rick57

Re: timber EBS platform on top of a concrete floor
« Reply #20 on: 1 Sep 2008, 01:31 am »
Thanks guys, good advice

And Happy Birthday Kevin!   :beer: :birthday:

TerryO

« Reply #21 on: 1 Sep 2008, 02:22 am »
Build it ported and you can always plug it and try it sealed.    Nothing ventured nothing gained. 

I hate to disagree with you Mr. Haskins, but I think it would be easier to build it sealed and try it for awhile. If it doesn't wind your watch, you can then add ports. Just design the enclosure with ports calculated in, the typical ESB is pretty generous and forgiving when it comes to internal volume and it wouldn't hurt a sealed unit either.
Personally, I'd do a sealed unit as I think they really sound better although some of the modelling programs might lead you to think that it wouldn't.

Best Regards,
TerryO

rick57

« Reply #22 on: 2 Sep 2008, 08:46 am »
> the typical ESB is pretty generous and forgiving when it comes to internal volume

Yes; maybe its best to size it for a sealed Qt around 0.7, say 500 litres 18 cubic feet.
18 cubic feet doesn’t give maximise the EBS extension, but it still yields an f3 of 13.6 Hz . . 

But I think it’ll be much easier to put ports in during construction.

If three ports are used, that gives four tuning steps below 20 Hz from EBS to sealed . . 

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #23 on: 2 Sep 2008, 04:08 pm »
This is the point where you should be finishing all your head scratching and just build it.     You will scratch all the hair off your head and you will end up looking like me.   

Make a choice and build that sucker.   

rick57

« Reply #24 on: 4 Sep 2008, 02:14 am »
At least the scratching led to a better plan than the first one plan
I don’t have much hair left to scratch either!   :wink:
(Now to finish a workspace & make some room space)

Thanks for all the advice

proudGma

« Reply #25 on: 9 Oct 2008, 05:41 pm »
hello there,
If you have any further questions about carpet or flooring, you might want to look into this site.

http://www.myprimebuyersguide.com/ca/mountain-view-carpet-and-flooring-dealer.html

It may give you some extra resources for looking at carpet and flooring companies.

Aaron Gilbert

« Reply #26 on: 18 Oct 2008, 02:10 am »
I'll agree that this thread is one of the most informative on subwoofers I've read in a long time. I've been a fan of EBS for some time, not just for subwoofers, but full-range speakers as well. After reading this thread however, I am almost tempted to try sealed again! :)

I will say that I tried my Dayton Quatro sealed for a few days after listening to it's 11Hz tuning for years, and I felt like there was something missing on certain soundtracks, and definitely on frequency sweeps below 20Hz.

If I went sealed, how would I have the cool looking ports?? Here's the EBS Quatro, followed by recent pictures as I converted to the Tempest-X (now tuned to about 12Hz). With a tuning that low, the vented box will handle considerably more power above 10Hz.

« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2008, 08:49 am by Aaron Gilbert »

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #27 on: 18 Oct 2008, 05:31 pm »
Ok... that is the coolest looking sub I've seen Aaron.  If it was in my house though it would end up filled with Hot Wheels.    :lol:

Aaron Gilbert

« Reply #28 on: 20 Oct 2008, 08:54 am »
Yes, with the top firing wide open ports, I can forsee a problem with kids. :) I have only had to rescue a couple action figures from subwoofers at work. I think it was a little plastic alien.  :green: I've thought of putting a grill over the vents. Here's a picture with the grill over the woofer. I need to do a little routing to get it to fit over the Tempest-X's large rubber ring, but no biggie.

rick57

« Reply #29 on: 23 Oct 2008, 12:12 pm »
Aaron

I think you've created a new alignment: the deep sub as personal art  :thumb:  :green: :thumb:

Cheers

JoshK

« Reply #30 on: 23 Oct 2008, 03:23 pm »
I think you need to turn that grill into this...

At least that is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw your last photo and the skull next to it.

Aaron Gilbert

« Reply #31 on: 31 Oct 2008, 03:08 am »
I think you need to turn that grill into this...

At least that is the first thing that came to my mind when I saw your last photo and the skull next to it.

Hey, that's a great idea! Looks like there a bunch on eBay for cheap, perfect. That saves me a bunch of work. Thanks!