Adventures w/ Alpair 6M, 12, and MiniDsp

wushuliu

Re: Adventures w/ Alpair 6M, 12, and MiniDsp
« Reply #40 on: 15 Feb 2011, 06:43 am »
I'm not gonna sweat the bracing right now, especially since the drivers won't go lower than 200hz.

Well I guess I'll chase rainbows just a little longer. EL70s are up and running and they sound pretty, uh, new. Just 199 hours to go! :roll: Given the EL70s bass capabilities I may opt to build monitors with dual drivers (forward, not castle) if I like them - I like the Minidsp setup, but it's a lot of extra wiring and WAF is low.

wushuliu

« Reply #41 on: 21 Feb 2011, 07:43 am »
Some random notes: I did some quick A/Bing of Minidsp vs. no Minidsp from Dac to amp and could not detect any signal degradation. More resolving systems than mine would probably pick up something but I couldn't. Very impressed with it, the need for extra amp and wiring/switches aside.

EL70 is very enjoyable thus far and am very curious as to how it will develop over the next 175 hours. So far I am experiencing precise imaging, very quiet background, a little more forward than the A6/M but in a good way. What pops in my head when I listen is low distortion - I don't know what the measurements are but the sound makes me think of very low distortion 2-ways. Very good low level detail. Also I feel like I notice the absence of that 'metal driver' sound (resonance ?). Speaking of which I popped the CHR70s in again for a hot minute and gah! speaking of metallic, they sound great but there's such a metallic taste to the sound that I can only assume that goes away with break-in. The A12 had some of that too and I did not care for it. The EL70 does not match the width of the A6 in 3-D presentation and overall lushness (so far) but depth and low level detail seems superior.

What I love about the Mark Audio drivers, and the A6 and EL70 in particular is they have just right amount of top end for me. All the 2-ways I built, I spent hours and hours tweaking the tweeters (and sometimes the woofers if the design allowed) because I am sensitive to lower and upper treble frequencies. These drivers get that area just right for my ears.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #42 on: 21 Feb 2011, 08:31 am »
The EL70 does not match the width of the A6 in 3-D presentation and overall lushness (so far) but depth and low level detail seems superior.

A6 are the EnABLed ones you got from me, and the EL70 stock?

dave

wushuliu

« Reply #43 on: 21 Feb 2011, 08:34 am »

dave

Nope. Haven't bought eNy drivers. Yet...

wushuliu

« Reply #44 on: 24 Feb 2011, 01:50 am »

dave

Dave are there any plans with dual EL70s for a monitor-size build aside from the basic front-firing BR on Mark's site?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #45 on: 24 Feb 2011, 02:11 am »
Dave are there any plans with dual EL70s for a monitor-size build aside from the basic front-firing BR on Mark's site?

Yes. needs some work yet (Twin Mar-Kel, i haven't rationaized dimensions for metric or imperial). Plus some in the works (a Classic GR version).

dave

wushuliu

« Reply #46 on: 24 Feb 2011, 02:30 am »
Yes. needs some work yet (Twin Mar-Kel, i haven't rationaized dimensions for metric or imperial). Plus some in the works (a Classic GR version).

dave

Argh. Markel may be too hard with my meager workspace and tools. Classic GR I could do...

wushuliu

« Reply #47 on: 1 Mar 2011, 11:39 pm »
I have 2 more EL70s on the way. Trying to decide if I should do dual front-firing or put one on top firing upwards castle-style. These will be ~21L monitors with front baffle 2ft. out from rear wall. My big fear is if i do one set on top that I will lose the imaging that I like so much from the El70s, but at the same time I'm intrigued by the spaciousness they may provide. I guess there's only one way to know...

chrisby

« Reply #48 on: 2 Mar 2011, 08:42 pm »
I have 2 more EL70s on the way. Trying to decide if I should do dual front-firing or put one on top firing upwards castle-style. These will be ~21L monitors with front baffle 2ft. out from rear wall. My big fear is if i do one set on top that I will lose the imaging that I like so much from the El70s, but at the same time I'm intrigued by the spaciousness they may provide. I guess there's only one way to know...

if you forgo the driver bracing  or fancy rebating of drivers, you could probably blast together a quickie prototype pair in particle board in less than an afternoon - certainly less time that it takes to compile a forum consensus  :wink:

it's no secret that I'm a fan of this particular design - e.g. it suits my "domestic situation" better than the FH3

wushuliu

« Reply #49 on: 2 Mar 2011, 09:15 pm »
if you forgo the driver bracing  or fancy rebating of drivers, you could probably blast together a quickie prototype pair in particle board in less than an afternoon it's no secret that I'm a fan of this particular design - e.g. it suits my "domestic situation" better than the FH3

That's the game plan, take a day off from work, get some 3/4 baltic birch and have at it. Yes, my domestic situation puts the kibosh on any grand floorstanding dreams...

- certainly less time that it takes to compile a forum consensus  :wink:

:lol:  8)

jonners

« Reply #50 on: 2 Mar 2011, 11:01 pm »

I've made both castle-style and single driver floorstanders with CHP70s and I don't think the imaging was significantly worse in the former. Mind you, my room has got high ceilings (13ft.) so YMMV, etc.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #51 on: 2 Mar 2011, 11:04 pm »

With 2 EL70 in series a big cap across the one on top will revert the box to a single front facing driver at high frequencies.

In my room with vaulted ceiling i could tune the castles by moving it closer or further from the wall (same as closer or further from ceiling)
dave

wushuliu

« Reply #52 on: 2 Mar 2011, 11:57 pm »
With 2 EL70 in series a big cap across the one on top will revert the box to a single front facing driver at high frequencies.

In my room with vaulted ceiling i could tune the castles by moving it closer or further from the wall (same as closer or further from ceiling)
dave

Well if there's one thing I have plenty of from my multi-way days is big caps. I'll give that a go.

wushuliu

« Reply #53 on: 16 Mar 2011, 09:19 pm »
Dual ELs are done. I'll have pics up soon. Both forward-firing. I opted against putting one on top, but will probably try later down the road. Sound terrific. No bsc filter needed. Really are bass monsters.

JohnR

« Reply #54 on: 16 Mar 2011, 11:29 pm »
That was quick! Looking fwd to the pics.

wushuliu

« Reply #55 on: 26 Mar 2011, 05:44 pm »
Finally have some sunshine in LA, so here's a pic. The upper driver is about .25in offset. I did this because when testing dimensions using Edge baffle software this consistently gave a slightly smoother response, so I figured why not:

skeeter99

« Reply #56 on: 20 Apr 2011, 03:52 am »
Finally have some sunshine in LA, so here's a pic. The upper driver is about .25in offset. I did this because when testing dimensions using Edge baffle software this consistently gave a slightly smoother response, so I figured why not:

Nice! They look great  :thumb: Are they sealed or ported or ??? Sorry if I missed it if you already stated ...

wushuliu

« Reply #57 on: 20 Apr 2011, 04:43 am »
ported...

skeeter99

« Reply #58 on: 20 Apr 2011, 04:42 pm »
ported...

They look fantastic. Did you do a std flared port or a slot port or ... ?

wushuliu

« Reply #59 on: 20 Apr 2011, 06:50 pm »
They look fantastic. Did you do a std flared port or a slot port or ... ?

Ha. Your opinion would change if you saw them up close. Just a standard port. The end goal is still to actively cross
them over to my 8" woofers via Minidsp so the basic port placement is just for backup purposes until that's done. I am trying to break them in as much as possible before going active.