.  If you are in AC mode, it plays/charges at the same time.  But if the batteries were removed from the unit, you can still play in AC mode.  The stock, linear supply (that I now use to charge the cells) will still provide power to the output stage.  But you are wasting money with the RWA-Z1ES-3 modification package if you don't use the LiFePO4 battery supply for critical listening because it is SWEET!!!  8)

Hi bmoura,

All sold out and I'm still waiting for a few units to have in stock.  They are very hot right now... for good reason!  :flame:

Vinnie
It's probably me, and I readily admit to being VERY new to the computer- based playback, but I don't have a clear understanding of how it works with the external hard drive-
let say I have the internal 1 TB drive full of music files, and still have more music to play. So i get this extra music, that wouldn't "fit" on to internal hard drive, copied on the external drive.
Then, when I play files from the external drive, do they go to the internal drive in any kind of way, or internal drive is simply not being used, when I palyed files from the external one?
And if that's the case, whould the quality of the external drive need to match the quality of the internal 1 TB drive?
 Thanks in advance

smargo

« Reply #213 on: 14 May 2014, 06:51 pm »
It's probably me, and I readily admit to being VERY new to the computer- based playback, but I don't have a clear understanding of how it works with the external hard drive-
let say I have the internal 1 TB drive full of music files, and still have more music to play. So i get this extra music, that wouldn't "fit" on to internal hard drive, copied on the external drive.
Then, when I play files from the external drive, do they go to the internal drive in any kind of way, or internal drive is simply not being used, when I palyed files from the external one?
And if that's the case, whould the quality of the external drive need to match the quality of the internal 1 TB drive?
 Thanks in advance

Ok - so you have the extra music ripped on your computer or thumb drive - then transfer that music to the new external drive (format first) that you put on the back of the physical sony player (there is a usb slot for this) and your good to go - a lot of external hard drives are good to use - prob the external hard drive will be better then the internal drive that sony uses

the music stays on the external drive and doesnt go to the internal drive

bmoura

« Reply #214 on: 16 May 2014, 07:48 pm »
Hi bmoura,

Vinnie

Well, the Sony High Resolution Audio site shows the HAP-Z1ES back In Stock today.  No idea how long that will last....   :)

http://store.sony.com/hi-res-music-player-with-1tb-hdd-zid27-HAPZ1ES/cat-27-catid-All-Res-Audio?_t=pfm%3Dcategory

munosmario

« Reply #215 on: 16 May 2014, 09:37 pm »
As of this very minute they only have 20 left.

bmoura

« Reply #216 on: 17 May 2014, 06:12 am »
As of this very minute they only have 20 left.

Amazing.  Time for Sony to make more!  :)

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #217 on: 20 May 2014, 03:31 am »
Amazing.  Time for Sony to make more!  :)

Strange it says they have them in stock, when many of the online reseller are waiting to get more in stock to fulfill their backorders (including a few that I ordered!!!).  :o :o :o    Maybe Sony is finally getting the next batch of builds shipped out. 

I'm approx. 3 weeks backlogged on mods for these.  I should be shipping a couple of RWA-Z1ES-3's by Friday of this week, and will tackle a few more next week.  Modding them has been a more time-consuming process that I thought, but they are coming out very, very nice.  :thumb:   

For examples of options, I installed a 1TB SSD for a customer with RWA-Z1ES-2 modification (shipped last week) and I have a few who want remote volume control and/or input select switch. 

I know - I know.... some of you want balanced and I have NOT forgotten.  Just been tied up with this first round of mods, but I actually might be able to start working on the balanced output mods next week.  Imagine that!  Sorry for the delay.  :oops:   :roll:

Vinnie

bmoura

« Reply #218 on: 22 May 2014, 07:25 am »
Strange it says they have them in stock, when many of the online reseller are waiting to get more in stock to fulfill their backorders (including a few that I ordered!!!).  :o :o :o    Maybe Sony is finally getting the next batch of builds shipped out. 

Sony still shows them in stock.  And now one of the Amazon.Com sellers - Video & Audio Center in Southern California (where I bought mine) - shows 3 in stock as well.  So they are re-appearing, slowly.....

Tubegem

« Reply #219 on: 23 May 2014, 05:30 pm »
"For examples of options, I installed a 1TB SSD for a customer with RWA-Z1ES-2 modification (shipped last week) and I have a few who want remote volume control and/or input select switch." 

Hi Vinnie, what SSD are you using?

Received my HAP-Z1ES one week today.  No issues. Loaded my music from a iMac/WD external via wired ethernet.  Everything sounds very coherent and smooth while much more detailed and dynamic. On the cd ripped files, the recording qualities of the various albums really stand out.  Very pleased so far.