What is your everyday coffee, and what is your special

guf

Re: What is your everyday coffee, and what is your special
« Reply #40 on: 13 Apr 2021, 03:44 pm »
I’ve really been enjoying this thread. I rarely drink coffee and every time I make it, it tastes like shit because I don’t have good equipment, or brewing methods, or and my coffee storing methods were bunk. So I’ve been learning how to make a good cuppa coffee. I bought a kitchen scale,  burr grinder, and an AeroPress. Wow what a nice upgrade this has been. I’m still getting my method dialed in but it is so much easier with an AeroPress.  I’ve also been watching James Hoffman videos. He is fabulous!
Thanks for all your guys help with upping my coffee game. Much appreciated.
Great story! I love to hear this. And yes James Hoffman  is extremely entertaining and knowledgeable. I think I learned about him on one of these coffee threads. Pretty amazing that you can get a great cup of coffee with a simple device like an aeropress or a pour over. And similar to Audio starting with a good source helps, the trend now (20 years now) is freshly roasted. Most people have access to that locally if not it’s easy enough to get them shipped to you. my aeropress as mostly use for travel now. And since I haven’t been traveling I haven’t been using it. I think I will this afternoon.

SET Man

« Reply #41 on: 14 Apr 2021, 03:53 am »
I’ve really been enjoying this thread. I rarely drink coffee and every time I make it, it tastes like shit because I don’t have good equipment, or brewing methods, or and my coffee storing methods were bunk. So I’ve been learning how to make a good cuppa coffee. I bought a kitchen scale,  burr grinder, and an AeroPress. Wow what a nice upgrade this has been. I’m still getting my method dialed in but it is so much easier with an AeroPress.  I’ve also been watching James Hoffman videos. He is fabulous!
Thanks for all your guys help with upping my coffee game. Much appreciated.

Hey!

Yeah, you don't need expensive fancy machine to get a good cup of coffee.

For me equipment wise, I have a simple Bodum French press and Capresso Burr grinder... sometime I use Bialetti Moka pot to make iced coffee. Of course the most important of all... you need good beans to start with. And that pretty much it.

Buddy

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

gonefishin

« Reply #43 on: 23 Aug 2021, 12:10 am »
    I usually have whatever green bean is up for being roasted.  Started roasting a while ago on a FreshRoast.  Just got a Huky a while back that I roast on now.  If I buy coffee I usually make it something special that I want.  Something from Dark Matter, Ten Drops...jbc el jocote is the last bag I bought.

Most times I use my Hario v60 for the cup.  Once in a while I'll use the espresso machine or the French press...and on even less of an occasion I'll make a proper Irish coffee (YUM!).  Oh, we've always got some cold brew going as well.

Hornucopia

« Reply #44 on: 7 Sep 2022, 09:45 pm »
I ran a vegetarian cafe here in Bristol (UK) for 28 years.
We had our own blend coffee a generation before all these newcomers popped up!
It was a blend of Java and Ethiopian beans; Java for strength, mellowed by the Ethiopian.
I liked using Ethiopian coffee as that's where coffee is reputed to have originated (not in Brazil!)
I'm missing Lidl's Ethiopian coffee as they seem to have stopped doing it-AND the cost has gone up 30%!
Maybe my old supplier will let me have a small amount
Rather amused at the heights of hype surrounding coffee though.
Picked at full moon by dusky maidens, etc..?