Nuforce Ref 9 SE V3 Input Sensitivity

ClothEars

Nuforce Ref 9 SE V3 Input Sensitivity
« on: 16 Jun 2013, 08:14 am »
I have a question regarding the input sensitivity on my REF 9's.
The specs quote 3V for full output yet most other power amps are setup for 2V for full output.
I am using a passive preamp (Lightspeed Attenuator) and so am limited by the output from my CD source which is 2V.
Why does the REF 9 use 3V instead of 2V?  It appears I can only hope for 2/3rds of the rated output and may have to think about changing power amps (which I would rather not do).
I am driving Magneplanar 1.7's and love the combination but yearn to access the full power of the REF 9's.
Are any other passive preamp users in this situation?

georgehifi

• Industry Participant
Re: Nuforce Ref 9 SE V3 Input Sensitivity
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2013, 10:03 am »
If you try it and your not full up on the Lightspeed Attenuator to get to the loudness you want then there's nothing to to be worried about, your not running out of headroom if that's what you think, and your not compressing the signal in any way. So if it's not full up you have enough gain for your speakers.

Cheers George   

ClothEars

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2013, 11:14 am »
Thanks for your input George.  In fact many many thanks for being the pioneer with these LDR type attenuators. It's simply the best sound I've heard from a passive device bar none.

My problem rests with some tracks on CD that just don't reach the desired listening level when the Lightspeed is at full volume. (Hugh Masekela's track "Stimela" for instance).
An additional problem is the output from my Linn Linto (using a Koetsu Black) only supplies around 1V and so I don't listen to my LP's as much as I would like due to the reduced level.

My view was that if the Nuforce Ref 9's were more sensitive (say 2V) this would not be such a problem and I would reach the desired listening level.
Hence the idea that a change of power amp may be required if I can't change the sensitivity of the Nuforce amps (which I doubt you can).

georgehifi

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2013, 09:04 pm »
Trouble here is that Nuforce have not followed what the rest of the industy does and made their amp 1-2v input sensitivity. Instead making it 3v, not good pratice.

There are a few ways to get more system gain. Lets start with the first one.
Is your source 2v and what is it's make model?

Cheers George

ClothEars

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2013, 09:48 am »
I am using a Denon DVD 3910 that has a nominal output of 2V.  The unit has been modified by Joe Rasmussen but he confirms the same output voltage.

georgehifi

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2013, 10:19 am »
First compare it with another stock cdp to see if it's down on output.
I heard a few of Joe's cdp output stage mods and they are nearly alway's below in output volts to what the machine started with.
You could ask Joe if it is possible to up the gain of his mods another 50% I'm sure it's doable.

Cheers George

ClothEars

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2013, 10:21 am »
Thanks George, I'll follow that up with Joe.