Latest project w/Exodus drivers

dyohn

• the12volt.com
Latest project w/Exodus drivers
« on: 24 Aug 2008, 09:30 pm »
These are dark cherry open-baffle systems using a Fountek CD3.0 tweeter, CSS WR125 mid, Exodus Audio EX-6.5 woofer and Exodus Audio XJ-12 woofer (a higher Qts version of the Shiva-X.)  The sub is driven by a surplus M&K VX-1250 amplifier (320 watts @ 4-ohms) and the main 3-way uses a 3rd-order passive crossover network @ 700 and 7500 Hz.  The WR125 is not high-passed so there is about a +3db boost below 700Hz to help compensate for baffle step (no BSC filter is employed.)  The crossover circuitry is inside the cigar box mounted on top of the amp housing.  :)  True RTA tells me that in-room response is within 2db of flat from about 200Hz up to 8KHz, with a +3-4db rise above that out to the limit of my microphone at 25KHz.  The Fountek is nice and sizzly, which is what I wanted.  Below 200Hz I can tailor the curve pretty much any way I want to using the on-board amp, but have it rising +6db @ 100Hz to compensate for the OB dipole losses.  The subs f3 below system average is around 24Hz.  They sound darn GOOD if I do say so myself.

Thanks to Kevin for some outstanding drivers!

Russell Dawkins

Re: Latest project w/Exodus drivers
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2008, 09:56 pm »
Congratulations on what appears to be a well thought-out project  :thumb:

Great that it sounds (and looks) good, too.

klh

« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2008, 10:15 pm »
Very cool :D. Does having all that stuff behind the sub affect the rear wave? I would expect there to be some pressure build up between the two thus imparting coloration somewhat characteristic of a sealed box. If not a pressure buildup then a at least a reflection back through the cone.

dyohn

• the12volt.com
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2008, 10:26 pm »
Thanks guys.  KLH, none that I can detect, but that does not mean it's not happening.  I do get the stereotypical dipole subwoofer sound with cancellation 90-degrees off axis, but as far as any "reflected wave" causing issues in the subwoofer band, none that are obvious.  The stereo subs are being driven off the LFE channel of my pre-pro while I test the sound.  So far, so good.

-edit- oh by the way, since I snapped those shots I cleaned up the insides and straightened the mounting of the amps.   :oops:

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2008, 12:25 am »
Nice work! Wow! I have a pair of XJ-12's that I will be putting into a U-frame enclosure. Bass must sound real nice in your system.

Dude, nice job. You make other DIY'ers like myself blush and you put to shame some high end companies as well!

If you can post some of your measurements in room that would be nice.

Best,
Anand.

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2008, 11:56 pm »
Very nice Dr. Dave.   I didn't know you where so handy with the tools!

I think you need some DPL-15s.   :wink:

dyohn

• the12volt.com
« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2008, 02:45 pm »

Thanks Kevin.  I like to play around with power tools.  It helps me to compensate for the feelings of inadequacy created by sitting behind a desk all day at work.   8)

Oh, 27mm of Xmax is wondrous to behold.  ;)

DPL-15's in a dipole H-frame might rumble the neighborhood...

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2008, 10:16 pm »

Thanks Kevin.  I like to play around with power tools.  It helps me to compensate for the feelings of inadequacy created by sitting behind a desk all day at work.   8)

Oh, 27mm of Xmax is wondrous to behold.  ;)

DPL-15's in a dipole H-frame might rumble the neighborhood...

Ha!   I guess I need to compensate too because most of the day that is where I'm located!   

Yea.... I really need to get some DPL-10 & DPL-15 designs up on the web.   Just not enough time in the day.

klh

« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2008, 11:03 pm »
Hey Kevin... I think you should do a WMT with a DPL-15, an EX-6.5 and an open back NEO-3 PDR. That would be pretty cool. If you could make it fit, two DPL-15's, two EX-6.5's and an open back NEO-3 PDR in a WWMTM would probably be even better. Actively biamping them with your digital Exodus Audio amps would make one killer pair of speakers.

TerryO

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2008, 09:45 pm »
Hey Kevin... I think you should do a WMT with a DPL-15, an EX-6.5 and an open back NEO-3 PDR. That would be pretty cool. If you could make it fit, two DPL-15's, two EX-6.5's and an open back NEO-3 PDR in a WWMTM would probably be even better. Actively biamping them with your digital Exodus Audio amps would make one killer pair of speakers.

I've been telling him the same thing for what? A year or two now. The problem with Kevin is, that his mind has so many things and ideas racing through it, coupled with trying to run a business and balancing all that with a family, there just aren't enough hours in a day.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Kevin Haskins

« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2008, 05:40 pm »

I've been telling him the same thing for what? A year or two now. The problem with Kevin is, that his mind has so many things and ideas racing through it, coupled with trying to run a business and balancing all that with a family, there just aren't enough hours in a day.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Yea... I have to work on the things that pay the bills.    It is a relatively easy design task but I have too much on my plate as it is.   I need fewer projects, not more and I need to focus on the ones that are likely to pay.   

klh

« Reply #11 on: 2 Sep 2008, 05:24 pm »
Kevin... I hear ya loud and clear. One of the nice things about this business is dyohn has clearly shown that DIY enthusiasts can take your drivers and make beautiful open baffle speakers on their own. Maybe he'll get the itch to do something even bigger and bolder than what he's already done ;).